Flysky FS-T6 range problems

Kbat11700

So I have a flysky FS-T6 paired to a flysky 9 channel receiver. I tried to maiden a new scratch build when I lost input at about 100ft away. To be sure I did a range test and right about 100ft I completely lost control and the speed control would beep like it had no input (which it didn't).

Now, I'm hoping it's just the receiver because this transmitter is just fine for what I do and I don't want to buy a new one. But before I go buy a new receiver, is there a way to test?

I also have a 6ch receiver but unfortunately I have never been able to get it to bind. I don't have a bind key so I can't try unless my friend with one is here.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Either you have damage the antenna or don’t have it placed correctly.

The coax antenna cable is subject damage, especially in a crash. Look at where the antenna comes out of the Rx case. If the outer brade is damage you will need to repair or replace the antenna.

Make sure the antenna is away from anything metal, electrical or carbon fiber

Reactions: FDS

Kbat11700

Either you have damage the antenna or don’t have it placed correctly.

The coax antenna cable is subject damage, especially in a crash. Look at where the antenna comes out of the Rx case. If the outer brade is damage you will need to repair or replace the antenna.

Make sure the antenna is away from anything metal, electrical or carbon fiber

Yeah the outer layer us severed where the antenna leaves the case. How would I repair it?

FDS

Elite member
You have to open it up and replace the antenna with one the same length. The ends are quite small to solder. Sometimes they are available on eBay etc.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The process is basically the same to repair or replace. You need to open the Rx and see how the antenna is soldered on to the broad. In the picture, the antenna is the bit that is 31.23cm long, the black part is the antenna lead. The lead can be any length, the antenna must be the exact length. You need to cut off the offending part of the lead, prep it and solder it back onto the board. You damage the outer braid of the antenna, this let in unwanted signal and killed your range. This picture is a mono pole antenna, yours is a dipole, is has a brass tube added. I agree with @FDS the antenna end is a bit difficult to solder.

1560124623999.jpg

Here is a video to replace a Tx antenna, the process is the same for the Rx. After the repair be sure to test the range. I turn on the Tx, put it on the ground and walk away with the Rx in my hand. You will be able to tell when you lose connection when the red light in the Rx goes out. I like to go at least 500 feet away.

Last edited:
Reactions: FDS

kdobson83

The Flysky T6 has a REALLY short range. I found that at about 200 feet out it would loose signal. My antennas were fine. I HIGHLY suggest selling your T6 on ebay. I got $35 for mine. And get a Flysky i6 or i6x. They run 45-50 on eBay, use the same receivers, and go about 2 kilometers, MUCH further than visible range lol.
Your 100 foot range seems shorter than mine but even if you do have a broken antenna and fix it, your range won't go much further. I HIGHLY recommend moving to the i6x. 10 channels too!

Kbat11700

The process is basically the same to repair or replace. You need to open the Rx and see how the antenna is soldered on to the broad. In the picture, the antenna is the bit that is 31.23cm long, the black part is the antenna lead. The lead can be any length, the antenna must be the exact length. You need to cut off the offending part of the lead, prep it and solder it back onto the board. You damage the outer braid of the antenna, this let in unwanted signal and killed your range. This picture is a mono pole antenna, yours is a dipole, is has a brass tube added. I agree with @FDS the antenna end is a bit difficult to solder.

View attachment 133187

Here is a video to replace a Tx antenna, the process is the same for the Rx. After the repair be sure to test the range. I turn on the Tx, put it on the ground and walk away with the Rx in my hand. You will be able to tell when you lose connection when the red light in the Rx goes out. I like to go at least 500 feet away.

I just opened up the receiver and located the solder joint. It's pretty small but I have small pointy soldering tips I can use. But considering a new receiver is $10, I'm just going to go that route.

The Flysky T6 has a REALLY short range. I found that at about 200 feet out it would loose signal. My antennas were fine. I HIGHLY suggest selling your T6 on ebay. I got $35 for mine. And get a Flysky i6 or i6x. They run 45-50 on eBay, use the same receivers, and go about 2 kilometers, MUCH further than visible range lol.
Your 100 foot range seems shorter than mine but even if you do have a broken antenna and fix it, your range won't go much further. I HIGHLY recommend moving to the i6x. 10 channels too!

If the new receiver (that I already ordered) doesn't help me, an upgrade to the i6 seems like a great idea, thanks!