flysky i6s start to finish

sundown57

Legendary member
i have noticed a few people in here that have gone out and bought these i6s transmitters plus the 22in1 cable and the irangerx but finding out how to use any of it is a bit of a challenge. so it was suggested someone start a thread for just that. I am a newbie , bought my first transmitter 2 weeks ago thinking it would run the drones i have plus the planes im building. so i bought the irangerx. then i got lost. it says to make a new channel, when i do i see sw,swb or what ever they are, no idea what any of that means or how to use it. so i thought this might be a good place for some one that knows how to use it. pick a project to do with the i6s and talk me throught it on here and that way others can learn too. any takers ?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
i have noticed a few people in here that have gone out and bought these i6s transmitters plus the 22in1 cable and the irangerx but finding out how to use any of it is a bit of a challenge. so it was suggested someone start a thread for just that. I am a newbie , bought my first transmitter 2 weeks ago thinking it would run the drones i have plus the planes im building. so i bought the irangerx. then i got lost. it says to make a new channel, when i do i see sw,swb or what ever they are, no idea what any of that means or how to use it. so i thought this might be a good place for some one that knows how to use it. pick a project to do with the i6s and talk me throught it on here and that way others can learn too. any takers ?

In the interest of full disclosure, this gentleman is my Uncle. My son and I donated our drones to his family, when the one I bought him for his birthday didn't work. The whole darn family went crazy with them. Then he went full out addicted to DTFB planes, like overnight. Ya'll have no idea! :p:love:

Uncle? Post just a couple pics of your beautiful builds. They would garner respect. You builds are respect-worthy. There are so many of us here who are willing to help anybody with anything. I've seen the pics of your builds. They deserve to fly.

For me, the darn transmitter has been the hardest thing to figure out ever since I got into this. I've got a new one, with OpenTX, and I've barely scratched the surface of trying to learn it. My son and I are still flying with the Turnigy, just because I got it set up, and only when we're able to fly, which is rare.

I told him to post his question because I could not help. I am counting on my Forum Family to do so. Ya'll step up and do what we do! :D

bracesport

Legendary member
I'm no expert on receivers (I do have an i6s) - as I am aware you need a receiver that is an AFHDS 2A spec to bind with it - the rest is easy!

sundown57

Legendary member
At least I get as much fun if not more out of building them then flying them so that a plus for me. These are the four I built so far, then immediately crashed. first 2 are standard size second 2 are at 109% it made the wing a full 31 inches instead of 24 yet still could get 2 wings from one sheet. But I also found out that at 31 inches the wings snap off under their own weight. So on 109 number 2 I added 2 pieces of string . That helped a lot and made it a lot stronger. I also found out ( thanks to a post in this forum) straws make way better hinges then just cutting them. Now to tacked the weak landing gear .

Attachments

• IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3448.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3443.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
curious why you started another 16s thread. I thought that's what I did here? did i put it in the wrong place or something?

sundown57

Legendary member
oh your lucky, i started out confused. OK i read a thread were 2 other guys had about the same i6s as i did and wanted help with it and suggested starting a thread just for the i6s. so i agreed and started this one so every thing on i6s would be here in one place. thats why i names it i6s start to finish. so why a new thread ? or am i confused ?

sundown57

Legendary member
i think i too have read one too many threads. i am every bit as new to the forum stuff as i am to rc flying. this is the first forum ever for me so figured i had messed it up. that being said i did read your post. as for the set up of the plane im good with that , i did use the i6ab that came with it and got that set up fairly easily, also so far i have only built the se 5 and it doesn't have ailerons so that hasnt been a problem yet. I did get a couple sims to work and that help a lot figure out trim, and setting limits on the controller. what im having trouble with now is i thought with that irangerx i would be able to connect to at least some of the drones i have but got super lost when it started talking about open tx, setting channels and that AFHDS 2a stuff. is that what the irangerx is for ?

MorningViewFPV

yes the irangex is for allowing control of toy drones as well as other types of receivers. ignore open tx and taranis in the manual, you don't have that.

sundown57

Legendary member
i did see that video early on when i got the iranger. problem i ran into is if i look at the instruction. some of the drones call for either rudder right/left and elevator up/down. when i move just that stick the light on the iragers turns on and flashes. Any combination that calls for aileron or throttle. left stick only the light never comes on. also when it calls for left and right stick together the light never comes on. and none of the 10 or so drones i have ever bound. for some reason, the iranger is not reading the left stick on the transmitter, yet the left stick works fine in the sims i have used and for flying the SE5`s i have built

bracesport

Legendary member
The irangex thing is quite interesting - I’ll follow this to learn something. I had a quick look at the irangerx on bangood and it seems to me there are several versions? Could that be a factor?

AFHDS 2a is important for the i6s where as the i6 is older and has both AFHDS and AFHDS 2a so look out for the 2a protocol

I know nothing of drones!

Good luck

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
oh and btw I really like that (In the interest of full disclosure) line. That was a really slick way to tell everyone how great of an uncle you have and still not sound like your bragging.
Nah, I was just covering my backside in case you suck and I've got to bail you out! :LOL:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@sundown57 - straw hinges look interesting - I might try that with a smaller straw-type tube!
Uncle? That video? Yea, the straw hinges are frackin' awesome. I'm glad he didn't come up with them. I'd never hear the end of it. :p He has however, sort of perfected it. It's sort of random, you need the right size straws to fit into each other, but the end result is an actual hinge. It's like a door hinge and it works better than any cutting or ironing there is.

Just flop the plane around without the control rods, and the control surfaces just drop to full deflection, no resistance, no restriction. They just flop around. Plus they're strong. It's pretty flawless.

I've personally gone a different route. I like the ironing method of making hinges. My birds just don't last that long, and I get beautiful hinges in moments that will last the life of the bird. I'm not the builder he is though. I'm happy with brown paper and colored tape, so long as it flies!

I claim to be a perfectionist, and I am. But there are levels and then there are levels. I want to build it perfect enough that it flies perfectly. He wants to build it perfect and then see if it flies. That's not semantics. That's diametrically opposed philosophies that each depend upon the perfection of the build.

Ya'll have fun with noodling that one! :cool:

MorningViewFPV

i did see that video early on when i got the iranger. problem i ran into is if i look at the instruction. some of the drones call for either rudder right/left and elevator up/down. when i move just that stick the light on the iragers turns on and flashes. Any combination that calls for aileron or throttle. left stick only the light never comes on. also when it calls for left and right stick together the light never comes on. and none of the 10 or so drones i have ever bound. for some reason, the iranger is not reading the left stick on the transmitter, yet the left stick works fine in the sims i have used and for flying the SE5`s i have built
create a new model .... dumb question but how are you powering the module? power it up (with a 1s battery i think) first, then drone (wait a second so when it receives no signal it will go into binding mode) then radio while holding sticks in position.
put a couple feet distance between you and the quad. ...also since the irangex is going through the "trainer" port there might be some settings in the radio ...like "trainer port" or something...when i get to a flysky radio later today i'll poke through and see what i see.... if you can't get it bring it to flitefest and i'll fix it for ya