Flyzone Calypso or Parkzone Radian Pro

paytonc11

I am having trouble deciding between the Parkzone Radian Pro and the Flyzone Calypso. I want ailerons on the glider so that's the reason I'm going for these two. For anyone that has flown or has any information please let me know how you feel on these two gliders! Thanks!

Payton

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Calypso.

Hands down (and not just because I own one ;) )

1150691_521979841207854_680845136_o.jpg

The Radian is an awesome flyer, but unfortunately adding the flap/aileron servos and flattening the wing really undid many of the things that made the Radian the great plane that it was . . . and Flyzone learned E-flite's lessons.

The Calypso is a great compromise between the two. very stable, very floaty, very powerful and full house + flaps.

I *do* recommend the flaps add-on (really just the servo horns -- add 2 HXT900's and you're done cheap), I do recommend adding an inch to the prop (I've run the stock 9x6, 10x6 and 10x7 . . . and the motor/ESC doesn't mind the bigger prop and climbs like a rocket)

Stock flies beautifully with a 3S 1300. Add a touch of tail weight and it flies nearly *FOREVER* with a 3S 2200.

I **REALLY** recommend adding lights. She makes a *GREAT* night glider . . . I just added them to mine and I can't believe I waited so long to put 'em on.

DSC02079.JPG

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I second Dan's opinion of the Calypso, I flew one for the first time this morning, and it's a lovely aircraft. It carries energy very well, behaves nicely under power or in the glide, and telegraphs any lift with a quick waggle.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
The calypso is a great combination of the radian and radian pro. A little tip, program in dual ailerons so you can get crow, which will slow it down crazily fast, flaps alone are good as well though. HAPPY FLYING!!!! also, about 20% flaps when in a thermal (mix channel 5 with 6, then put +100 and 0 or -100 and 20% or 15% offset) will cause crazy climb without power, or stalling.

Bellke

I got a Calypso for my 2nd plane and decided to add flaps but now have a question, how to you "sync" (probably not the right word) the two servos? In the flaps up position one flap is in the normal position, the other slightly raised. When lowered, one is lower than the other.

Also have a question concerning the elevator, with my stick centered I have a LOT of down elevator and it takes full up trim to bring it close to neutral. How do I "center" the servo so I have close to the same amount of movement in each direction?

bstanley72

I got a Calypso for my 2nd plane and decided to add flaps but now have a question, how to you "sync" (probably not the right word) the two servos? In the flaps up position one flap is in the normal position, the other slightly raised. When lowered, one is lower than the other.

Also have a question concerning the elevator, with my stick centered I have a LOT of down elevator and it takes full up trim to bring it close to neutral. How do I "center" the servo so I have close to the same amount of movement in each direction?

In both cases you mechanically adjust the length of the servo to flap/elevator push rods. In other words tighten or loosen the connector to get it to the proper length.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
First connect and let the plane find where it thinks center is (center for the servos) then unscrew the connectors, move the control surface to center retighten the connectors. HAPPY FLYING!!!!

rcdelmar

I have not flown the calypso and own two Radian Pro's. one that is motorized and another that is purely for sloping. Notice that the Calypso has absolutely no reinforcement in the nose while the radian pro at least has a plastic cowling up front to help it withstand some abuse. I think the Calypso is a cheaper plane for that fact alone. In my opinion, you will get much more out of flying the Radian Pro with its full house set up than you will flying a Calypso. I've learned so much from using crow and camber and other settings with the Pro that it has carried over into other gliders that I've gone on to purchase. I've flown a GoPro3 on my radian and it glides and handles the weight easily. I vote Radian Pro if you are looking for a good all round glider that you will return to fly again and again even after you graduate to other planes.

I have some Radian Pro videos on my Youtube channel should you want to check them out 28th St. Air Land & Sea is the channel. Good luck