Flyzone micro cub review.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey all.
I got home from my grandparent's house today, and had something waiting on my doorstep.
I opened it up expecting a HZ champ, but no, Something better!

100_3597.JPG

I got a box. But what was in the box?

Yippee!

100_3598.JPG

100_3599.JPG

I quickly installed the AA's and got the 140 MAh Lipo cell charging, and read the instruction manual.

100_3605.JPG

100_3601.JPG

Struts were next.

100_3602.JPG

Carrier ops off the Ironing board?

100_3604.JPG

Okay, it looks good, so now I have to beg a ride to my park!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I got a ride, so off to the park, on the box it said that a flight time of 10 minutes was possible... Hmm.

100_3611.JPG

Flight characteristics were trainer like, however I was able to execute 2 barrel rolls and a loop before settling into scale flight.

100_3614.JPG

Takeoffs would have been easier if I wouldn't have had a crosswind, but were possible until the battery ran down to far to clear the grass.

100_3619.JPG

I was able to fly for 16 minutes in a light wind, occasionally flirting with a stall, but I was very impressed with this flight time.

All in all, this is a great plane, but NOT for a beginner when flown outdoors. I do not have an Indoor Venue that is easily accessible, so I can't vouch for that. If you have 70$, and want a first micro, pick one up as soon as you can. This is a great little RET aerobat outside.

Pros:
Easy assembly.
Real servos!
Plenty of power.
Maneuverable as I'll get out!
Lands nicely.
Nice wheels.

Cons:
Instruction manual could be better.
Struts pop off every 3 to 4 landings.
EDIT: My prop was very fragile, and disintegrated on a gentle nose over.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
FA, nice review!

That looks like a good answer to the PZ Champ.

Have you played with the champ to compare it against?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Thank you, I was getting worried...

This is really an answer to PZ UMs, especially with all the TX Ready aircraft out there.

I've never even seen a champ outside of FT, but it flies lighter than most UM I've flown. that being said, this is my first UM that I've actually owned. Tonight I broke the prop on a light landing nose over, I hope that this is Isolated. I modded it with reduced Dihedral and a TGS 5x5, which I would not recommend. A GWS 4.75x4.75 would be better. It does hover well now though!

I will amend my above statement. Yes it is a trainer, No I would not train someone on it.

Last edited: