FMS/Airfield P51 Mustang

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
Here is a pic of my Mustang. I have done a few mods (paint mostly) since this picture was taken but you get the idea. I will try to get a more recent one posted soon. Is anyone else flying this plane? Mine was slightly used when I bought it on Craigslist but it flew pretty well. I did have an issue with the ESC so I put in a Castle Creations 10 amp BEC and that seemed to take care of it. Instead of the stock 4 blade prop I am running a 2 blade prop and a Zippy Flight Max 5000 mAh 35C lipo pack, it gave me another 10 mph (approx) and increased my flight time to about 7 minutes with a little throttle management. I love the way it looks and flies, very scale in the air.

I painted the wingtips and the horizontal stabilizer tips red and it really looks sharp. The wheels are dark grey now and the cockpit and pilot have been painted and detailed as well. Post the pics of your Mustang and lets see what you got...

Attachments

• Shangri-La.jpg
    Shangri-La.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 313

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
A friend of mine has the P-40 version by Airfield and I've been thinking about getting the Corsair kit with retracts. I like the size and I like the price. I didn't check how much shipping will bump that up though.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Are you flying off a grass field? I've been thinking about the 1400mm AirField planes but our club runway is grass and I wasn't sure how well they'd do taking off/landing on a grass field. I have a few of the 800mm AirField planes and they belly land nice though.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
We have the benefit of both. We have tall grass that we can land in wheels up very softly and a small road for gear down landings. I recommend the gear up landings in the grass until you are comfortable keeping it level and a reasonable speed so close to the ground.

And before you land on a hard surface make sure you are familiar with taxiing at a comparative speed. Some planes do a lot of swaying back and forth which could cause a little mishap.

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It just looks like it would be prone to nosing over on grass since the wheels don't extend past the leading edge of the wing.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I agree. I wouldn't land with the gear down on the grass. Depending on your skills with that airframe, a nice hay field might be a good option before introducing your plane to hard ground. Grass fields are much more forgiving. Just do them, gear UP.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Even the field in the video to me seems a bit rough. At higher speeds I would be concerned about ripping the mainmounts out of the wheelwells. I still recommend at least some taxiing around so you know what to expect right after landing.

Tim Hoyer

Watch This!!!!!
I have their P47, Blue Nose 51 and just finished building the Zero. They fly great with a Turnigy 3542SK 500kv motor.

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
There are a bunch of Youtube videos for this airframe that are flown from a grass field. Actually the gear does extend ahead of the leading edge. On the first version of this plane it did not. They revised it on the 2nd or 3rd versions. I have seen many of the 1400mm Airfield/FMS planes flown on grass and it really depends on the length of the grass and the surface of the field. I know it can be done, I have not because we have a paved runway. Look up MrRcflying (Youtube) and check out his back yard runway landings with the P51.

TheRCFool

Super Cub Love
I have one. The V2 model. Only issues ive had with it are landing gear. Might have something to do with me always having to remove the wings for transport.

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
In the shop

My P51 is currently undergoing a facelift in the form of a partial re-paint and a change of livery. I'll also do some weathering and detail work. Pictures will be posted here after shes complete. I would like to get her done asap because I have a brand new FMS 1400mm Zero I need to weather, detail and assemble.

WarbirdFan66

...There are a bunch of Youtube videos for this airframe that are flown from a grass field...
I agree, with the newer version of the P-51, grassfields are not really a problem anymore. I dont own a P-51 but im flying a FMS Spitfire (changed the rake of the gear on my model) and since then i have no problems with noseovers anymore. And the weight of the plane is not really an issue. But you need parctice...stronger gear or more forward rake or not, if you come in to fast or put her down to rough, something might break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-7hKLyC34&list=UUqZvOHU2tIir_MHyvjKWj4w&index=1&feature=plcp

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Well my boy has the Airfield P-51. The blue one with retracts and flaps. Should be in the air this week.

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
He should really enjoy flying it. Mine is a V2, pre-flaps. Gotta bring these birds in at about 1/4 throttle, they don't float very well, even with flaps.