FMS P-40B Warhawk 980mm Owner's Thread

smithhayward

Large Child
Hey Everyone, I searched the warbirds forum section for P-40 and got zip, zero, zilch so I figured I'd create one in the hopes that others might pick one of these up or for the future so someone else can find a member with the same plane.

1437439459461-P-2855399.jpg

I picked up the FMS P-40B Warhawk 980mm ARF (w/o ESC) yesterday from Gearbest for about $123 shipped.

I also picked up 2 replacement props (the pretty scale painted ones) from MotionRC and the 2200mAh 4s 35c batteries from RCJetWerx. They say putting a larger 2-blade on this bird it can get up to 100mph. I would $&#% my pants...

Anyway, just thought I'd kick this off looking for others who have the same plane, ask what your experiences have been with balancing, repairing, etc. What works, what doesn't and for us to have a place to look for model specific help with repair WHEN (not if) that fateful day comes when she noses into the tarmac.

I have one, and it's an awesome plane. If you bought from gearbest you might as well start looking to order an esc, as they don't come with it as advertised. Ask me how I know :mad:

smithhayward

Large Child
Yup, they had already updated the product page with a note about the ESC. I was lucky that when I first got into this hobby back in July 2015, I bought a nice 70A ESC in anticipation of higher-current motors. This plane going on sale was "meant to be"... Glad you like the plane, I'm super excited to maiden it at my club's new airfield (we're putting down the geotex (?) this weekend).

Last edited:

smithhayward

Large Child
I have one, and it's an awesome plane. If you bought from gearbest you might as well start looking to order an esc, as they don't come with it as advertised. Ask me how I know :mad:

Hey PakRat - what's the prop size and pitch if you have the plane handy? My spare props are going to beat the plane here, but I found a good deal on some CF dual-blade 10x6 and 9x6 props. I was thinking of going a little smaller on the prop to start so I can get a feel for her before really letting her loose. Thoughts?

smithhayward

Large Child
Thanks! Have you ever put a 2-blade on, and if so which one and how did it perform. Do you think it would be able to take a 12x6, I don't have the plane yet and don't know the clearance from prop to ground when level with the ground?

smithhayward

Large Child
Not yet, mine will arrive on Friday. Not sure if I'll get to fly this weekend, but as soon as I do, I'm sure I'll capture some video and pictures.