Solved Foam backing not coming off

OlliePackman

I have got some "simplex" Foam board which I am scratch building with but the paper backing won't sperate from the foam. It's OK with the smaller pieces as I can hot wire cut it off but what can I do for the larger pieces that I need to curve? Will it curve on the edge of a table with the backing on?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I have used rubbing alcohol to wet the paper backing then rub it off for foamboard like that. However, as a warning, your foamboard is likely heaver then the recommended DTFB / (and I suspect the FT foamboard) as the stronger glues tend to only be on the heavier foam boards.

OlliePackman

I have used rubbing alcohol to wet the paper backing then rub it off for foamboard like that. However, as a warning, your foamboard is likely heaver then the recommended DTFB / (and I suspect the FT foamboard) as the stronger glues tend to only be on the heavier foam boards.
Eeeh it ull be fine, more powerful motors if needs be 😂. Thanks

JasonK

the heaver foam board can also effect your ability to get your CG right (as more of the foam tends to be behind the CG point then in front)

JasonK

and you know about the WCL impact? if so, and understand what all those changes mean for flight, then all good... continue on!! I just noticed the 'Active Member' so you probably know all this already... There just happened to be a thread covering this very question in the last week, so I mistakenly thought you were new.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

OlliePackman

and you know about the WCL impact? if so, and understand what all those changes mean for flight, then all good... continue on!! I just noticed the 'Active Member' so you probably know all this already... There just happened to be a thread covering this very question in the last week, so I mistakenly thought you were new.
Are right. I'm fairly new flight wise but I have a good theoretical understanding of affectctive flight characteristics and I have built loads of planes now.