Foam Board 3mm or 5mm

marknumskull

Hi,

This has no doubt been answered before but I can't find another post!

Before I go and buy a bunch of Foam Board I want to check if anyone has used 3mm Foam Board before.

On Amazon UK there seems to be options for 5mm and 3mm, 3mm could be good thanks to the weight saving but I would be worried about losing strength. Also, I'm unsure if there could be any other downsides to using a thinner board.

Has anyone had any experience with 3mm board?

Mark

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
It is all depending on the model you build and the weight you want - follow the instructions for the model you are making.
Most Indoor planes are built in 3 mm foam. The weight difference is not as much as you think as the most of the weight normally is on the surfaces of the foam.

marknumskull

Hi,

Cool, thanks for getting back 5mm would be the standard then for outdoor.

I actually plan on building a profile version of the FT-3d for indoor flying this winter so will probably use the 3mm on that.

Mark

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have heard of people peeling the inside paper/skin in order to save weight. It makes sense when you think that the paper is a very large part of the overall weight...especially on an indoor build.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Dollar foam board is still cheaper than 3mm Depron here in the US...Sad isn't it?