Help! Foam board and foam board

ShrimpRex

I live in Europe with no real good way of getting my hands on some good foam board for building airplanes. I can either spend hundreds of dollars (like 500$) on a box of 25 readi boards or find an alternative.
I have been using depron for a while but it’s just not good enough for my taste. No paper on the depron means that doing the simplest of bends and folds are a hassle.

What are some alternatives I can use? I have heard of Kapa Line, is this something remotely similar to the dollar tree FT stuff?
I am at a loss here and need some help.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I live in Aus, (half a world away), and I faced similar problems. I found that picture framers use FB for the backing on the pictures and prints that they frame and so I purchase and use that type pf FB. Whilst it is a little heavier it is available in 5mm and 3mm. The 3mm makes interesting versions of the mighty minis and helps reduce the weight of fuselage frames and formers which is a bonus.

Whilst the price is a little higher per sheet the sheets I purchase are approximately 1000 x 800 mm which is great for the larger builds.

For similar materialto what I use check out your local picture framing and art supplies outlets.

It works for me!

have fun!

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I live in Europe with no real good way of getting my hands on some good foam board for building airplanes. I can either spend hundreds of dollars (like 500$) on a box of 25 readi boards or find an alternative.
I have been using depron for a while but it’s just not good enough for my taste. No paper on the depron means that doing the simplest of bends and folds are a hassle.

What are some alternatives I can use? I have heard of Kapa Line, is this something remotely similar to the dollar tree FT stuff?
I am at a loss here and need some help.
I would consider gluing paper on the depron. You can look at the process Rasterize uses to glue skins on foam with Super 77 or another glue. I think you could find a foam safe white glue and thin it before use.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you wish to continue to use the available depron but want to keep the process simpler and stronger than the straight depron you could add strips of 1mm balsa along the internal surfaces of the fuselage and wing. you can greatly increase spar strength by using the same process.

Using a similar process I built and still fly a Balsa/FB Spitfire, (thread on forum). It was covered with covering film and came out lighter than the normal build by a considerable margin.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

ShrimpRex

I would consider gluing paper on the depron. You can look at the process Rasterize uses to glue skins on foam with Super 77 or another glue. I think you could find a foam safe white glue and thin it before use.
I like that idea

JakeyTheHakey

I live in Aus, (half a world away), and I faced similar problems. I found that picture framers use FB for the backing on the pictures and prints that they frame and so I purchase and use that type pf FB. Whilst it is a little heavier it is available in 5mm and 3mm. The 3mm makes interesting versions of the mighty minis and helps reduce the weight of fuselage frames and formers which is a bonus.

Whilst the price is a little higher per sheet the sheets I purchase are approximately 1000 x 800 mm which is great for the larger builds.

For similar materialto what I use check out your local picture framing and art supplies outlets.

It works for me!

have fun!

Hi there everyone,

I live in South Africa and had the same dilemma - EXPENSIVE 5mm foam board....
....until I stumbled upon a place that sells picture frames and supply foam boards also. They sell the boards in 3mm and 5mm at the best price EVER. In fact, it MATCHES Flite Test's price. I was really sad to find that Flite Test could not ship to South Africa, then all so happy to find this place today.

EVEN BETTER THING I FOUND = Foam board that is called "Museum Archival foam board", which is a bit more expensive, but it is 2 times more dense/stronger at the same weight. It is mainly used for museum presentation. I bought a jumbo sheet today (code AC4896.3C) and can't wait to get home and work with this stuff. I believe the maufacturer of this is Nielsen Bainbridge (TM) from the US.

I attached a PDF to show you. Have a look at the last page. If you could search for this in the UK or wherever you are from, surely you can find this product. Or find some company that can import a box of 25 sheets for you, you can sell them even. http://www.nielsen-bainbridge.com/

I hope it helps.
Cheerz !

Attachments

• Matboards (OCT 2017).pdf
    631.2 KB · Views: 0
  • NB_FoamBoard_CatalogWeb-2017.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0