boxy

Hi,
I was looking for foam board big enough and light enough to make a Viggen out of it. so which foam would you guys recommend me to use?

Thanks
-Boxy!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi,
I was looking for foam board big enough and light enough to make a Viggen out of it. so which foam would you guys recommend me to use?

Thanks
-Boxy!
Where in Aus do you reside? I ask because I get my FB locally and NOT from officeworks as they are about twice the price available elsewhere.

5mm is about the correct thickness of material for use on FT designs and those other designs made from DTFB. I use sheets 32" x 40" for almost all of my builds!
I use Megawood Larson-Juhl foamboard which has an office in Mulgrave Vic and supplies the local picture framing businesses and Art supply shops. Currently I get my sheets for around $10 and I use white and black in 5mm and 3mm in white.
The type of foam I use is the white, acid free, type with the standard paper which actually has 2 laminated layers of foam. Much stronger, slightly heavier.
For most FT designs it gives a fantastic finish though where the FT or other design tends to be a little tail heavy you may need to remove some internal paper. I actually make and sell my own FB designs locally out of the above specified FB and I have trouble keeping up with the demand!

Have fun!

boxy

Where in Aus do you reside? I ask because I get my FB locally and NOT from officeworks as they are about twice the price available elsewhere.

5mm is about the correct thickness of material for use on FT designs and those other designs made from DTFB. I use sheets 32" x 40" for almost all of my builds!
I use Megawood Larson-Juhl foamboard which has an office in Mulgrave Vic and supplies the local picture framing businesses and Art supply shops. Currently I get my sheets for around $10 and I use white and black in 5mm and 3mm in white.
The type of foam I use is the white, acid free, type with the standard paper which actually has 2 laminated layers of foam. Much stronger, slightly heavier.
For most FT designs it gives a fantastic finish though where the FT or other design tends to be a little tail heavy you may need to remove some internal paper. I actually make and sell my own FB designs locally out of the above specified FB and I have trouble keeping up with the demand!

Have fun!
I live in Cranbourne and I am trying to get the Kmart (Click "Kmart") foam but it is small so I want the scale down to 80 - 70% plan for FT-Viggen Thanks man

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I live in Cranbourne and I am trying to get the Kmart (Click "Kmart") foam but it is small so I want the scale down to 80 - 70% plan for FT-Viggen Thanks man
If you have a printer you just download the fullsize plans and tile print in Acrobat at the scale you require.
As for the larger sheets of FB you could contact the following in your approximate area and see what they have, if anything.

Artists Framing Services
Picture Frame Shop
Berwick VIC · (03) 9707 3211

Oz Framing and Design
Picture Frame Shop
Carrum Downs VIC · 0408 402 530

Hope that helps!

Have fun!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Or try the Hobbyking 5mm XPS foam covered in tape. Its what I use, and very cheap at $30 for a 500x1000mm box of 20 sheets.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks, @Userofmuchtape&glue @Hai-Lee. @Userofmuchtape&glue The foam they have available is the only 3mm and 10mm Is there a way you can send me the link to 5mm Thank you!
I use the 3mm FB for some special builds and it performs wuite well but as for the 5mm this is the type I like ot use but I recommend that you go over the entire site and then contact them for possible local distribution outlets.

http://www.megawoodlarsonjuhl.com.a...foam-white-acid-free-foam-board-32x40/product

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee Can I fit 64mm EDF to scale down version and if so I how I make it in a chape of the circle? You know what I mean
You can proceed a couple of different ways.

You can use a number of bends to make up a hexagon/octagon simulation of a circle. If the bends are close enough together then the outside surface will appear cylindrical.

You can remove the paper from the inside surface and roll it around a former, (like a bottle or time). Sometimes where the circle is very tight you can use a rolling pin to soften the foam first by rolling under a fair amount of pressure first before trying to form it around the former.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So Ft-Viggen work well with 3mm as well?
Haven't tried it on an EDF yet but it makes great FT minis. It also allows for some fine detail work and those planes that require internal support structure like bulkheads and stringers.

Have fun!

boxy

Haven't tried it on an EDF yet but it makes great FT minis. It also allows for some fine detail work and those planes that require internal support structure like bulkheads and stringers.

Have fun!
So do you think it will work? (btw I am sorry for annoying I just wanna be 100% sure that is will work!)
Thanks!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The bare weight of the Viggen is unknown to me but you should be able to subtract the weight if the electrics and EDF unit from the original post to determine it.

My guesstimate would be in the vicinity of 200 to 300 grams

have fun!

boxy

The bare weight of the Viggen is unknown to me but you should be able to subtract the weight if the electrics and EDF unit from the original post to determine it.

My guesstimate would be in the vicinity of 200 to 300 grams

have fun!
not the Viggen the foam sorry

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
not the Viggen the foam sorry
The FB I use has a weight of just under 400 grams for a sheet 32x40 , (twice the area/volume of the DTFB sheets)

So I revise my build weight of the FB pieces, (only) of the FT Viggen would be around, just over, 400grams.

Have fun!