Foam board got wet/warped

Hi! New to fixed wing RC this season. All going well and enjoying the FT stuff.
Quick question - my dollar store board built FT bushwacker got a little rain on it while in my car during a downpour with the windows slightly open. I thought all was good but found my control surfaces are now warped. Ailerons and elevator suffered. I know these foam board planes are relatively disposable, but Only have 1 flight on it and not ready to start rebuilding it just yet.

Any suggestions on ways to correct this? Or other experience with storing and protecting these board board planes?

Thanks!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi! New to fixed wing RC this season. All going well and enjoying the FT stuff.
Quick question - my dollar store board built FT bushwacker got a little rain on it while in my car during a downpour with the windows slightly open. I thought all was good but found my control surfaces are now warped. Ailerons and elevator suffered. I know these foam board planes are relatively disposable, but Only have 1 flight on it and not ready to start rebuilding it just yet.

Any suggestions on ways to correct this? Or other experience with storing and protecting these board board planes?

Thanks!
When I have an old and battered or otherwise abused FB plane with warped control surfaces I find the the quickest way to remove the warps permanently is to cut a 3mm channel in each of the warps surfaces and glue into each channel a length of BBQ skewer, (I mostly use epoxy but almost any glue will suffice. I then clamp the whole assembly to a flat piece of something like ply, (glue side away from the ply of course), and wait until the glue sets/hardens/dries.

When the glue is solid the warp is gone! Sure it can alter the CG slightly but then a little extra nose weight or fitting the battery a little further forward is easier than a rebuild!

It works for me!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I've just glued popsicle sticks in place to correct a warp. It worked fairly well. For me it was better than rebuilding. ;)

Keno

I've just glued popsicle sticks in place to correct a warp. It worked fairly well. For me it was better than rebuilding. ;)
"I know nothing" Not to worry Buzzbomb later in life it could be "I can't remember nothing" or "CRS" as we refer in our latter years. Happy flying

Bricks

Master member
Any of the above will work but if you want to keep it light you can use carbon fiber and regular Foam Tac , lighter always flies better.