Foam Board in Australia

2RC4ALL

finding foam

Hi

I have used the foam from Office Works $13.50 Sheet 55cmx77cm
I have used the foam from Kmart $6 Sheet 53cmx64.5cm
All have been 5mm

I would like to make wings, elevator, rudders from 3mm and fuselage from 5mm (http://www.foamboards.com.au)

I will be in Brisbane at the end of January so I will get some.

Cheers

eagle4

how much is the foamboard in Kmart? is it any good? how heavy is it? is it 20x30 inches like the adams readi board?

RedTwenty

I use the 5mm from foamboards.com.au. If you are willing to spend the money you can get a box of 25 sheets of 5mm and it works out at about $8 a sheet. In fact when I got mine it had 30 sheets in the box so even better! It's not to heavy and cut and builds well.

Before bought the big box I was getting big sheets from Riot Art and Craft stores for $14. The quality was good but a bit expensive.

I did try the Quill board from Officeworks but have found it to be very heavy and the paper delaminates really easily.

Hope this helps.
Mike

rider

I've also used the same stuff from foamboards.com.au. It works well and seems to me like it's stronger than the DTFB from the US.

McGuffyGuffy

Hi , thought I'd add my 5cents worth.
Just built the Guinea Pig out of Tradewarehouse Depron. No paper covering so it's a whole different method . Quite a mission to complete with no paper to locate edges and form folds.
I have finally tracked down 5mm and 3mm acid-free white foam board from Jacksons art supplies , and there's one right here in Mandurah!
Looked at other Aussie vendors but freight is the killer for online buying.
Jacksons list 32"x40" x 5mm (yes , I know! :) ) for $9.70 sheet - 3mm same price .
Probably have to forward order as I shall , but the price is good.

tclemmo

Dollar tree foam board in Australia

Hey guys

Just thought I'd show support for this and try and get the word spread.

mikkelbrezhnev has created a thread here and has got in contact with Adam's Plastics, who make the foam board for Dollar Tree. He proposed to them the idea of shipping their foam boards to Australia, and they have shown their interest in the idea.

Here is a link to his thread: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?20880-Importing-Adams-Readi-Foam-Board-to-Australia

This is a great opportunity to get cheaper foam board here as well as open up the hobby to more people.

Tyler

maxi

hi has anyone got ideas on how to build flite test planes with depron

i have put contact adhesive on my planes and build one as flitetest did but the 6mm thickness caused me to have a twisted body and funny looking plane

Goose

I have been buying my foam board from my local Framing and painting shop. He sells me a sheet for $20 it's about 1.5m x 1.5m. I can get about 4 or 5 planes out of it, so that works out about $4 or $5 a plane so I'm happy with that. It's 5mm and seems to have better paper on the foam that the pre cut planes from FT and the paper doesn't peel off as easy and the paper is less grainy.

Rod Muller

I bought a carton of 5 mm foam board from foamboards.com.au and am finding it great to use. While it is a bit heavier it is also stronger and the paper is stuck on better. It is a very good alternative and if a few friends shared a carton it is an inexpensive product compared to other boards available in Australia.

5mm foamboard, 500mm x 700mm, 20 sheets for AU$20 (plus a bit of postage) from HobbyKing.

Any reason why folks aren't taking this option? I'd understand hunting down stationery suppliers if they were cheaper, but it doesn't seem that they are.

5mm foamboard, 500mm x 700mm, 20 sheets for AU$20 (plus a bit of postage) from HobbyKing.

Any reason why folks aren't taking this option? I'd understand hunting down stationery suppliers if they were cheaper, but it doesn't seem that they are.

To answer my own question: there's no paper on the HK foamboard. But, since I was planning on reskinning it with the Minwax treatment anyway, no big deal.

Off to buy some packing paper...

Rob_Melb

I get my board from Senior Art Supplies - $6.60 a board when bought in a pack of 10. I have also got board form Eckersley's for around the same price on special. Eckersley's board is better quality (much stronger) - yet is rarely on special, so Senior is generally your best bet:

See:
http://www.seniorart.com.au/index.ph...oducts_id=9439

If you know better in melbourne - please post away.

Knights

I just put my FT mini corsair on the scales and as the plan states it should weigh in at around 156g without the battery. Now mine comes in as a heavyweight at a monster 350g (foam board supplied from K-Mart) without battery, no wonder it just wanted to dive right into the ground. I suppose I should start looking for a bigger motor and prop but what size should I move too?????

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
hi has anyone got ideas on how to build flite test planes with depron

i have put contact adhesive on my planes and build one as flitetest did but the 6mm thickness caused me to have a twisted body and funny looking plane

Yes I do it and have had great success. As you are forced to cut out the pieces you will need to reduce dimensions of the cut out pieces by 0.5mm each side of the "Channel" used for folding on the FB design.

I use a clear craft glue distributed by "Office Central" which is sold through discount variety stores. At $2.50AUD for 100ml it is both cheap and effective. You will require CF reinforcement on most designs especially the larger designs but otherwise Depron is fantastic.

My first all Depron FT design was the Mini Speedster which became a Mini Rocket when made out of Depron.

If I can help with your modifying an FT design for Depron please let me know!

Regards,

Bob:black_eyed:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I just put my FT mini corsair on the scales and as the plan states it should weigh in at around 156g without the battery. Now mine comes in as a heavyweight at a monster 350g (foam board supplied from K-Mart) without battery, no wonder it just wanted to dive right into the ground. I suppose I should start looking for a bigger motor and prop but what size should I move too?????

Congratulations! You have just built yourself an earthbound ornament (Just as I did:rolleyes:) If you wish to build a lfying version then you will need to scale it up by about 20% or so and I used 3mm FB.

The problem is that with a mini the wingloading is almost critical so unless you get the correct material you will need to either make it bigger OR use a lot of Depron or similar.

My ornament was gifted to an Art Shop, which is my FB supplier. The whole exercise was a great learning experience but not a great initial result.:black_eyed:

Knights

Thanks Bob,

I started building another mini corsair out of 3mm depron for the body and 6mm for the wings, vertical and horizontal stabilisers, with scraps I had laying around, I also used a contact adhesive from bunnings and just some paper sheets. All in all I weighed it yesterday still without the electronics and it came in at 82g which I'm some what pleased about. The biggest question will be what she weighs when I install all the goodies on the weekend.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just a few things to consider. The power pod I used was still FB as the paper makes it stronger where the skewers are fitted and I used a couple of plastic sheet scraps on the fuselage where the skewers are fitted for additional strength.

Do not forget to fit a little CF in the wings to reduce flexing.

When assembled you night find that it is now nose heavy do not be concerned but rather fit some CF strips in the tail to add a little rigidity.

Finally DO NOT be tempted to fit a larger capacity battery as the Depron airframe is more fragile and one heavy landing will really turn your hard work into confetti.