Foam Board in Germany

Sebi

Hi,

i wanted to start building the scratch builds. In the videos they use the dollar sheet foam covered in Paper. Sow now the question is: Where can i get that stuff in germany. I visited the local craft store, but they only had foamboard coverend in something that felt quite plasticy. In all theyr videos they speak about "peeling off the paper". In the product description of the german foam board they still speak of heavy Kraft paper, but it is much more glossy than normal paper. (http://www.idee-shop.de/shop/de/die...ntdeckenSiemehr/Foamboardweiss5mm50x70cm.html)

My question is now: Can i still use that for a Scratchbuild?

-Sebi

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
If you do not need the paper - do like all others - use depron - and you can use all plans in FMT and RCM&E for your project unless you are making your own designs. Depron is common in Germany. I am normally ordering a mix from Causemann. A box of 20 sheets of 3 mm and 10 sheets of 6 mm 800*1250 mm - enough to share with your friends.

Sebi

Jeah i already thought about using that, but the problen is (at least i think it is one) that flitetest is using the paper for extra rigidity and all theyr plans are based on that

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sebi,

If you laminate a couple of depron sheets together and cover with thin packing tape, it''ll come out thicker but nearly as rigid -- and still be lighter!

The paper adds a tremendous amount of weight for rigidity, which could be made up for in other ways. I've got easy access to the stuff, but I'm starting to strip the paper off the foam and laminate/tape for my projects.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Jeah i already thought about using that, but the problen is (at least i think it is one) that flitetest is using the paper for extra rigidity and all theyr plans are based on that
I do not have any of the flite test planes but some very similar without any problems. As Craft says. Packing tape is cheap and gives a lot of strength. And the planes will be a lot better when wet outside in the air or grass. I have FUNBAT (without extra wing spar) ,F22 (look alike) and a some really big planes like the CargoTwin and the Capricorn made of 6 mm depron and packing tape.

Joking

In the UK I can't find any thing like Dollar tree foam so have experimented making my own. I glue A3 sheets of plain paper onto 6mm Depron sheet. I started with PVA glue watered down but it peels away easily, next I tried UHU por spread very thinly on the foam with the paper smoothed onto the board immediately. This has proved to be easy to bend and cut as per flitetest videos. Hope this is of some help.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
In the UK I can't find any thing like Dollar tree foam so have experimented making my own. I glue A3 sheets of plain paper onto 6mm Depron sheet. I started with PVA glue watered down but it peels away easily, next I tried UHU por spread very thinly on the foam with the paper smoothed onto the board immediately. This has proved to be easy to bend and cut as per flitetest videos. Hope this is of some help.
I guess you could print the plans and then glue them directly to the Depron in this manner and save yourself a step.

hotwax

Hi Sebi,

go to http://www.modulor.de and search for "Foamboard weiß". You will find the Kapa Boards which are cardboard on foam >> not good and boards with paper on foam >> very good.

Not so cheap but compared to balsawood still a bargain.

DStBone

solved?

Hey everyone,

after a few failed searches throught the net i finaly see light at the end of this foamboard tunnel.
That tunnel was either too heavy or covered in plastic ... or the shipping was insane.

For all of the german, austrian, swiss and netherlandish scratch builders that struggle the same way i did with finding the right "Dollar Tree Foam Board" REPLACEMENT.

Check this shop out: http://www.gerstaecker.de/ or .ch .at .nl
search for foamboard, there are quite some options there.

I LOVE ART Foamboard .. this is what i found resembles the Dollar Tree the most.

let me know your feedback if you are going to try or have tried already.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

tBone

P.S. btw they do ship all over Europe however i believe outside the above mentioned countries it requires at least 150 € minimum value.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Nice find. They even have the Creat Airplac from Isopor I got.

Did you compare the different options?

DStBone

Nice find. They even have the Creat Airplac from Isopor I got.

Did you compare the different options?

I will place an order soon, and i'll get a few sheets of different kinds i suppose.
But before that i need to construct my new workbench ... the old one crumbled down on me :p
Once i have the order here i get back to you and tell about my findings. ;)

how was the Airplac performing? i might have missed it if you mentioned somewhere.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I haven't actually used it for any builds yet :-(. But it feels a lot lighter than the Kapa I had before. Before I ordered from Isopor, I called them to ask if it is made from polystyrene and they confirmed.

Perhaps you can just ask the shop if they can send you samples for each type?

srouil

I just ordered 5 pieces of foamboard "I LOVE ART" from gerstaecker.ch.
Their customer support told me that it weight 160grams for a 500 * 650mm board.
Also this is quite the same as Airplac 1: around 490g / sqm => 1.5 times the weight of DTFB.
I still have to see if quality is the same of Airplac 1. I should receive the boards next week.

DStBone

Also this is quite the same as Airplac 1: around 490g / sqm => 1.5 times the weight of DTFB.
I still have to see if quality is the same of Airplac 1. I should receive the boards next week.

I just ordered "I Love Art" and the Airplac's too :)

the first one is homebrand of gerstaecker, but support couldnt tell me more details. I hope the package arrives tomorrow.

I'll get back too you all. Please let me know too wha your thoughts are.

Especially because the Flite Test Plans use around 4 mm dollar tree foamboard .. and all we can get is 3mm or 5 mm :confused:

so i want to check if

1. the paper can be peeled off like FT does it with dollar tree

2. we need to change the scale so we can use the 5 mm / 3mm foamboard (b folds and a folds may be a problem?)

If anyone has experience with the 3mm/5mm width and FT plans, please let us know. :applause:

Regards,

tBone

DStBone

1. the paper can be peeled off like FT does it with dollar tree

2. we need to change the scale so we can use the 5 mm / 3mm foamboard (b folds and a folds may be a problem?)

1. both dont peel off very easily but for smaller pieces i managed to get a good result with a sharp knife hugging between the foam and the paper i want to remove.

2. i tried the Mini Speedster Plans and i think its not nessassary to alter the plan due to 5mm board, just cut right next to the lines instead of ontop and it fits perfectly.

I would recommend the "I Love Art" 5mm Foamboard, seems alittle lighter (which might be better since we are already adding weight from the thickness) and its cheaper.

9,99 for 5 sheets 500 x 650 mm .. still alot more than Dollar Tree but i guess the best we can get here? :)

Hope you all have a merry christmas and a happy new year!

Seimy

Hey Srouil :) I think you got that completely wrong with the weight. Did you ever check what the weight of a the dollar tree foam board per sqm is? It should be around 754.3 g/m^2 (0.1916g/inch^2 = 0.07543g/cm^2). So the Airplac and the I LOVE ART are almost have as light as the DTFB not "1.5 times the weight". And yes, I am talking about 5mm thickness here....
Did I get something wrong here?

I am asking because I am still looking for an alternativ for the DTFB in Europe (Germany). Can anybody help me out? I would really appreciated!

Cheers!