Brian B

Elite member
Here is my version:
2830 motor with a 9x6 prop using the 2200mah Ovonic 35C 3 cell battery
Landing gear wire was the handle from an old home depot bucket with 2.5" Dubro Low Bounce tiers
Steerable tail wheel assembly from Amazon
3D printed parts include the 7cyl radial engine (weight-96g), motor fire wall, wing struts, control horns
Vinyl decals designed in inkscape and printed on home printer
All parts covered with colored/clear packing tape using the Experimental Planes technique
Lower wing is held on with 2 nylon toilet tank bolts/nuts
The weight of the 3D printed engine perfectly places the CG right at the leading edge of the lower wing
Flying weight is 1.190Kg (2 lbs, 10 oz)
Now if these Central California coastal winds will die down a bit, I will maiden her.
The last pic is the real plane I modeled the livery from.
View attachment 223759 View attachment 223760 View attachment 223761 View attachment 223762 View attachment 223763 View attachment 223764
Older post I didn't notice, but that 3D printed motor looks Awesome! Whole build looks great. Trust your maiden went well? I bet you get lots on complements at the field.

Thanks for the great plan. For some reason, I have to make all the strut support for the upper wing 1 1/4 longer to get some clearance from the fuselage
I ended up designing and 3D printing little attachments that glued to the fuselage and wings. The struts then are attached with small M2 screws and nuts. This makes the upper wing and struts removeable and i had already made the lower wing removeable with the plastic toilet bolts.

Older post I didn't notice, but that 3D printed motor looks Awesome! Whole build looks great. Trust your maiden went well? I bet you get lots on complements at the field.
Flies well slow and scale looks great in the air. The 3D printed motor did restrict air to the motor a bit. It got hot and started to melt the 3d printed firewall. I opened up the front a little and drilled some small vent holes in the engine block and problem solved. The main gear bent too easily so i designed and printed a complete landing gear complete with a removable battery hatch. Good and strong now. The wide red stripes on the wing and fuselage i created with decal paper did fade so i replaced them with red packing tape and they look much better.

I ended up getting reassigned from Vandenberg Space Force Base, CA to Wright Patterson Air Force Base, OH. Now i get to fly on the actual 5000' runway at Wright Field. The PT-17 looks good with the Air Force Museum in the background.
20221023_090120.jpg

Jonny Gum

Elite member
A motor from a C pack kit, with a 2200 3C battery. I think mine balanced with a maybe 1/2 oz of extra weight. It was cool when the upper wing came off, and it landed just fine. It's not super with rolls (it IS a biplane after all), but if you turn up your ailerons, it'll do some tricks.
could add a top wing aileron mod

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Here is my version:
Landing gear wire was the handle from an old home depot bucket with 2.5" Dubro Low Bounce tiers
3D printed parts include the 7cyl radial engine (weight-96g), motor fire wall, wing struts, control horns
All parts covered with colored/clear packing tape using the Experimental Planes technique
The weight of the 3D printed engine perfectly places the CG right at the leading edge of the lower wing
Now if these Central California coastal winds will die down a bit, I will maiden her.
View attachment 223759 View attachment 223760 View attachment 223761 View attachment 223762 View attachment 223763 View attachment 223764
Love that engine! Nice build!

Jonny Gum

Elite member
You all are amazing! I'm seeing so many awesome builds of the Stearman, and I'm proud that this design is still alive! Thank you everyone!

I am currently wrapped up in college for flight training and maintenance education, but I hope to be spending a bit more time with the RC hobby soon. Unfortunately, I haven't checked this thread since last March, and I apologize that I have not seen yall's amazing builds until now.

Current Ideas- 40" C pack Pitts Special, 50" C pack Bird Dog, 65" M pack Pitts Special

Combat20

Here is my version:
Can you share the .stl files used to make your PT-17?