Jonny Gum

Elite member
(GO TO PAGE 11 FOR PLANS AND BUILD VIDEO)

So I have always been around the real Stearman because my grandfather restores and flies them. I decided to make the Stearman because I had a balsa wood kit lying around for a rubber band powered model. I took the plans to Staples and got them scaled up to a 40 inch wingspan and built it. The fuselage uses a box surrounded by formers and outer skin to make a beautiful (completely foam board) fuselage. The wings use a new wingtip technique to make more realistic wingtips, and inside the wing is a box spar. This version only has ailerons on the bottom wing, just like the original, but still has plenty of aileron control. The paint scheme on the plane matches my grandfathers stearman- even the numbers on the side. All my plans are hand drawn but if anyone knows how to make online plans I would love to post them for everyone to use!

Note- I will bring this to Flite Fest Ohio 2019- See ya there!

Flight- This thing flies on rails! It flies amazing in calm weather, but gets bumped around a lot in the wind due to the second wing.

Specs- Power Pack B or C recommended, 40 inch wingspan, 4-5 sheets of foam to build, 9x6 wood prop is my favorite prop.
IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

Last edited:

Jimun

Elite member
So I have always been around the real Stearman because my grandfather restores and flies them. I decided to make the Stearman because I had a balsa wood kit lying around for a rubber band powered model. I took the plans to Staples and got them scaled up to a 40 inch wingspan and built it. The fuselage uses a box surrounded by formers and outer skin to make a beautiful (completely foam board) fuselage. The wings use a new wingtip technique to make more realistic wingtips, and inside the wing is a box spar. This version only has ailerons on the bottom wing, just like the original, but still has plenty of aileron control. The paint scheme on the plane matches my grandfathers stearman- even the numbers on the side. All my plans are hand drawn but if anyone knows how to make online plans I would love to post them for everyone to use!

Flight- This thing flies on rails! It flies amazing in calm weather, but gets bumped around a lot in the wind due to the second wing.

Specs- Power Pack B or C recommended, 40 inch wingspan, 4-5 sheets of foam to build, 9x6 wood prop is my favorite prop.
View attachment 134220
View attachment 134221
View attachment 134222
View attachment 134225
Looks awesome - great job. Video soon or waiting till Flitefest?

Jonny Gum

Elite member
{ISSUE SOLVED}
Sooooooooo... There's some problem between my transmitter and receiver (FrSky Taranis QX7S and the FrSky V8FRII) where there will be random disconnections (I guess it's a failsafe) for about 1 second where it holds the last known input and I have NO control! I was flying very low at a high speed and started a bank when it failsafed. The wing dipped into the ground and it cartwheeled. The wing where torn backwards but have since been repaired. The plane has some scars but will be flying again at Flite Fest Ohio 2019. If anybody knows what is happening please reply with a possible solution.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sooooooooo... There's some problem between my transmitter and receiver (FrSky Taranis QX7S and the FrSky V8FRII) where there will be random disconnections
I would take a very close look at the antenna(s) on the Rx. Remove the case and look at the outer braid where the coax enters the case. If it’s damaged you need to repair or replace that antenna

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Also make sure your antennae are in two different geometric planes, away from any magnetic or motor interference and components that might block signal in certain orientations. I usually like one hanging out the bottom of the fuselage and one going up into the cockpit at 90 deg to each other.
Got to add my admiration for the quality of your build too.

Jonny Gum

Elite member
I did some research and it turns out that there is some kind of unpatched firmware glitch between the Taranis QX7s and the V8FRII that causes short failsafes. I am going to stock up on new, more compatible receivers at Flite Fest so that this glitch will stop. I will put a new reciever in the Stearman as soon as I can so that it can fly. Come say hi if you see it!

This is my stearman next to my grandfather’s stearman that he is restoring. (The real one) They are painted exactly the same
B02584D3-F621-4713-B6EC-08A919EB5248.jpeg
CA94D437-1318-43F4-8136-CB99B711B34E.jpeg
16227D34-7193-45FB-8B8D-02865B27215F.jpeg
5540DD2D-7E00-4FB3-8FD0-91B6205CC161.jpeg

Last edited:

FastCrash45

Elite member
I did some research and it turns out that there is some kind of unpatched firmware glitch between the Taranis QX7s and the V8FRII that causes short failsafes. I am going to stock up on new, more compatible receivers at Flite Fest so that this glitch will stop. I will put a new reciever in the Stearman as soon as I can so that it can fly. Come say hi if you see it!

This is my stearman next to my grandfather’s stearman that he is restoring. (The real one) They are painted exactly the same View attachment 135292 View attachment 135293 View attachment 135294 View attachment 135295
Both are beautiful planes. Grandfather is doing an excellent restore! Always been one of my favorite planes.

Jonny Gum

Elite member
After almost a year since I started this project, I’ve come back to this amazing airplane to finalize it. I am currently drawing up the improved version in CAD! I will keep updates rolling in. (Hopefully I don’t forget) Improvements include fixing alignment issues and adding more scale details. I will also work on minimizing the amount of panel lines on the fuselage to make less rough.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Figure9

Elite member

View attachment 134220
View attachment 134221
View attachment 134222
View attachment 134225

I wanna do it, that Stearman is so cool. I never got to fly one (Guess I still could, there’s one at our local airport for hire.) Looks like the required build skillset is Master Series. Gotta start that high end stuff with something.