Figure9

Elite member
I did some research and it turns out that there is some kind of unpatched firmware glitch between the Taranis QX7s and the V8FRII that causes short failsafes. I am going to stock up on new, more compatible receivers at Flite Fest so that this glitch will stop. I will put a new reciever in the Stearman as soon as I can so that it can fly. Come say hi if you see it!

This is my stearman next to my grandfather’s stearman that he is restoring. (The real one) They are painted exactly the same View attachment 135292 View attachment 135293 View attachment 135294 View attachment 135295

Wow, thanks for the pics. I hope that glitch you found is the fix.

The Fopster

Master member
I've got a box of FT foam, and plans to build things this year. Those plans include my first EDF.... and my first biplane! I hadn't decided what the bipe would be - I think you may have just answered that question for me. I'll be watching with interest. Congratulations on a great looking plane!

Jonny Gum

Elite member
I've got a box of FT foam, and plans to build things this year. Those plans include my first EDF.... and my first biplane! I hadn't decided what the bipe would be - I think you may have just answered that question for me. I'll be watching with interest. Congratulations on a great looking plane!
Thanks! I’m hoping to have plans out by summer. Maybe we could make a fleet of them for Flitefest... lol

Captain Jay

Elite member
That's awesome. I have the eflight one.

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_2000118.jpg
    IMG_20190128_2000118.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
{ISSUE SOLVED RECENTLY}
Sooooooooo... There's some problem between my transmitter and receiver (FrSky Taranis QX7S and the FrSky V8FRII) where there will be random disconnections (I guess it's a failsafe) for about 1 second where it holds the last known input and I have NO control! I was flying very low at a high speed and started a bank when it failsafed. The wing dipped into the ground and it cartwheeled. The wing where torn backwards but have since been repaired. The plane has some scars but will be flying again at Flite Fest Ohio 2019. If anybody knows what is happening please reply with a possible solution.
Glad too see I'm not the only one here to cartwheel a Stearman. Looks fantastic! I might build one sometime down the road.

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Glad too see I'm not the only one here to cartwheel a Stearman. Looks fantastic! I might build one sometime down the road.
I’d love to see others build these. Still working on finalizing plans but will release them soon enough. If they still hold Flitefest I would be interested in seeing if anybody actually built one of these. Sorry I was out of this thread for about a week, and I’ll keep y’all updated on progress in the near future.

Tench745

Master member
I’d love to see others build these. Still working on finalizing plans but will release them soon enough. If they still hold Flitefest I would be interested in seeing if anybody actually built one of these. Sorry I was out of this thread for about a week, and I’ll keep y’all updated on progress in the near future.

It's my experience that Flite Fest is where a lot of people find the planes they didn't know they wanted to build. More than once I saw someone come over after someone lands and say "Hey, that's really cool, where can I get one?" So, if you're able to go and willing to risk the plane I recommend bringing it along so people can see what this beauty can do in person.

Edit: Aaaannnd I just read through the rest of this thread and felt really silly repeating what's already been said. So to make this post less of a waste of space, a suggestion to people with plans at Flite Fest. Print up some simple business cards with the names of and links to your plans/planes so people can find them easier. I had a couple people ask about builds of mine and all I could say was, "It's on the forums." Most of them said "I'll look it up" but if they're anything like me they forgot by the time they got back to a computer.

Last edited:

Jonny Gum

Elite member
The first plans release will be the B-Pack version (V2). I have some flight footage that I'll put below. I think I may make the plane a little bigger and add upper wing ailerons on for people who would like to build the C-Pack powered "Super Stearman"! With the additional ailerons and power, the c pack version will be more of a sport flier. The B-Pack version is extremely stable, and quite slow, which makes it look very scale when it flies. It is not particularly aerobatic, and is very easy to fly.