foam board paper or not

uggymoo

Mad Canadian builder
What is the thoughts on paper or not . Is the weight to strength ratio worth it. DTFB paper on about 100 grams , paper off just foam 52 grams .
Thoughts ? I have built both ways and tend to lighter paper off or a mix.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I know often people will peel the paper off of formers or the inside of the wing to get the weight down, but keep it in the necessary parts and parts that need the strength like the outside of the fuselage or wing.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @The Hangar & @Grifflyer, it depends on the size of your plane. On most of my FT planes, I leave the paper on. Occasionally, I will remove part of the paper on the inside to get a smoother curve. If it’s an indoor plane, take the paper off.

mayan

Legendary member
I agree with @The Hangar & @Grifflyer, it depends on the size of your plane. On most of my FT planes, I leave the paper on. Occasionally, I will remove part of the paper on the inside to get a smoother curve. If it’s an indoor plane, take the paper off.
I agree with this. Depends on what your after. I leave the paper on almost all my planes and add a stronger motor :).

flyboa

Elite member
I like paper on outside for my DLG gliders. My lightweight trainers I remove all paper and build wing with some foam structure to make a thicker airfoil.

60" DLG about 150g AUW with paper on outside.

60" FT Storch about 250g AUW with paper off. More drag but it has a motor.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
I like paper on outside for my DLG gliders. My lightweight trainers I remove all paper and build wing with some foam structure to make a thicker airfoil.

60" DLG about 150g AUW with paper on outside.

60" FT Storch about 250g AUW with paper off. More drag but it has a motor.
Loved your flying with the Storch. Nice and slow take off and landing. Great job.