Foam Board Rocketry Challenge

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Summary

Participants will build a model rocket made mostly out of foam board. You can use other materials other than foam board but traditional rocket building materials are not allowed. This challenge in intended to see what the limits of foam board are for model rocketry purposes. The rockets must be reusable and have some sort of recovery system.

Build Article

In your build article please format it the title like so
FBRC 2018 (model name) by (your name)

Banned Materials

• Balsa wood for the use of fins for the rocket
  • Cardboard tubes (except for around the rocket motor ONLY so the foam does not melt)
  • Pre-made plastic nose cones (3d printed is allowed)

Design Rules

In this stage the requirements are very simple, participants must
  1. Design and make plans for their rocket
  2. prove their rocket can fly (video evidence)
  3. Build instructions (video or on the forum)
  4. You may have more than one entry
  5. The fusealage of the rocket must be made of foam board
  6. The rocket must use an estes D class or lower rocket motor
  7. The rocket can only be a single stage but can have multiple motors
  8. The rocket must take off of the standard estes rocket launch pad
  9. You may make gliders that attach to your main rocket or make the main rocket a glider.
  10. The deadline is July 12th 2018

Scoring

I was a little hesitant to add this part but this is a challenge so there might as well be a winner. I am unsure who will be doing the scoring but I think we could set up the projects, or pictures for those who can not attend FFE18 and have the community vote on the best based off of
  • Performance (20)
    1. Height (measured by altimeter I have an altimeter that I'll be bringing to flitefest for those who are there. For those who do not have one you will be exempt from that part of the scoring. )
    2. Time aloft (specifically for gliders not for conventional rockets)
  • Attention to detail (10)
  • Durability/Re-usability (20)
  • Cool Factor (Most bonus points available 10)
  • Stability in air (20)

The goal for this project is to get as many people into the challenge and to have fun and not have to spend a fortune to do it. I would love to fly these at FFE18 but I don't know if they will be allowed, so if Stefan is reading this please let me know!

Last edited:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Thanks for the link, I have some Estes rocket engines left over from a few years ago but they have the ejection charge. I guess mine will have an explosive end lol.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Interesting idea. It reminded me of when I was in high school we had a STEM type class called "Powersystems".

One of the projects was building rockets from just a water activated packing tape.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/...OggigsjCrwQoWF1gk7FuMQNL_NDphM7caAjkpEALw_wcB

We used the paper for everything including the nose cone, and fins. Other than the engine, the only non paper item in the build was a metal tab used to hold the motor into the engine mount.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Thanks for the link, I have some Estes rocket engines left over from a few years ago but they have the ejection charge. I guess mine will have an explosive end lol.

I remember that there were some small rockets with "tumble recovery". You wrapped the motor with masking tape to friction fit it to the motor mount. When the ejection charge went off, it would eject the whole motor leaving the much lighter rocket assembly to float back to earth.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I had a couple rockets back in the 80's where the ejection charge went up against a bulkhead and shoved the motor back into a metal hook, changing the CG / CP relationship and either sending it into a tumble, or for a couple designs with wings, into a glide. The space shuttle that launched by itself (no SRB or fuel tank) would convert itself like that into a glider. Loads of fun!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Yeah slingshot I actually have one like that I just haven’t built it yet. Also rockyboy I hope this challenge helps people who aren’t in the hobby, or haven’t participated in a challenge because if cost or time, to get into it and have a great experience doing so.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Since I actually fly these things...

1. There is absolutely no law against R/C rocket gliders. Otherwise I wouldn't market one.

2. Cardboard tube restriction needs a revision--you need that to mount the rocket motor. Foam will melt when exposed to the heat from the engine casing (same with hot glue).

Everything else looks great. Time to get going with my design....

So is our cutesy name "FBRC 2018"?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
5 minutes of doodling...

DTFBrocket.png

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Wow, that looks great! Also I think you're right with the cardboard, I'll edit the main post. I also like the abbreviation!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
It won't.

No, really. And RUMbuilder kinda proved that already with the Rocket Cuda, not that I doubted it in the first place.

C'mon guys let's make this happen!

I'm in!!!! I've got a few engines lying around (dont worry they are not just "lying around," they are in a wooden drawer).

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
The first post has the instructions and rules of the challenge so as long as it follows those rules go for it!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
so where do i make my build thread? ive got a couple ideas for something like a conventional rocket and some not. can i have all of them in the same thread or should i make seperate ones?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
It's completely fine Daniel, it's great to have you here. And for this challenge you can make multiple designs, a thread for each one to keep it orderly, and you can post it in the "scratch builders corner" that section is perfect for when your building, or designing, anything.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
It's completely fine Daniel, it's great to have you here. And for this challenge you can make multiple designs, a thread for each one to keep it orderly, and you can post it in the "scratch builders corner" that section is perfect for when your building, or designing, anything.

alright! will do! ive already got an idea with some scrap pieces i have lying around.