Foam Board Trim Option

checkerboardflyer

Here is an idea for adding a trim pattern to a foam board model. The parts shown are the vertical stab for the square cornered version of a model called the Buschtrottel. Take a piece of color foam board, draw a design on it, then make a shallow cut on the design, then remove the parts you don’t want. There is a tool that allows you to trim photos, cut coupons, do scrapbooking, and clip articles from magazines. It cuts one layer of paper and it’s perfect for such a foam board project. There are several different models available. I used one called Slice, but there are others out there. The pictures will help to explain. For the whole story, visit my blog at: https://foamboardflyers.com

Attachments

• 1-slice checkerboard starburst.jpeg
    1-slice checkerboard starburst.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-slice checkerboard starburst.jpeg
    2-slice checkerboard starburst.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-slice checkerboard starburst.jpeg
    3-slice checkerboard starburst.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-slice checkerboard starburst.jpeg
    4-slice checkerboard starburst.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
It's a good look you have going. and a great re-use of a tool. Just know the FB weakens when you remove the paper.
Let me know how this handles over time please.

What a great idea!

jfaleo1

It's a good look you have going. and a great re-use of a tool. Just know the FB weakens when you remove the paper.

What a great idea!

Maybe a little thin packing tape over the cut areas if the design can stand the weight? Increase strength and protect from moisture at the edges of the cuts. I think I have had worse ideas.

checkerboardflyer

What a great idea!
Thanks FoamyDM. You are right about removing the covering. I have been watching a lot of videos of STOL type models built with Depron, which has no paper covering. Haven't read about any complaints or problems with strength. I think on smaller models it may not be an issue. I will post an update when I fly. In Chicago we started Winter so I'll be waiting for a bit warmer weather to get out flying.