Foam board UK??

Bowerz

Sure this has been asked before but i have searched and searched and can't find it. Where can i find foam board in the UK and what is it called?

Thanks in advance!

KristofferD

Hmmm

I'm not from the UK, but a google search gave me this result: http://www.foamboardonline.co.uk/White_Foamboard

I think the 5mm will do you fine.

I also had a challenge finding it in Norway, in the end I found it, but we don't have a word for it in Norwegian. It was called arcitect-paper by the people in the hobbyshop.

Mine was a whole different type though. A lot heavier and a different kind of paper on it. Impossible to peel but very solid. It was almost twice the weight though but my FT Flyer got completed and it would fly.

zev

lumpy member
that stuff looks more like elmers foamboard, not adams. that stuff is WAYYYYYY heavier. also stronger, but if you are building swappables with it you would need to make adjustments.

Gravem

I also had a challenge finding it in Norway, in the end I found it, but we don't have a word for it in Norwegian. It was called arcitect-paper by the people in the hobbyshop.

Mine was a whole different type though. A lot heavier and a different kind of paper on it. Impossible to peel but very solid. It was almost twice the weight though but my FT Flyer got completed and it would fly.

Hi! I also live in Norway and are looking for foam boards for my first build. I have found something called Kapa plates wich i think is the same as what you call arcitect-paper. But from the plans I downloaded from Flitetest scratch build site, it seem I need 4 mm plates. But i have only found 3mm and 5mm. What is your experience?

hotwax

kapa plates is foam with cardboard on, good for architecture models but bad for model planes.

5mm would be okay. The slots seem to be smaller in the plans because of the laser is burning away some foam. If you bend it, the foam will give way and the hotglue will do the rest.

Keep searching

Werner

Bedrock

Did this material work for you then or didn't you get round to testing it ?

Thanks Josh

London Graphics foam board (regular stuff) built a FT Flyer at 350g. Make sure your plane's Cog is correct before flying (ie sitting level with your finger tips on the spots) move weight forward, install a slightly bigger battery (I used 850maH) whatever but make sure it balances - I still had to add lead to the nose to do this (about 60g worth - you can buy self adhesive lead on-line or at LMS)

Question for you all - does the UK/European board work as well for the airfoil shaped wings? Do you have to do anything extra to get these nice airfoil wings from "our" board?

Imprez

Question for you all - does the UK/European board work as well for the airfoil shaped wings? Do you have to do anything extra to get these nice airfoil wings from "our" board?
Yes it worked well for the Spitfire Build I did. The london graphics foam board looks identical to the one I bought from Matton here in Sweden and I had no problems with it. Just watched the Spit build video and used the same techniques demonstrated there.

rockets4kids

Had to work out the math on that one...

Dollar Tree foam board is USD 0.0016 / sq in.

This stuff works out to USD 0.0026 / sq in.

That is not even twice as expensive for a vastly superior product. Good find!

firefox

i Get mine from http://www.foam-board.co.uk/a1-5mm-white-foamboard it a bit heaver than the DT foam boad but it works fine
IMG_20140618_212832_zps5132456b.jpg IMG_20140622_124738_zpsf954bffe.jpg IMG_20140622_203947_zpsce2e649f.jpg IMG_20140422_200800_zpsf011d85f.jpg

Doom

Hey hotwax, it seems that you have some expirience with kapa board. I happend to run into a complete package of kapa fix (adhesive on one side) with 28 squaremeters of blank foamboard. Why do you think kapa is not the right thing for scratchbuilds? To heavy? If so i will have to sell it (got the package for free, so no big spendings yet!).

Frantic Fras

Hey Firefox,
Looks like you have quite a fleet there! Fantastic work. Did you end up having to increase the size of the power plant and alter the pans in anyway to accommodate the larger width and weight of the UK foam board ? Any advice on where to get the 'extreme' packing tape greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Fras

CThiefUK

I get my foamboard from these guys, it works fine and should do the job nicely. Also gives planes quite a good finish and good strength.

Can you bend that board in a similar way to the Dollartree stuff? It's £30 delivered for 10 sheets of A1 sized board which is close to the price of Depron and a bit smaller for each sheet.

Extreme packing tape is just fiberglass reinforced tape btw.