Foam Board with or without paper?

Flyinghigh

Hi all,
I'm researching for my first build. I can buy Foam Board in Australia with or without paper?
The technique used by FT , can it be applied to foam without paper ? I'm thinking it can't as the paper acts as a hinge when folding.

What do you think?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I believe the technique used uses the paper as a stressed skin.

The paper has higher tensile strength then the foam, so if you get it without paper, you would need to skin your plan with packing tape or something else to add tensile strength to your plane (at least in some areas). At the same time, paper doesn't have very good compressive strength (it folds/crumbles fairly easy) and the foam backs/supports that.

Makes sense. With paper it is.

Thanks well explained.
Yes. I would just look for information on the weight of your FB vs Dollar Tree FB or FT foam board, make sure the stuff you're getting isn't too much heavier.
I've been removing all the paper from the inside of my wings (the areas you won't see) and sometimes in places within my fuselage, depending on the build. If it'll be under a lot of stress, leave the paper. But for a light, gentle flyer I lighten as much as I can.

skayes

in france its very difficult to find ftfb so we use material call depron , same thing whitout paper and it's work perfectly whitout any renforcement so i think you can use the one you want ^^

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The technique used by FT , can it be applied to foam without paper ? I'm thinking it can't as the paper acts as a hinge when folding.
I agree with @JasonK, the paper adds a lot of strength to the US fb. To use the FT folding technique, you will need some sort of skin. I have build many FT like planes the old school way, just cut out the sides, top & bottom separately and glue them together. No need for a skin, I do use a jig to keep things square while gluing. There are only 2 brands of fb I use in the US, Adams & Ross, a 20x30 sheet will weigh about 4 oz with paper. All of the other brands are too heavy. I'm guessing your fb with paper will be too heavy.

@skayes, good to know you can use depron without a skin. Here is a video of Andrew Newton using depron covered with laminating film.

Bricks

Master member
Thanks Bricks, good read. Looks like I have a little experimenting to do.

It takes a little bit to get the glue water right I have done it a few times, I was amazed how rigid the foam became and does not warp like regular $ Tree foam board.