Help! Foam Board?

Chappie66

And this point has been poking me in the hind end. Take a look at this pic.
View attachment 117797
if you look closely the hourglass shape is port to starboard (Left/Right) not top to bottom. It would be like building the Guinea Pig nose sideways.
View attachment 117799

I think the nose piece will turn out fine. It will curve (hourglass) left/right as well as match the slope from top to nose and bottom to nose. Or I hope it is close. I think a trial run on that should show where it needs modifications...However, if the intent is to use a carved foam nose forward of the nose gear, it does need some redesign.

The camel hump idea is asolutely awesome. If you could sketch what you are contemplating... pics = 1000 words :)… I have an idea of what you are talking about...just not quite sure. Maybe incorporate wing hold down using nylon screws/plywood? No BBQ skewers?

The pod mounted nose landing gear sounds definitely viable, would have to then definitely consider stopping the "foamboard" nose at the nose gear line and design a box/plate to house the nose gear pod. Because the nose is not square sided it will require some...fiddling.

I think the nose piece will turn out fine. It will curve (hourglass) left/right as well as match the slope from top to nose and bottom to nose. Or I hope it is close. I think a trial run on that should show where it needs modifications...However, if the intent is to use a carved foam nose forward of the nose gear, it does need some redesign.

The camel hump idea is asolutely awesome. If you could sketch what you are contemplating... pics = 1000 words :)… I have an idea of what you are talking about...just not quite sure. Maybe incorporate wing hold down using nylon screws/plywood? No BBQ skewers?

The pod mounted nose landing gear sounds definitely viable, would have to then definitely consider stopping the "foamboard" nose at the nose gear line and design a box/plate to house the nose gear pod. Because the nose is not square sided it will require some...fiddling.
I will mod a Guinea like a Sherpa. Since the di... angled wing spar is in the middle under the hump... The forward section of hump could extend down, over the internal wing bracing doubler and down over the back as well. I was thinking maybe anchoring a piece of paint stick with the female end of a Chicago Screw in each corner, then just screw in the males.

Chappie66

If the hump were designed and affixed to the center section, it would provide a good way to "anchor" the wing. Chicago Screw or drill and tap the paint stick and use a nylon crew, whichever is easier. The hold down points would need some extra beef built into the wing to prevent crushing.

Chappie66

Got some work done on a nose hold down design and a new wing hump idea.

Will try to get some work done on it Sunday and maybe have something to show Monday or Tues.

After that think I am going to do a rough prototype no electronics
+/

Broke down after finally finding Ross FB in a hidden corning of my local Wally World, and picked up the last (straight without holes) 9 sheets they had. Then splurged on a fine tip glue gun, sticks, glue (Justin at it again), cutting mat, metal yard stick, etc... from the sewing section of all places! Oh, and the Ross foam board is in the office supply section with the cardboard and art supplies for kids projects.

Chappie66

Broke down after finally finding Ross FB in a hidden corning of my local Wally World, and picked up the last (straight without holes) 9 sheets they had. Then splurged on a fine tip glue gun, sticks, glue (Justin at it again), cutting mat, metal yard stick, etc... from the sewing section of all places! Oh, and the Ross foam board is in the office supply section with the cardboard and art supplies for kids projects.
Trial build?

For stress relief I sat at the keyboard and mouse drawing these... after I realized I needed a plan to build by first. I could "Wing It" (oh boo), but then again would it fly? Hmm.
PaintPatternHA-01.png
PaintPatternHA-02.png
PaintPatternHA-03.png
PaintPatternHA-04.png

Chappie66

That is an awesome looking color scheme!

My experience, the nose gear housing is a little on the weak side...Mine has taken a few repairs. My next build may see a foam block and brass tube to spread the landing force. Rears so far are good.

Chappie66

My Dad passed away after a 2 year fight with cancer, so not much playing around got done. I have a couple sketches to show on possible wing hold down and hump idea

Attachments

• SV_f_wg_holddown.pdf
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SV_wg_hump.pdf
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
I'll my best to you and yours at this time. I have lost my mom and her brothers just a few years back... all to cancer in one way or another. The second hardest thing is to lose a parent, the first is a child. May nothing but good memories and fondness come from each thought about your dad.

Chappie66

Thanks Scooter, much appreciated, and sorry for your loss. Cancer is a beast that needs to be beat.

But we move on. Having a new granddaughter will help. She will be 3 weeks old on Saturday.

Q-D I bet! Last month my adopted son had a son. Nuts how life goes on. I've thought about building a Pink Guinea Pig with the ribbons, or a cancer ribbon bird.
BEST NEWS YET! MY KIT GUINEA IS HERE! PICS TO COME!

Chappie66, Mike, HELP! I love the design of the Guinea... Reminds me of the Boeing Electra... but the nose tip is to WIDE! Could you or do you know of someone who can draw up plan for just the nose with a tip about half the width of the nose box. About 2.5 to 3 inches wide? Please!

Chappie66

Chappie66, Mike, HELP! I love the design of the Guinea... Reminds me of the Boeing Electra... but the nose tip is to WIDE! Could you or do you know of someone who can draw up plan for just the nose with a tip about half the width of the nose box. About 2.5 to 3 inches wide? Please!
. FT_GP_3.jpg

The current width of completed nose tip is just over 3" wide. Likely about 3.25" or so. Do you want it smaller than that?

Last edited:

Chappie66

The one on left is 1/2 inch narrower. Right is 1 inch narrower

Attachments

• FT_GP_Nose.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
Dude you are "Da Man!" Thanks. I was going to have to break down and grid the whole thing out... etc... If I need more I'm going to hit up Wally World in the morning.
Just drove a 10 hour 485 mile day from just south of Portland Oregon down near the Ore/Cali boarder. So, i need to hit the rack. Check with you tomorrow.
By the way, nice Canadian SAR livery on your bird!

Chappie66

Dude you are "Da Man!" Thanks. I was going to have to break down and grid the whole thing out... etc... If I need more I'm going to hit up Wally World in the morning.
Just drove a 10 hour 485 mile day from just south of Portland Oregon down near the Ore/Cali boarder. So, i need to hit the rack. Check with you tomorrow.
By the way, nice Canadian SAR livery on your bird!
Thanks Scooter...the colors seem to pop in the sky. :)