Foam board

Stealthwire

Just curious where everyone gets their foam board. I live in a pretty under populated area and was wondering if anybody had any good places online to buy for best prices?

Thanks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use 2 brands of FB, Adams from Dollar Tree, $1/sheet and Ross from Walmart, 88 cents/sheet. Both work equally well for me. Walmart sells a couple of other FB brands that will work but they are heavier and more expensive.

Keno

Just curious where everyone gets their foam board. I live in a pretty under populated area and was wondering if anybody had any good places online to buy for best prices?

Thanks!
You can order Dollar Tree FB (Adams Readi-Board one-line from Dollar Tree either deliver to you or with free shipping to a local store near you. Check out Dollar Tree website. I assume you live in the US if not then forget this post.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I bought 4 sheets of 20" x 30" Elmer's acid free foam board from my local Walmart, without knowing that it is quite heavy. I had an ambition to build the Flite test Fokker DR1 as my first foamie… well that was a mistake. Yesterday I test fit the three wings with the assembled fuselage (it's all scratch built)

It's way too heavy. I don't think it will get off the ground with the power pack F I ordered, so I'm going to chalk it up to practice and look for a new build. I don't have a precise scale handy but it's at least 1.5 lbs without the landing gear and electronics not to mention the battery.

I don't mind at all, it was important to practice scaling, cutting, beveling, etc some things I had never done before - but this thing is never going to fly.

I think you have to buy 25 sheets at a time though. I have three dollar tree stores near me; none of them have a box opened on the floor. It's not the cost that I'm averse to it's the space, I wouldn't even know where to put the other 20-23 sheets until I need to use them

I've had really good luck using the Elmer's board to build flying wings.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
bummer dude. i feel for ya. when i built my DR1 i covered the entire plane in red tissue paper, then airbrushed black stripes and wing lines. took me forever. i would have been soooo bummed had it not flown after all that work. i guess at least you can finish assembly, shoot it red with paint, and then you got a nice display. :LOL:

good luck on your rebuild.

me :cool:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I bought 4 sheets of 20" x 30" Elmer's acid free foam board from my local Walmart
Yes, the Elmers stuff is way too heavy and cost more.
Ross brand form Wal-Mart is far lighter, it's very similar to DTFB (Adams). The biggest difference I can see, Ross paper is harder to peal off than Adams

evranch

I live way out in the country and I just buy a bunch of it at Dollar Tree when I go to the city (150km away). It doesn't go bad.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
you have to order a case and they might be willing to crack it open and sell you one or two sheets at a time but it's all up to the store owner/manager
@Keno was talking about Dollar Tree, I’m talking about Dollar General. They are two completely separate companies. Which one did you try?

Keno

I bought 4 sheets of 20" x 30" Elmer's acid free foam board from my local Walmart, without knowing that it is quite heavy. I had an ambition to build the Flite test Fokker DR1 as my first foamie… well that was a mistake. Yesterday I test fit the three wings with the assembled fuselage (it's all scratch built)

It's way too heavy. I don't think it will get off the ground with the power pack F I ordered, so I'm going to chalk it up to practice and look for a new build. I don't have a precise scale handy but it's at least 1.5 lbs without the landing gear and electronics not to mention the battery.

I don't mind at all, it was important to practice scaling, cutting, beveling, etc some things I had never done before - but this thing is never going to fly.

I think you have to buy 25 sheets at a time though. I have three dollar tree stores near me; none of them have a box opened on the floor. It's not the cost that I'm averse to it's the space, I wouldn't even know where to put the other 20-23 sheets until I need to use them
You have a point there..

Headbang

Master member
Dollar tree does everything by the sheet. Even if you buy 4 boxes like I did, they take 1 sheet and scan it 100 times. Was comical to watch, but they were good about when I showed them a pic of the sea duck I built with it. Try asking them for how ever many sheets you need, they will most likely be glad to help 🙂

pjcareyiii

Dollar tree does everything by the sheet. Even if you buy 4 boxes like I did, they take 1 sheet and scan it 100 times. Was comical to watch, but they were good about when I showed them a pic of the sea duck I built with it. Try asking them for how ever many sheets you need, they will most likely be glad to help 🙂
I already asked. They want $25 for 25 sheets. I'd rather order from flitetest.com for the laser printing added value - I have nowhere to put the other 20 sheets I will not use in the next 12 months

Headbang

Master member
I already asked. They want $25 for 25 sheets. I'd rather order from flitetest.com for the laser printing added value - I have nowhere to put the other 20 sheets I will not use in the next 12 months
That just sucks. I had wierd issues with my local store as well. I have been to 4 others since and had a really good experience. The 4 boxes I ordered were from a dt in a town 40mins away. Funny part is the local store is owned by the district manager, and she was at the other store when I picked up the boxes and had no issues with it. If you were close I would not only give you the 4 sheets, I would cnc cut them for you as well! I dont need 100 sheets personally, I got them to cut planes for club members.

Keno

You will be surprised at what you can do with the other 20 sheets. But I understand your problem. It seems odd to me that a Dollar Tree stores does not offer them as a one item purchase. These boards are quite a popular (cheap) for schools projects, posters, and designers who desire to display their work in 3D. We don't have any Dollar General store in our area so not I can not speak for them. You might try to convince your local DT manager to offer these board as they are a popular purchase. I hope things go well for you and happy flying.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Is there another design you may be familiar with? I'm more along the lines of a high wing trainer but I would prefer it had 4 channels and some guts

I have a 72" wingspan Storch as well. The wings are Elmer's board and the fuse is DTFB. I gave it a massive motor (4238-750) and it spins a 12x8 prop. It has plenty of guts.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Is there another design you may be familiar with? I'm more along the lines of a high wing trainer but I would prefer it had 4 channels and some guts
A belated reply but if you want something that can fly well, is a proven design, has the ability to fly very slow when fitted with flaps and is reasonably robust then try the Das Little Stick.

Here is mine, (now almost 2 years old and still flying), coming in for a landing!
Model Aircraft 20161002-29.jpg

Just a suggestion!

have fun!