Foam For Hot Wire Cutting

Power_Broker

I've never hot wire cut foam for wings before and I'm not sure which is best to use.

I would greatly prefer something that comes at least 4ft wide, not too expensive, and something I can find at a store without having to order online.

Any suggestions?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If you're in the US and near a Lowes or Home Depot the pink or green insulating foam in the building materials aisle works good.

Power_Broker

Thanks, rockyboy! I looked at Lowes for the pink or green foam, but they didn't have any. I ended up going with some polyiso foam sheathing (EPS - 2" thick) and it's worked perfectly.

I finished cutting the wings here today and want to get an idea of my options for reinforcement. I already have a set of spars, but I'd like to apply a treatment to the outside of the wings to give it a hard "exoskeleton".

What sort of techniques are out there? Maybe a sort of epoxy paint?

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I usually take extruded polystyrene from the nearby store, I put fiber tape and the leading and trailing edge of the wings and sometimes use a spar. I have yet to cover one with stuff but I need to get myself some epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth.