Foam for UK flyers????

Yakuza7104

I've been wanting to build the FT spitfire for a while now but I can't seem to find any foam board in the UK.

What is it that people use here?

Depron foam is the main thing I have found on Ebay and amazon really.

K70nyk

I've been wanting to build the FT spitfire for a while now but I can't seem to find any foam board in the UK.

Hobby craft currently have buy 2 get 1 free, around £4.50 per A1 sheet.

Just Finished my first self build using it.

mjcp

I've been using the Hobby Craft foam too. I've also bought a couple of speed build kits from FT so can give a comparison between the "real" foam and the Hobby Craft stuff.

The DTFB foam is lighter, but its also cr@p quality by comparison... The paper is easy to peal off, the foam is lower density/compresses easier. If you peel the paper, it will remove some foam too, its very well adhered.

The Hobby Craft foam paper has a surface to the paper that makes it more resistant to liquid - it needs a bit of rubbing to remove the paper layer and it leaves a thin layer of glue behind (not sticky and its smooth). The foam seems to last longer too (due to the density?)

It IS heavier though. (there are figures in the FT forums with weight comparisons) I recall its roughly double, so *most* planes will be fine, but the very light/low power ones may have issues as spec'd.

On a related matter - Hobby craft also stock a card like paper called Ticket paper (I think) that seems to be the equivalent of the Poster board in the plans.

Here's my nnA10 built from Hobby Craft foam. It flies well and is robust at my local field which is a heath with gorse bushes!

nnA10 build log

IMG_2130.JPG

Last edited:

viggen

im in the uk.i get foamboard from ebay.but dont buy it from a seller called groumet paper..they are about £5 cheaper per pack of 10.but the quality is junk.the foam is very soft and the outer paper doesnt cut well...

the posterboard is plasticard.(10 tho.or 0.25mm)

here is my slinger

viggen

im in the uk.i get foamboard from ebay.but dont buy it from a seller called groumet paper..they are about £5 cheaper per pack of 10.but the quality is junk.the foam is very soft and the outer paper doesnt cut well...

the posterboard is plasticard.(10 tho.or 0.25mm)

here is my slinger

mjcp

ouch you paid for shipping from usa for a speed build kit.i bet that was expensive

I bought two kits (Cruiser and Guinea pig) so less per plane, but yeah...shipping was nearly as much as the kits. Probably wouldn't do it again, mainly due to the quality of the FB vs local stuff!

mjcp

viggen

i just brought 2 tacon motors from US.shipping was 57 dollars for a very small box,400g..so i got it shipped to a friend in the US for free then they sent it to me.cost him 14 dollars...so much cheaper

mjcp

i just brought 2 tacon motors from US.shipping was 57 dollars for a very small box,400g..so i got it shipped to a friend in the US for free then they sent it to me.cost him 14 dollars...so much cheaper

Yeah, but if I had them shipped via my Sister-in-law, my wife might find out about my plane habbit :black_eyed:

mjcp

Yakuza7104

I found some down the local Paperway shop which was £5 for white A1 or £9.95 for a black sheet of foam board :O

Some really nice builds here guys I'll have to take some photos of mines so far, I've done a FT Flyer for the misses and the FT Punjet for myself :p

I'll have a good look on the Hobby Craft webpage cheers for that guys =]

barryg69

Hi guys im going to build a FT storch out of hobbycraft foam board but im a bit worried about the weight. What prop, motor, esc and battery would you recommend. I want is as powerful as possible so i can use it in a spitfire as well. Thanks

elias-b

Yeah definitely buy hobby craft foam its great quality:) and they have lots of deals on it to theres one in ramsgate,kent if that helps