Foam Laser Cutting service?

NC_Fly_Boy

Hi all,

I'm looking for a laser cutting service to cut some foam core for me. Does anyone know of a service that does this?

Thanks,
Steve

Antioch

Steve, you may want to do a search in your local area. You should supply the file so you will need to ask what format they want it in. You also want to ask what size bed there laser has...

I have a couple & while I cut my own I stay far away from offering to cut FT plans for money for others....

kilroy07

Legendary member
Another laser owner here and I second @Antioch I would rather see you support FT than do them for hire myself...
That said, if it's community created content (or even your own plans) then I think that would be okay (maybe with the author's consent.)

NC_Fly_Boy

Thanks for the input guys. I've spoken with some people that have laser cutters but they say that they don't work well with foam core. They mention that the cuts are not square as the foam melts which produces a bevel. Has that been your experience?

kilroy07

Legendary member
There will always be some undercutting with a laser. I minimize that by running each sheet twice with lower powers that what one would need to cut in one pass. This helps minimize the heat and therefore the undercutting.

Personally this has never been an issue but I can see where some people might have an issue with it.

If you think it might be for you...
You might find something interesting here;
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/cutting-foam-sheets-with-a-needle.24251/
Longest runing thread here (grab snacks before you sit down to read this one.) 😂

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the input guys. I've spoken with some people that have laser cutters but they say that they don't work well with foam core. They mention that the cuts are not square as the foam melts which produces a bevel. Has that been your experience?
I have not had any first hand experience with a laser. I have heard that foam board is difficult to cut with a laser, it takes a lot of power. Far more that cutting wood. That is why many are going to the needle cutter. Also with a laser, if you are cutting material with some thickness, the material above the focal point, will be cut in a grove, not a square vertical cut. But to be honest, I don't think we need that much accuracy with a foam board plane.

Headbang

Master member
I personally do not like the divot on the edge of laser cut fb. I think my needle cutter makes for a stronger and lighter airframe, square edges go together better.

Antioch

As Kilroy says there is some bevelling but again depends on the laser that is being used. Trotec (one of the more premium mid tier sellers) has at lest one sales office where one of there techs (who was into flying) cut out one of the FT planes... lines were very crisp with very little bevelling. So if you are going to someone who can cut... get them to try a sample cut or two & see what they come up with & if you are happy.

I did a couple of tiny trainers for myself (planning on crashing a few) and these were on my Chinese laser... some bevelling but did not show up that much at all.

Keep in mind all the FT kits are cut on a laser. It is a matter of spending time to dial in your settings for the machine you are using

kilroy07

Legendary member
@Merv if they have a hard time cutting foam I can almost guarantee they are trying a diode laser. A CO2 laser has no problem cutting it. Heck, I have to dial my 60 watt down to where it just “fires” (forms a coherent beam) to mark... anything more and it’s an etch cut! 😂

A needle cutter is the best option for some, heck I might just build one and bring it to FF.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
@Merv if they have a hard time cutting foam I can almost guarantee they are trying a diode laser. A CO2 laser has no problem cutting it. Heck, I have to dial my 60 watt down to where it just “fires” (forms a coherent beam) to mark... anything more and it’s an etch cut! 😂

A needle cutter is the best option for some, heck I might just build one and bring it to FF.
Yes that is my understanding, something like a 4 watts can cut plywood but it takes 40 watts to cut white foam board. 10x more power.

Looking forward to FF19