Foam Planes for Wedding Centerpieces

crash bandicoot

I may need to make a full fledged article for this, but for now I just wanted to show you guys this.
My future wife has bought in on the idea of having an "Aviation Travel Theme" for our wedding. So to keep with that theme, each of our guests tables will have a plane sitting on top of a vase of flowers. High enough for people to talk without having to look around the plane.
I made 29 planes, all from plans on here, www.parkjets.com or a particular thread with a bunch of profile warbirds on R/C groups.

Here are some of the planes... I guess I should mention that I like Dive bombers/ early ground attack aircraft.
A-36.jpg BF-109.jpg F-14.jpg F-105.jpg Fw-109.jpg Grumman Goose.jpg IL-2.jpg P-40.jpg P-51D.jpg SBD Dauntless.jpg Sea Dart.jpg Viper.jpg XB-70.jpg
As some of you know, spray paint and home depot foam don't always mix, so I used Latex paint, and a Wagner sprayer to paint them all.

Wedding Pile.jpg Wedding Plane Paint Test.jpg Painted Planes.jpg

So, now I just have to put on the table numbers on the tail or body of each plane, and some pen stripes for some of them as well.

Here are some pics of the wedding. We had a pilot and flight attendant photo booth. A crashed R/C airplane grooms cake. A check in table upon arrival, and some taxing lights for the ushers to welcome us in.

airmail.jpg
Hopeful future airplane admirer
airplane child.jpg
corsair.jpg
cake.jpg

grandpa and connie.jpg
An Archway of planes
plane arch.jpg

Some of my friends having fun with the props…

goggles.jpg

My ushers bringing the wedding party to their "Gate"
taxi lights.jpg

Here is the seating chart that I used that I put in the format of an arrival board.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Niiiiice!!!

Now all you need is some cheap way to rig up slow spinning props with battery life for a few hours. You can always fall back on disks of transparency film, but having a warped toung depressor prop turn at ~20-30 RPM would just be perfect . . .

crash bandicoot

RCPrairie, that looks fun but $14 x 30 planes would add up quick. Right now I was thinking of leaving it alone, or at least putting on a thumbtack to look like a prop spinner. I'll have to get some more pictures up for better details.

DDSFlyer

Or just make something light that may slowly turn in the wind or A/C. That's an awesome idea and an even greater bride to be for agreeing to it!

RCPrairie, that looks fun but $14 x 30 planes would add up quick. Right now I was thinking of leaving it alone, or at least putting on a thumbtack to look like a prop spinner. I'll have to get some more pictures up for better details.

Oh sorry about the link, I didn't look a the price on the amazon link I included. :eek:
I purchased mine from a dollar store for a couple dollars.
I was hoping it would spark an idea to scratch build vs actually buying the kit.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Just get some rubber bands, glue a short skewer under the planes and watch the chaos ensue. :)