Foam Russia with Love

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looking good! I loved making the top hatch! I think it’s my favorite individual part for any FT plane yet 😸! The fit between the back bottom plate and the wing wasn’t too bad to fix. I felt it would be easier to replace the bottom plate than the wing if I messed it up. 😬 I’m glad you’re going back to work! It can be really hard to get back into the swing of things.

I’m curious as to the ironing. I’ve seen it mentioned a few times and some folks seem to use it on every project. The extra rigidity sounds nice. I assume you’re not using the household clothes iron 😆.

I had most of the plane built by Monday and I primed on Tuesday. I was able to get most of the paint done and have only a few touch up spots to work on. Yeah! This step adds days to the build but it’s also an extension of the building side. View attachment 148139 View attachment 148140
I put on the landing gear last night. I used a .78 diameter wire instead of then.10 that is used in the build video. It was easier to bend than my storch LG so I actually anticipate bent wires with hard landings. View attachment 148141

I also got the power pod installed and all electronics hooked up. I was exhausted by that point so I’ll adjust expo/rates tonight. I think I have to revisit my wire routing. I kinda just shoved everything inside from the battery hatch part and it could be cleaner. View attachment 148147
View attachment 148148
I wanted to use a different prop from my storch so I’ve put on a 9x 6. I know it’s more aggressive than recommend but it’s what I have. If this is a big no go, then let me know.

So, here she is! View attachment 148150 View attachment 148149
This was a involved but fun build! I think it went easier than the storch, but i think that plane set me up for better success here. I’m excited and terrified to maiden the mig and I want to thank the FT community for support and encouragement
I’ve been imagining all the other planes being built and readied for flight weekend and it makes me smile thinking I’ll be flying with all of you!
That looks like a sharp plane. You did really well with all the new techniques like the forming and custom cutting. Looks like she will go fast.

As far as the maiden goes, the 9x6 is perfect for this plane. anything smaller in pitch will almost make it seem under powered for the wing size and profile. 9x6 is my go to prop for any plane to maiden, if you want more speed later you could get away with an 8x8.

Ironed edges are something that offers so many benefits, I have tutorial vids on it here. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Again great looking plane and I wish you all the best on the maiden

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Actually I think the household Iron is a better option. Has a bigger surface to retain heat, is just as adjustable for heat settings and can be half the price. Mine works awesome all the time. Super consistent and easy to handle.

K3V0

Elite member
Actually I think the household Iron is a better option. Has a bigger surface to retain heat, is just as adjustable for heat settings and can be half the price. Mine works awesome all the time. Super consistent and easy to handle.
And yes, we do - or at lest @BATTLEAXE and I - use household irons😉

Thanks you guys! I took it outside to test everything and taxi around. She wants to fly sooo bad! The tail lifted up pretty quick and she’s maneuverable on the ground. The skid needs reinforcement and I’ll dial in my CG but I’m stoked for tomorrow morning.
My wife is gonna be unhappy when she starts seeing foam/glue bits on the iron 😉

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks you guys! I took it outside to test everything and taxi around. She wants to fly sooo bad! The tail lifted up pretty quick and she’s maneuverable on the ground. The skid needs reinforcement and I’ll dial in my CG but I’m stoked for tomorrow morning.
actually the iron is an easy swipe with a towel while it is still hot and it's clean, good as new. Just a tip for ya, it's in my vids too

Zetoyoc

Elite member

I am excited to try ironing foam as well and decided to check out my local thrift shop and found a nice sized travel iron for $5. a lot less hassle than trying to blame messing up my wife's iron on the cats.

your plane looks amazing by the way :)

iron.jpg

-J

K3V0

Elite member
I am excited to try ironing foam as well and decided to check out my local thrift shop and found a nice sized travel iron for $5. a lot less hassle than trying to blame messing up my wife's iron on the cats.

your plane looks amazing by the way :)

View attachment 148173

-J
Thanks so much! I like the dark green on your scout a lot! Good idea about the thrift store iron too! I guess that easier than getting a cat to blame things on.
That will work perfect. Play around with it on some scrap FB, maybe you will see another good idea for using it. I use mine to bevel hinges, double bevels on wing folds, and I will be looking into how to use it to form curves in FB panels, got inspired by the History channel show Forged In Fire
@BATTLEAXE your tips thread is super cool and helpful. I’ve been seeing examples of your planes around and I get why they look so good!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks man I appreciate the compliments, on many levels. My planes look the best just before the maiden, then Its all downhill from there. Your collection is pretty impressive as well, especially the Mig. Is she gonna fly tomorrow?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I’m curious as to the ironing. I’ve seen it mentioned a few times and some folks seem to use it on every project. The extra rigidity sounds nice. I assume you’re not using the household clothes iron 😆.
I don't use the household iron. Truth is, any old iron will do. I like my hobby iron, though. I'm posting a pic, where you can see the results of the ironing.

20191115_231922.jpg

To do it right takes a little patience. Forming and melting the edges down until they meet in the center. Run the iron on one side, then the other, pinch the melted foam, and do it all again. It's worth it, though. The end result is like having a carbon fiber rod glued along the edges of the surfaces. Only there's no carbon fiber rod, and until it's broken, the edges are just as stiff. It's a skill that takes practice. What skill doesn't? ;)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Looking good! I loved making the top hatch! I think it’s my favorite individual part for any FT plane yet 😸! The fit between the back bottom plate and the wing wasn’t too bad to fix. I felt it would be easier to replace the bottom plate than the wing if I messed it up. 😬 I’m glad you’re going back to work! It can be really hard to get back into the swing of things.

I had most of the plane built by Monday and I primed on Tuesday. I was able to get most of the paint done and have only a few touch up spots to work on. Yeah! This step adds days to the build but it’s also an extension of the building side. View attachment 148139 View attachment 148140
I put on the landing gear last night. I used a .78 diameter wire instead of then.10 that is used in the build video. It was easier to bend than my storch LG so I actually anticipate bent wires with hard landings. View attachment 148141

I also got the power pod installed and all electronics hooked up. I was exhausted by that point so I’ll adjust expo/rates tonight. I think I have to revisit my wire routing. I kinda just shoved everything inside from the battery hatch part and it could be cleaner. View attachment 148147
View attachment 148148
I wanted to use a different prop from my storch so I’ve put on a 9x 6. I know it’s more aggressive than recommend but it’s what I have. If this is a big no go, then let me know.

So, here she is! View attachment 148150 View attachment 148149
This was a involved but fun build! I think it went easier than the storch, but i think that plane set me up for better success here. I’m excited and terrified to maiden the mig and I want to thank the FT community for support and encouragement
I’ve been imagining all the other planes being built and readied for flight weekend and it makes me smile thinking I’ll be flying with all of you!
I neglected to say that your plane is absolutely gorgeous! You've done it right, all the way. I was going to belly land mine. You've inspired me to put gear on it. Thank you.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I neglected to say that your plane is absolutely gorgeous! You've done it right, all the way. I was going to belly land mine. You've inspired me to put gear on it. Thank you.
Does the Mig call for paint stick reinforcement in the wing like the Mustang or the Spit?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Does the Mig call for paint stick reinforcement in the wing like the Mustang or the Spit?
Before the wing is folded over, there are supports glued to the inside. I did the supports, just in case I later wanted to put in landing gear. I wasn't planning to. The chances of me successfully landing this bird on the gear is pretty darn remote. I built the supports into the wing, just in case. I'm glad I did. I can at least take off on those wheels. I now really want that.

K3V0

Elite member
0D8FA803-AB0B-460E-A0C8-1E733F65FD09.jpeg
Morning and happy Saturday! I maidened the mig today!🎉 I used a 1800 3cell to start with and she went right up! Even with a smaller battery, loops and rolls worked out with practice. It is fast! Or at least I’m not used warbirds and faster planes. 🤔 I feel like I’m borrowing my buddy’s corvette and I just want to drive around the block without crashing into anyone or causing any damage 😆I was able to bring it in for a decent landing though, so, score! Moving onto the 2200 3cell was different too! I had to play around with the CG a few times before I got a smoother flight. It felt like it had more power of course but it felt less spritely too.

The landing gear is crucial! Go for it @buzzbomb ! I know it can totally belly land and I’m sure I’ll end up doing that sooner or later but the LG works really well. I was sweating my landing the first time but it worked out! The reinforcement that we put in at the beginning really pays off. Subsequent landings were harder and actually ripped out the right side. The wing is definitely fine and the paint sticks are doing their job. I didn’t get a picture of the damaged but you can see the repair job.
E2852B6F-CED3-4CCA-8704-1DE4492707B7.jpeg
I used some CA and gorilla tape in the field and went back up. Next landing, the gear held up but the glue “wheel collar” was loose and the wheel rolled away😆. Some of the other planes seem to have more margin for error in the landing gear, the storch for instance, seems to take nearly any landing in stride. As always, practicing getting lined up for landing will be one of my flying exercises in the future.

This build has been really fun and I have more to go with this plane. I need to dial her in and just feel more comfortable with the speed and capability.
Thanks everyone, happy flying!

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Beautiful. I am about to chose a new build and this is inspiring. I have flown only the mini scout on a 2cell so something like this will be a new challenge for sure. Sounds like it went very well for you, Congrats!

-Jesse

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
This build has been really fun and I have more to go with this plane.
It is a bit of a different monster then the Scout or the Storch. Definitely faster and more maneuverable. Great job on the maiden though, happy things went well with minimal damage. I can tell you are excited not only with the build but with how it flies. I, like @bracesport, am anticipating some video.

I haven't built or flown the Mig yet. I am in need of a new war bird but it might not be the Mig, haven't decided which or even when a new one will be on the bench but it will be something cool.

I am also anticipating what you will do next, could it be a biplane, or a wing, we don't know. I will be staying tuned in. Do you have a YouTube channel yet?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Beautiful. I am about to chose a new build and this is inspiring. I have flown only the mini scout on a 2cell so something like this will be a new challenge for sure. Sounds like it went very well for you, Congrats!

-Jesse
Cool new avatar, very fitting to your region actually

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
View attachment 148220 Morning and happy Saturday! I maidened the mig today!🎉 I used a 1800 3cell to start with and she went right up! Even with a smaller battery, loops and rolls worked out with practice. It is fast! Or at least I’m not used warbirds and faster planes. 🤔 I feel like I’m borrowing my buddy’s corvette and I just want to drive around the block without crashing into anyone or causing any damage 😆I was able to bring it in for a decent landing though, so, score! Moving onto the 2200 3cell was different too! I had to play around with the CG a few times before I got a smoother flight. It felt like it had more power of course but it felt less spritely too.

The landing gear is crucial! Go for it @buzzbomb ! I know it can totally belly land and I’m sure I’ll end up doing that sooner or later but the LG works really well. I was sweating my landing the first time but it worked out! The reinforcement that we put in at the beginning really pays off. Subsequent landings were harder and actually ripped out the right side. The wing is definitely fine and the paint sticks are doing their job. I didn’t get a picture of the damaged but you can see the repair job. View attachment 148225 I used some CA and gorilla tape in the field and went back up. Next landing, the gear held up but the glue “wheel collar” was loose and the wheel rolled away😆. Some of the other planes seem to have more margin for error in the landing gear, the storch for instance, seems to take nearly any landing in stride. As always, practicing getting lined up for landing will be one of my flying exercises in the future.

This build has been really fun and I have more to go with this plane. I need to dial her in and just feel more comfortable with the speed and capability.
Thanks everyone, happy flying!
Congrats on the successful maiden! If you brought the plane home in one piece, that's a win! Like the others, I was hoping for some video, though. I should be finishing my build over the next couple evenings. I hope my maiden goes as well as yours did!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks man I appreciate the compliments, on many levels. My planes look the best just before the maiden, then Its all downhill from there. Your collection is pretty impressive as well, especially the Mig. Is she gonna fly tomorrow?
Hopefully your planes will come back just as good as they did once your transmitter gets back? Do you have any idea when that might be?