Foam Russia with Love

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hopefully your planes will come back just as good as they did once your transmitter gets back? Do you have any idea when that might be?
Might not be till later next week, I still have the Baby Spear to maiden yet, and I fixed the Sportster wing tip. Snow on the ground means the floats will be going on. Servos will show up within the next couple of weeks after so the BW maiden is on hold till then.

Since you got your fancy FTFB, wanna do a P-47?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
When do you start to get excited about a build? When do you look at it and stop thinking about building, and start thinking about flying? For me, on this build, it was here.

20191117_225933.jpg

That sleek wing, mated to that sexy, long nose. I started to get excited about flying this bird. Still a little more work to do.

20191118_021510.jpg

Landing gear! We got 'em! I added some extra bracing, over the wire. All that's left is some wing tape and the electronics installation. She's looking pretty darn good, and nearly ready for her maiden!

K3V0

Elite member
When do you start to get excited about a build? When do you look at it and stop thinking about building, and start thinking about flying? For me, on this build, it was here.

View attachment 148339

That sleek wing, mated to that sexy, long nose. I started to get excited about flying this bird. Still a little more work to do.

View attachment 148340

Landing gear! We got 'em! I added some extra bracing, over the wire. All that's left is some wing tape and the electronics installation. She's looking pretty darn good, and nearly ready for her maiden!
I know exactly what you mean Buzzbomb! It’s really cool moment when the wing fits into the fuse and you see the final form so close to completion. I’m interested in your LG bracing too, it should really help. Nice looking build, man! Looking forward to reading about your maiden, happy flying!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah of coarse. You know what I thought it was a weird idea when I started in these forums and really didn't think much of it. Some people suggested it to me when I was discussing all the rookie issues I was having, so I reluctantly started doing it. I was embarrassed for my flying skills thinking it would just be a big laugh fest, some people in this hobby, no one here of coarse, can be really clicky about RC flight, I have experienced this in the past. Like if I am not experienced in the hobby that I don't belong kinda mentality. But it was so helpful for me for others to see it and offer suggestions.

Not to say that you need help, but it is fun to share the experience good or bad with others, not only for me to share mine, but to see others as well. It is like your flying right beside them. My YT channel has a crap ton of vids of me flying different planes and I will go back and watch mine or someone else's I have subscribed to, I learn from it.

K3V0

Elite member
Yeah of coarse. You know what I thought it was a weird idea when I started in these forums and really didn't think much of it. Some people suggested it to me when I was discussing all the rookie issues I was having, so I reluctantly started doing it. I was embarrassed for my flying skills thinking it would just be a big laugh fest, some people in this hobby, no one here of coarse, can be really clicky about RC flight, I have experienced this in the past. Like if I am not experienced in the hobby that I don't belong kinda mentality. But it was so helpful for me for others to see it and offer suggestions.

Not to say that you need help, but it is fun to share the experience good or bad with others, not only for me to share mine, but to see others as well. It is like your flying right beside them. My YT channel has a crap ton of vids of me flying different planes and I will go back and watch mine or someone else's I have subscribed to, I learn from it.

Im looking forward to sharing my accumulated videos but I don’t have a YouTube account as yet. The FT forum has shown nothing but encouragement from the community at large and I know that there’s a lot of collective knowledge to be tapped. I’m pretty new to this and I appreciate positive coaching about the mistakes I’m making. I take pride in my builds and that I’m able to fly and land (to some extent) but I’m always going to be learning and practicing.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I don’t have a YouTube account as yet.
Just do it! :D I try to post video of all my flights. I enjoy the reactions of others to my flights even more than I enjoy watching others fly, and that's saying a lot! I love when something I did that I think is cool is recognized by someone else and they point it out. It makes me feel good. I feel the same when I've done something stupid, and everybody laughs along with me. I share the good and the bad and then it's all good. ;)

Most importantly though, is the ability to critique myself. So many times I have crashed and I wasn't exactly sure why at the time, because it happened too fast to register. Reviewing my own video I can watch and see where I should have zigged instead of zagged. I think it really helps a lot.

If you were to watch some of my early flight videos and compare them to the latest, it is night and day. I'm fortunate that I've been able to document my entire journey into RC flight. There are several forum members who have been with me since day one. I've really enjoyed sharing my journey with them, and they've appreciated the fact that I'm sharing it. We grow together.

That's why we like video so much. We get to share our triumphs and disasters with the friends we've made here on the FT Forum. We get to share both our journey and the journeys of everyone else, as we progress and grow in this hobby that we love. It's all good. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just do it! :D I try to post video of all my flights. I enjoy the reactions of others to my flights even more than I enjoy watching others fly, and that's saying a lot! I love when something I did that I think is cool is recognized by someone else and they point it out. It makes me feel good. I feel the same when I've done something stupid, and everybody laughs along with me. I share the good and the bad and then it's all good. ;)

Most importantly though, is the ability to critique myself. So many times I have crashed and I wasn't exactly sure why at the time, because it happened too fast to register. Reviewing my own video I can watch and see where I should have zigged instead of zagged. I think it really helps a lot.

If you were to watch some of my early flight videos and compare them to the latest, it is night and day. I'm fortunate that I've been able to document my entire journey into RC flight. There are several forum members who have been with me since day one. I've really enjoyed sharing my journey with them, and they've appreciated the fact that I'm sharing it. We grow together.

That's why we like video so much. We get to share our triumphs and disasters with the friends we've made here on the FT Forum. We get to share both our journey and the journeys of everyone else, as we progress and grow in this hobby that we love. It's all good. :)
Well said (y)

OliverW

Legendary member
My Mig build has begun! :D A tip @sundown57 shared with me concerning the blue 9 gram servos most of us use: The wires coming out are not really secured to the body of the servo. They're just soldered to the board and stuck through a hole. That means they'll pull free pretty easily. A drop of CA glue on either side of the wires, where they go into the servo body prevents this. :)

View attachment 147933

I'm not quite ready for 4s yet. I'm thinking a 3s 2200mAh batt., SunnySky 2216-8 1250kv motor (because I've got two left ;)) 30amp esc and a 9x6 or 8x6 APC prop. My last free receiver is a 4 channel, so I won't be using an external bec on this one.

I've very little experience in forming foam into curves. This should be a fun and educational build for me. Besides, I can't wait to fly the darn thing! Zoom! :D
I would recommend not putting glue on the servo wire. The CA will wick into the servo and seize it up. If you do this, I very small amount of hot glue at the wire should be fine

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I would recommend not putting glue on the servo wire. The CA will wick into the servo and seize it up. If you do this, I very small amount of hot glue at the wire should be fine
I appreciate the warning, but I've been doing this for a while, now. The hole where the wires go through the case is far removed from the gears. Literally zero chance of the glue impacting the gearing.

You are right though, in that hot glue might also do the trick. I just like the fact that a few drops of superglue means I don't have to worry. That's not a bond that I'm worried about breaking! :)

OliverW

Legendary member
I appreciate the warning, but I've been doing this for a while, now. The hole where the wires go through the case is far removed from the gears. Literally zero chance of the glue impacting the gearing.

You are right though, in that hot glue might also do the trick. I just like the fact that a few drops of superglue means I don't have to worry. That's not a bond that I'm worried about breaking! :)
Alright, but I have one recommendation. When you do it, tilt the wires down to lessen the chance of servo death

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Alrighty then! Obligatory glamor shot before tomorrow's maiden!

20191119_215830.jpg

I'm pretty darn excited! That long, sexy nose with those triangular wings? She looks good on the ground, and I can only hope she flys as hot as she looks! There are so many imperfections in my build, but I realized long ago that I build to fly. When I realized that, my whole outlook on this hobby changed. Wing tape doesn't quite line up? Got a wrinkle here or there? Hotglue tore some paper? Who cares!!??

She's going to look super hot in the air. She's going to fly wonderfully. That's what matters to me. ;) Her name is Maggy, and tomorrow she goes airborne! :D

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 148520

I'm pretty darn excited! That long, sexy nose with those triangular wings? She looks good on the ground, and I can only hope she flys as hot as she looks! There are so many imperfections in my build, but I realized long ago that I build to fly. When I realized that, my whole outlook on this hobby changed. Wing tape doesn't quite line up? Got a wrinkle here or there? Hotglue tore some paper? Who cares!!??

She's going to look super hot in the air. She's going to fly wonderfully. That's what matters to me. ;) Her name is Maggy, and tomorrow she goes airborne! :D
Good job on it buzz! You’ll do great:)

K3V0

Elite member

View attachment 148520

Oh, H E double hockey sticks Yeah! Nice work @buzzbomb !🙌

Maggy looks fantastic! Have a great flight!

speedbirdted

Legendary member

View attachment 148520

prettttyyyyyy... Don't bring Maggy home in a garbage bag. Happened to me on a few maidens...

And honestly, unless your super uptight about scale (which for most builds, I'm really not) no one is going to notice minor imperfections when it's flying around in the air so there's no reason to care. If it doesn't improve performance, don't bother!