Foam Tac vs E6000

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple questions about Foam Tac and E6000. I have done a search of the forum about the two different glues. I have found some info. Just wondering if opinions have changed. I am interested in using E6000 because I can go to the big box stores and buy it. I need to repair or reinforce some hinges on the aileron or too. The plane is made from epp foam. What do you think ? Foam Tac or E6000 ? I like the hear what you guys think. Is Foam Tac that much better or is it about the same as E6000 ? I understand thin coats is best. Probably one thin coat on each side of the hinge.

Thank you for any input,
Al

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hi Everyone,

I have a couple questions about Foam Tac and E6000. I have done a search of the forum about the two different glues. I have found some info. Just wondering if opinions have changed. I am interested in using E6000 because I can go to the big box stores and buy it. I need to repair or reinforce some hinges on the aileron or too. The plane is made from epp foam. What do you think ? Foam Tac or E6000 ? I like the hear what you guys think. Is Foam Tac that much better or is it about the same as E6000 ? I understand thin coats is best. Probably one thin coat on each side of the hinge.

Thank you for any input,
Al
most people here just use hot glue, easier and if you use carefully, not too heavy.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
most people here just use hot glue, easier and if you use carefully, not too heavy.

EPP foam is a little different than the foamboard that we use; I've seen guys that really recommend using FoamTac for that stuff because it doesn't melt the EPP foam. If you have any scrap, you could always try using E6000 to glue some together and see if it melts it.

alan0043

Hey Guys,

I have used hot glue on my hinges when the wings where made from foam board (dtfb). That works great. I have a OMP Model air plane that the hinges are molded in. One of the hinges has broken. I want to repair the plane before the rest of the hinges break. I hope you can see where I am coming from. A little maintenance can go ago way. Please keep the info coming.

Bricks

Master member
I have found that Bish`s Original Tear Mender works just as good as the high priced Canopy glue or Foam Tack, but quicker drying. You can find it at many craft stores it is actually designed to mend material. You do need a good fit as it does not fill larger gaps very well as it is very thin.

cyclone3350

Master member
I have used FoamTac to reinforce and repair the molded on hinges for several foam ARF's and found it to work extremely well and is unbelievably strong. The downside is, it has to be stored air tight so take the applicator tip off and replace with the cap that came on it. I did find that Naptha will thin it out when it gets too thick to use. I have the same tube for a year now. Like U said, it has to be ordered. Yes U R right, thin coats R best. The first time I have used it, I had to cut slots in the hinge line to get it to flex. Been two years on that one and still going strong. With that being said, try the E6000 and if it works out, let us know. If it doesn't, @ least U know FoamTac will.