foam thermic 50x

dutchmonkey

i also built a 60 inch wing and tried it out it was not the best day for thermals but it does work but i would say if your plane comes in at under 8 ounces the 50 inch wing is more than enough if its over 8 ( 9gram servos, larger motor or battery) then i would go for the 60 span.

AdamV

Looks nice! My electronics shipped today. I haven't found a folding prop/spinner with a correct shaft size yet (2mm). When the plans drop, i'll try to build one quickly and let you know how it goes.

Pancho

Great pics! Can't wait to build it! I've got a set of wings, and a hill right by my house that is decent for slope soaring.

dutchmonkey

its rough but here it is i will add the underpowered pod later

Attachments

• layout3 42x22.PDF
    27.4 KB · Views: 91

dutchmonkey

don't mind the Popsicle stick this is v1 the new pillar is longer to fix this. here are a couple of more pics the arrow is 7mm and 18 inches long you should have 15 3/8" sticking out of the pillar. you need to glue the arrow shaft into the pillar before you glue it to the pod. you can see i cut slots into the boom for the push rods this is up to you. the green support / guide is a cheap cutting board material from walmart. if you have any issues let me know

Attachments

• 20150701_062318.jpeg
    20150701_062318.jpeg
    869.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150701_062209.jpeg
    20150701_062209.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20150701_062223.jpeg
    20150701_062223.jpeg
    698.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20150701_062250.jpeg
    20150701_062250.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 18

dutchmonkey

i forgot the winglet and here is the non powered pod too. i also noticed that i did not include the cut mark for the poly dihedral on the 50 inch wing it is the same as the tt angle. its about 1/8" wide on the spar location and tapers to the leading and trailing edge.

Attachments

• NPP winglet.PDF
    10.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

AdamV

that winglet PDF doesn't have winglets on it!

Also, any reason NOT to use the 60" wing? Or, rather, when would the 50" wing be better?

dutchmonkey

sorry about the fixed the pdf. the 50" vs 60" wing they both work great what i have noticed is that with my set up (mighty mini motor/12 amp esc/ 4 gram servos/ 2 cell 460 battery) the 50 inch climbs better so not as much drag i am sure i could prop down a little and do a 3 cell and it would climb just as good with the 60". now my all up weight is 7.5 oz ( i will weigh just to pod tonight for a better example) if you only have 9 gram servos or heavy motor battery to use then i would suggest the 60" to help offset the weight. but the nice thing about foam board is its cheap and quick build both and see which one you like better then you can have an adaptable plane to the flying conditions too.

AdamV

well, i *had* mine completed (60" wing); went for a glide test in my neighborhood (no tx) and tossed it. It glided a good bit further than i expected and nosed into the side of a house (a good thing i suppose). Pretty sure i bent the shaft of the Emax 1804 as it stutters and turns irregularly now and i can't find a shaft replacement, so i have a new motor in the mail. Hopefully can try flying it this weekend.

I changed the elevator to a more traditional design, i made it your way, but had problems get it to work satisfactorily (pretty sure i could do it on a second attempt). I'm still a little nervous about having enough rudder authority!

dutchmonkey

i had the same feeling on my first toss after flying the tt that does not glide the best this thing goes forever. if you get a chance post some pics. the only problem i had was with elevator authority i barely have to use any rudder to turn. if you get a chance to fly this weekend let me know how it goes for you.

paulshort

How strong is the wing? Could you Hi Start it? I like the design but the closest motor to me is China and i currently have nothing that would work for this.

Tater76

Would a carbon fiber arrow shaft work for the boom? or even aluminum? I really like this design, and the idea of extended flight time, so I will be building it this weekend. Also, does the elevator need to be enlarged?

dutchmonkey

How strong is the wing? Could you Hi Start it? I like the design but the closest motor to me is China and i currently have nothing that would work for this.

If you are going to do a high start I would add a 3/16 dowel or carbon rod for extra support on the wing. Also I would use a light duty high start to start off with. Another thing you can do is a human powered pull start (Like the old days of free flight). Good luck and let us know how it goes. And post picks of your builds thanks

dutchmonkey

Would a carbon fiber arrow shaft work for the boom? or even aluminum? I really like this design, and the idea of extended flight time, so I will be building it this weekend. Also, does the elevator need to be enlarged?

Yes I built mine with a carbon arrow shaft. As for the elevator it is set up as a full flying elevator and I have had no problems with the control athority with mine. now the full flying elevator is a little bit more compicated in building and if you want an easier build then do as adamv did and make it traditional I think you will have enough movement ether way. Post some picks and enjoy let me kn8w if there is anything else you need to know

Tater76

Do you happen to have any more pics of the flying elevator setup? I have actually never seen one, and would love to try to build it :)

Tater76

Awesome! I really appreciate that, as I am a very visual learner ;) Can't wait to get it in the air, it will be my first gliderish plane lol. I was going to build the NN DLG, but would rather have a small motor. This seems to fit the bill perfect, and looks very nice too!

dutchmonkey

So here is how I do the full flying stab. I use this cheap cutting board for guide/support And make sure your bbq skewer fits thought the holes. Next you score up the cutting board to help it stick better and hot glue it to the vertical fin and make sure the holes line up this will keep your stab horizontal. Next your going to set up the holes for the bbq skewers in the stab. after the holes are in the foam I glue the bbq skewers in with a drop of gorrila glue. Slide the two skewer through the ply control horn and the holes in the tail. Next grab the second stab and put glue in the holes and push it into place try to keep the glue only in the holes press both stabs together and let them dry. Thats about it hook up your servo and see how it works now it might not seam like it moves very far but with a full flying stab you dont really need a lot of movment to make a big effect.

Attachments

• 20150719_124600.jpeg
    20150719_124600.jpeg
    828.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20150719_124611.jpeg
    20150719_124611.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20150719_132257.jpg
    20150719_132257.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20150719_132315.jpeg
    20150719_132315.jpeg