foam thermic 50x

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Ok just finished, and glide tested. Flies very nice even just being thrown. The motor is the smallest I own, 2208 800kv, and a 500mah 3s. The wing didn't turn out as nice as I wanted, so I will likely build another but the 60" version. The wing mount had to be altered for my servo placement. I just used popsicle sticks to create a platform, and bridge over the servos. I left it open to be able to access the servos if needed.

YES it's ugly, I didn't take my time, but I'm all about flight time and not hangar queens lol. Oh well, maybe the next version will be prettier :) I want to thank DutchMonkey for taking the time to create plans. It is alot of work as I am learning.

The really cool part of this build happened last night. I went to fly at the school yard close by, and met an old gentleman who happened to be flying there too. We got to talking, flying, and generally making good friends when I mentioned the Thermic 50 I was building. He stopped for a moment, and I could see the gears turning. He then proceeded to tell me that the Thermic 50 was one of his very first planes as a teenager! He told me that he hadn't thought about that plane in nearly 50 years! So I enlightened him about Flite Test, the free plans, the foamboard, etc. I know for a fact that I just converted a 75 year old man to the FliteTest side lol. It was truly awesome, and I had no idea how old this design was wow!

That was a really, really cool story about the other flyer. Viva FT!
This Friday I am showing FT foamies at a local event at a library, glad to be spreading the word.
I have to get crackin' on getting my own T50 together.

Super that you get on with the building and just get flying. It is a delicate balance sometimes, you did well.
Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete

dutchmonkey

Well its been a wlie and my original is still flying great this is the longest I have had foam board plane. I have been playing with a few ideas for this plane.
1. Make a V-tail setup
2. Make a simple pod
3. Make conventional tail
Basicly I want to make this cheap and easy for more people to try and enjoy I will have another go at makeing plans with

dutchmonkey

the wing will have a poly dihedral but here is the idea.
1- original thermic 50x full flying stab
2- thermic 50x with v-tail
3- thermic 50x with easier to build conventional tail
4- thermic box fuse with full flying stab
5- thermic box fuse with v tail
6- thermic box fuse with easier to build conventional tail

also will have the 50" and 60" wings

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 0

BorisTheSpider

Hey, this looks great and I really hope to build it this week. I don't have a great option for printing anything at the moment so I'm going to have to go at it in at slightly more challenging way -- measuring everything out and hoping for the best. Mostly straight lines so I think it'll be fine. The pod will be at little tough though. I may end up doing a box style but I'd rather go for the original, or something like it. Just a couple questions...

Can you tell me how long your arrow shaft is (I think you said 15 3/8") and how you get the control rod to come out the side of it for your elevator? Can you give me an idea of measurements for the pod -- total unfolded length, width of each side, and maybe the length of one or more facets? I think I can guesstimate the rest.

For anyone who has built this, what kind of electronics did you use? Motor/prop combo, servos -- did anything not work or work exceptionally? I'm wondering what the smallest motor is that would work, or what the largest one would be before it's considered ludiculous. I'd really like to get something really small deal with folding props if I can find it.

dutchmonkey

18" was the total lengthof the arrow shaft. I would use a 5gr servo but 9gr will work. Mine uses a 1804 outrunner and with some of these newer quad motors you could go smaller. I havent finished the simple pod but some thing around 10 to 13 inch long 1 1/2" wide and tall should work good just make sure you have at least 5 deg down and right for the motor.

BorisTheSpider

18" was the total lengthof the arrow shaft. I would use a 5gr servo but 9gr will work. Mine uses a 1804 outrunner and with some of these newer quad motors you could go smaller. I havent finished the simple pod but some thing around 10 to 13 inch long 1 1/2" wide and tall should work good just make sure you have at least 5 deg down and right for the motor.

Great, thanks! What about the standard hexagonal pod? About the same size?