Foam wing DLG electric

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Beautiful Craftsmanship! very inspirational. Time to figure out what's glogging my 3d printer nozzle.

bracesport

Legendary member
Beautiful Craftsmanship! very inspirational. Time to figure out what's clogging my 3d printer nozzle.

3D printers - you can love them and you can hate them! Can you take out your nozzle and do you have the equipment to clean it out? Funny our nozzle was blocked this morning after sitting idol over Christmas - I had to do a de-extrude and a couple of extrudes to get it sorted.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I have learned a lot that I can put into the next build!

I am determined to crack the flying part of the equation before launching into a new build - well that is always the intention!

I think I've nutted out how I am going to make a simple linkage to the tail for elevator only. It does assume both 'V' tail elevators are trimmed nicely, so the plan is to assemble and solder one side then assemble the other with everything trimmed and taped, then solder the matching half.

IMG_5093.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
So it turns out I went in a slightly different direction, once I had the control horns in place I had an epiphany to rig up two push rods centred by four-way servo head with the main pushrod threaded to maintain alignment. I added a loop of wire at the front of the tail to prevent the pushrod wire flexing when pushing. I decided to put the control horns on top so I could use standard parts and angle the horns towards each other.

Works pretty well! At this point, the tail is not connected to the front servo. I want to get the motor and ailerons sorted then do a dry fit for the CG with battery and ESC.

A bit of touchup paint and it will be sweet!

IMG_5108.JPG
IMG_5109.JPG

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Clever. not super clean, but simple, and with the clevises you can trim each precisely. Should be plenty to get her airborne!

bracesport

Legendary member
So while I put the servos in the wing and elevators, I'm thinking about how to arrange the Rx antennas. I have read they need to be a 90 deg to each other? The FSi6B Rx antenna leads are quite long and I also read you should not kink them, so any tips or advice is welcomed!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Precision placement is not required, but you've nailed down most of the ideals.

The two antennas are linearly polarized, as is your TX antenna, so placing them at right angles to each other means both antennas will never be completely be out of polarization with your TX at the same time. if they were mounted 45 degrees off than 90, you pick up some orientations where you won't get full range out of your RX, but not as many as if they were aligned. you'll loose a little range in these orientations, but not all.

As for kinks, keep in mind these aren't wires, they're waveguides. the black part of the wire is a tunnel the RF is traveling down on it's way to the little antenna. a modest curve is fine, but stay away from sharp bends.

Another thing to avoid is your onboard noise generator . . . AKA the ESC. If you have the ESC fairly well loaded down, it will leak RF energy like mad. If it's on a matching (or harmonic) freq to the RX, it will drown out the faint TX signal it's listening for. Will it leak freqs that will interfere with your RX? Hard to say, but the losses are at r² -- they drop off dramatically with distance. Waveguides are fine, but keep the antennas away from the motor, ESC and motor leads if possible.

Only other advise is to remind that Carbon is a good RF absorber, as is your battery. The antenna waveguide can be right by them without consequence, but put your antenna against either, and they will cast a strong shadow over that antenna, reducing their visibility. Whiskers out the side works well, as is running them up into channels in the wing . . . so long as you keep them away from the spar-strips.

In the end, these are guides of bad things to avoid. Anything else -- even less than ideal -- should still perform reasonably well.

bracesport

Legendary member
1- the two antennas are linearly polarized, as is your TX antenna, so placing them at right angles to each other means both antennas will never completely be out of polarization with your TX at the same time.
2- stay away from sharp bends.
3- keep the antennas away from the motor, ESC and motor leads if possible.

Thanks Dan, thinking on this and looking at my plane I think this setup will work to keep the RX safely away from the nasty's and keep the weight up front for the CG balancing I will certainly need.

IMG_5177.JPG

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yeah, that looks fine. Might even consider adding a pair of channels into your rear fuse to route the antenna wires out. Nothing fancy, just a hole with a nub built up around it to hold the angle. Even a pair of holes drilled in strategic spots would work well -- doesn't need to be much.

bracesport

Legendary member
It's done! Finally!

I'm away for a few days with the family, so I'll have to make the final build update next week. I had a mission to get the front servo in place (for the elevators) allowing for the Rx next to it (like my sketch) as it is buried quite deeply in the back of the body of the nose assembly. In the end, I had an epiphany to release the control wire at the elevators and slide the control rod forward enough to attach the servo. Then it was simple enough to hot glue the servo in while getting the elevators as neutral as possible.

Last edited:

sumone

Can't wait to see how it flys (looks amazing).
Thanks again for sharing the .stl files.
Haven't had time to print them yet.
Have you managed to get it to balance with battery in place ?

bracesport

Legendary member
Fingers crossed I will get in the air tomorrow - the folding prop arrived yesterday and the power pod is assembled and functioning - servos are in and trimmed - the RX fits well and the antennas are at 90 deg - I just need to check the CG to see if I can get away with the 2 cell as my 3 cell is in the trainer and also ready to fly tomorrow (wind permitting)!

I was particularly happy with the folding 11x6 slow prop on the 1100kv motor!

IMG_5512.JPG
IMG_5513.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Well, the day dawned with not a breath of wind - I was ready with my trainer for a second flight, and the Vista for it's maiden.

Sadly we couldn't get out till after lunch and by then the wind was a bit. The trainer went first and flew will until I rounded with the wind and turned right when I should have turned left to level out! Amazingly there was no real damage other than the motor mount popping off!

NO CHILDREN WERE HURT DURING THE MAKING OF THIS VIDEO
(it was a bit close for comfort though and mum had some strong words with dad).

After all the anticipation I only got one flight out of the Trainer! Nevertheless, I was keen to see if the Vista could fly! At home the CG was looking good - check. The power pod was looking good - check. The control surfaces were also looking good - check.

As it turned out at the park it just wasn't my day - something was wrong with my control surface setup and I just couldn't get it working! When I got home with my tail between my legs it turned out I had plugged the ESC into channel 4 instead of channel 3! Rookie mistake!

The only blessing is I can wait for a better day with no wind for the maiden!

IMG_5530.JPG
IMG_5531.JPG
IMG_5525.JPG

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@bracesport - Kick butt!
I unsuccessfully made and flew a FB Alula as a different tact into slope soaring...
Good luck! we're watching and cheering.

jonoashton

I have just read through this build log. The Vista is a very nice build and was a pleasure to fly. I initially thought that it was a bought glider from some big professional company until Phil told me other wise. I flew it as a slope soarer mostly without the motor but I am sure that it will go well in the park as well. The day I flew it there was too much wind but it still penetrated surprisingly well. The trim was good so the incidence must have been spot on. The 3D printed parts are great and I am sure that we will see more of this type of construction in the future. Phil and I passed the transmitter back and forth and we both enjoyed some good flying
Here is Phil's video of that day