SP0NZ submitted a new resource:

Foam Wonder "Patriot" - Foam Wonder "Patriot" Free Build Plans

Foam Wonder
The "Patriot"

Based on the original balsa wood design by Bruce Tharpe

Foam Board Conversion by: Dan Sponholz
Plans by: Dan Sponholz
View attachment 228971
The Sig Wonder is a classic balsa wood and plywood, gas powered model that was designed by Bruce Tharpe in the early 90's and kitted by Sig Manufacturing. Many veteran modelers and RC pilots are familiar with this classic...

Read more about this resource...

TooJung2Die

Master member
Looks great, Sponz. I've done a few balsa to foam conversions. They often fly as well as the original balsa model with a design tweak here or there. Please explain your difficulty stars rating system. Is two stars harder or easier than average? For me, combat style airplanes are harder to fly.

Bo123

Elite member
Can you tell me the differences between all the different models? Kinda confusing

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Looks great, Sponz. I've done a few balsa to foam conversions. They often fly as well as the original balsa model with a design tweak here or there. Please explain your difficulty stars rating system. Is two stars harder or easier than average? For me, combat style airplanes are harder to fly.
The star system is a ranking from easy to hard (Beginner, Intermediate, Proficient, Advanced, and Expert). I put this at (2) intermediate because it's not a trainer, but it is a simple bank-and-yank 3 channel plane. It is very easy to fly, but does not have any self-righting (dihedral). The thick symmetrical airfoil allows the plane to fly very slow and also have great inverted flight performance. It's not a first plane for a beginner, but it could easily be a 2nd or 3rd plane.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Can you tell me the differences between all the different models? Kinda confusing
Sure, no problem. The balsa version of the Wonder includes instructions and plans to build the model in 4 different variants (Standard, Angel, Russian, and Patriot). They all look very similar and have almost identical flight performance. The differences are purely cosmetic and include the wing tip, ailerons, elevator, vertical stabilizer, and canopy shapes. The German is a non-standard Wonder variant based off a picture of one I found on the internet years ago. Hope that helps.

The tail fins (vertical stabilizers) are the easiest way to tell them apart. You can also make a completely unique version by mixing parts from any of the models.

1659447051806.png

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It's the same rating system that's been used on the FT plans for the last few years. I just changed the graphic from the FT gremlin used on the Flite Test plans to the circle/star I use in my logo for my own plans. Is it the stars that are confusing or the system in general? I only ask because we've been using it for years and I haven't really had anyone ask before.

1659454428829.png

Bo123

Elite member
Awesome thanks.
Sure, no problem. The balsa version of the Wonder includes instructions and plans to build the model in 4 different variants (Standard, Angel, Russian, and Patriot). They all look very similar and have almost identical flight performance. The differences are purely cosmetic and include the wing tip, ailerons, elevator, vertical stabilizer, and canopy shapes. The German is a non-standard Wonder variant based off a picture of one I found on the internet years ago. Hope that helps.

The tail fins (vertical stabilizers) are the easiest way to tell them apart. You can also make a completely unique version by mixing parts from any of the models.

View attachment 228982

kdobson83

Are the skins available for download on these? Some sort of printable option? I would love to make a Patriot Foam Wonder and love the way it looks.