Foam Wonder "Racer" - Foam Wonder "Racer" Free Build Plans

Foam Wonder
The "Racer"

Based on the original balsa wood design by Bruce Tharpe
Racer concept inspired by Tony Lewis

Foam Board Conversion by: Dan Sponholz
Plans by: Dan Sponholz

View attachment 232919
The Sig Wonder is a classic balsa wood and plywood, gas powered model that was designed by Bruce Tharpe in the early 90's and kitted by Sig Manufacturing. Many veteran modelers and RC pilots are familiar with this classic...

Read more about this resource...

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Thanks, @SP0NZ , this is a fun build. If it weren't so windy I'd be out flying it instead of writing this post :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IMG_4309.JPG

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
The weather surprised me this morning with the wind 3mph SE and 32°F. I built it to specs with the new shiny maker board but changed the battery hatch to a latch. With a 2300 3s battery I'm at 637g. It's a very nice predictable flier with no bad habits. I think I might increase the throws a little, maybe one hole on the servo arm. Thanks @SP0NZ !!

FlyingTyger

Elite member
The ailerons on this one are a bit smaller due to the rounded wing. I am not surprised that it may need some more throw. Looks like it flies awesome!

Last edited:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Thanks! Took all the servos from the 2nd to the 4th hole on the servo arm. Flies great, very responsive.

RCGEO

Any building suggestions? Built and fly the Ugly Wonder, Bloody
Baron, etc but this has different parts. Want to be sure I build it correctly....
Appreciated!

tomlogan1

SP0NZ submitted a new resource:

Foam Wonder "Racer" - Foam Wonder "Racer" Free Build Plans

Read more about this resource...
Hi Sponz,

No pictures yet, but the build is very easy. I am particularly pleased with how the wing turned out. It is quite an improvement over the previous Flite Test designs. Thank you for providing this. The plans are so professionally produced. I compared these to the original Tiny Trainer plans (long time favorite) and wow what a difference. Again, thank you for making a quality design available to everyone.

tomlogan1

I'm into the fuselage and a few questions... There are "reference" marks on both the doublers and the fuselage itself I presume are for the fuselage former(s)? Remove the foam in the fuselage and cut through the doublers?

For the horizontal stabilizer, is it also glued back to the trailing edge of the wing, or just where the fuselage meets the cutouts in the stabilizer?

Hinges for the battery box? Just tape the hinge and use a magnet to secure the closure?

Beyond that a real pleasure to build.

Thanks.

tomlogan1

Apologies to Sponz...

But I had a ball doing it with a few changes.

No battery door because the wing is removable.

Different firewall so the motor is out in front.

Looking forward to the maiden.

2nd picture ~ all dressed up

Attachments

• IMG_20230726_153327395.jpg
    IMG_20230726_153327395.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230727_111655742.jpg
    IMG_20230727_111655742.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

RCGEO

Here is mine.....flies GREAT ! Wonderful design.

Attachments

• 7C82BF33-9AAC-409B-B0E6-67176ED4A214.jpeg
    7C82BF33-9AAC-409B-B0E6-67176ED4A214.jpeg
    742.2 KB · Views: 0
  • C0319DB4-1690-45F4-B8F6-7545FDA34FD1.jpeg
    C0319DB4-1690-45F4-B8F6-7545FDA34FD1.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 0