Foamboard Crak Yak...

Ranger_107

Elite member
Hey. I want to make a fun aerobatic plane with minimum sheets of foam and for a smaller area like my backyard. I landed on the crak yak, but I don't want to wait for all the stuff to arrive and I don't want to spend more than like 50 dollars on supplies, electronics, etc. so I thought HEY!! I have some foam board so why don't I make a crak yak out of foam board! So. I found a blueprint of topside and front view of an extra 300. ( I will have the link at the bottom.)
How can I turn that blueprint into tiled plans for me to edit a bit and put on foam? or should I just take measurements of the plans after there printed and scale it to the size I want? also, if I make it a 30-inch wing do you think a B pack will be able to power it or will I need to buy a new motor that's smaller.

Thanks!
Nick Aka Ranger_107

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/modernplanes/zlin/81521/view/zlin_extra_300/

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
pretty simple. import image into inkscape, then trace the outlines. group those images together at scale, then you can adjust and modify all of them together to achieve the size you want. to "tile" you will need adobe but i think you can get that for free.

let me know if you have issues.

good luck,

me :cool:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you don’t want to fly inverted, the ClarkY is a great choice.
If you want inverted flight, you will be much better off with symmetrical airfoil. The ClarkY will fly inverted but a symmetrical wing will fly inverted much better, almost as well as right side up.

Ranger_107

Elite member
pretty simple. import image into inkscape, then trace the outlines. group those images together at scale, then you can adjust and modify all of them together to achieve the size you want. to "tile" you will need adobe but i think you can get that for free.

let me know if you have issues.

good luck,

Thanks. I decided to just draw the plans with a ruler on foamboard like I usually do. before I cut it out though I will take a pic and than trace that into inkscape later as V1 of plans.

If you want inverted flight, you will be much better off with symmetrical airfoil. The ClarkY will fly inverted but a symmetrical wing will fly inverted much better, almost as well as right side up.
I thonk that I will just do a flat wing, like the crak yaks that I have seen. I have this laid out to be a 30-inch wing, 20-inch fuselage, and one sheet of foam. It will run off an 1806 from banggood and a 12 amp ESC. then the battery is a 600mAh 2s. probably on a 6 inch prop.
Probably whatever servos I can find maybe 5 gram but probably 9 gram. 3 servos in total.

Ranger_107

Elite member
I also think I will start learning areobatics on this plane so Clark Y will not really work.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It depends what you want. The Clark Y will do everything but inverted.
Even the TT can do a lot of aerobatics if you move the CG aft and increase the throws. No doubt the Extra will do more

Ranger_107

Elite member
Still working on plans but im finished cutting out parts!!!
I have a backlog of things to buy including a crack yak motor esc and battery, and EDF unit and esc, Bunch o servos, and fpv quad, and other small items. Probably will prioritize the Yak above all else.

IMG-9277 (1).jpg
IMG-9278 (1).jpg
IMG-9279 (1).jpg

Ranger_107

Elite member

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i would increase your rudder control surface area. you can never have too much rudder when it comes to 3D. i would also find some CF rod to place along your wing, if not it isn't going to last very long.

good luck,

Ranger_107

Elite member
I have some old carbon fiver arrow shafts which until now I didnt think I would need but Now I will!!
Thanks for the advice. I am going to try and fly it with the same rudder and if it doesent work out I will make a new rudder with a larger area.