Foamboard dlgs

flyboa

Elite member
@bracesport my mistake was applying the shrink film with an iron that was too hot. It also did not adhere very well which caused wing flutter on launch.

I have been flying these 1.5m DLG in weights from 135g to 190g with good results. The heavier ones can float just as good as the light ones and tend to fly like they are on rails. This one is 156g AUW.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - very nice to watch - looks like you have no wind to speak of!

Reading between the lines my ship at 280g will not be pretty! I will certainly try to launch it but maybe it will be destined for the slope!

flyboa

Elite member
I cut the center 8" off this damaged wing. Now it is a 52" wing that I am going to put on my Vorpal fuse.
20190820_230830.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - I wonder what the sweet spot is for the wing size - I have my new ship 95% ready (just waiting on some electronics) - in the meantime, I have been building a couple of spitfires - there is a feeling here the winter is turning towards spring! I have a great big pile of planes to maiden!

flyboa

Elite member
@bracesport All wing sizes seem to work for me. I like the idea of getting a used fuse and putting one of our wings on it as a cheaper hybrid version DLG. Our summer is still going strong. 43°c today.

flyboa

Elite member
Here are some of the supplies.

1.25mm JST connectors
Drywall fiberglass mesh tape
Heat shrink 3mm and 1"
PVC heat shrink 50mm. Pod cover.
2" blue foam sanded to pod shape and shrink pvc over. Also for a sanded nose that is hot glued to front.
.012 Beadalon 12 strand wire and 1mm crimps
.015" music wire
.039" music wire
Walmart transparent tape .75"×1300"
Duck brand clear packing tape
30ga silicone wire
Carbon tow 12k
4mm carbon flats
6mm carbon tube
Balsa tails 3/32" 4×36"

Plastic stock, credit cards
Popsicle stick for throw blade
Sand bag
Original gorilla glue
Hot glue and denatured alcohol to release glue
5 min epoxy
Beacon fabri tac or 3 in1 glue and acetone for thinner
Damp sponge
Metal yard stick
CA glue and accelerator
80 grit sand block
Dremel with cutting wheel

And thats not all. No wonder people would prefer to get an ARF rather than build their own

flyboa

Elite member
@bracesport New mid-wing design. I tried this before and thought I would give it another try. Dihedral came out too low but it was still pretty stable in the air. AUW 150g.

vlcsnap-2019-08-30-08h19m25s675.png

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - I think mine is just too heavy - so I am going to make another one with no frills (I also bought some CF flats) - do you just hot glue the wing onto the CF boom?

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - have you documented all your derivatives to create the flyboa-supreme-DLG?

what is your exposed boom length from TE to end of the boom? Mine could be a tad long also contributing to the tail weight bias?

Last edited: