Foamboard dlgs

GliderFlyer

Elite member
What is the simplest way to put a bottom layer on the tip of a fold over wing wing when the leading edge is curved? I know that a single layer tip like this is more prone to tip stalls.
IMG_20210315_111333[1].jpg

This is for an HLG I am making plans for BTW.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
What is the simplest way to put a bottom layer on the tip of a fold over wing wing when the leading edge is curved? I know that a single layer tip like this is more prone to tip stalls.
View attachment 195439
This is for an HLG I am making plans for BTW.
It's the other way actually - a wing without undercamber will be more prone to tip stalls. Anyways, one easy way to cover the tips is to use posterboard.

danskis

Master member
@GliderFlyer - this is my very simplistic and probably wrong explanation. The goal with either an undercambered wing tip, as in most FT foamboard planes, or wing tip "washout" is to create an area at the ends of the wings that stalls after the main part of the wing. So as the wing reaches stall angle, then stalls, it will stall straight ahead (better recovery) and not drop a wing tip and spiral. You should be putting some washout in your balsa glider by building it into the wing. Google "wingtip washout" and see what you get. Apologies if this is something you already know.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
@GliderFlyer - this is my very simplistic and probably wrong explanation. The goal with either an undercambered wing tip, as in most FT foamboard planes, or wing tip "washout" is to create an area at the ends of the wings that stalls after the main part of the wing. So as the wing reaches stall angle, then stalls, it will stall straight ahead (better recovery) and not drop a wing tip and spiral. You should be putting some washout in your balsa glider by building it into the wing. Google "wingtip washout" and see what you get. Apologies if this is something you already know.
Thanks, I did know what washout is, but I didn't know it could be done on foamboard. I'll probably try a whole bunch of experiments with this glider because it will be small. I'm making plans for the sunbird, by the way. It isn't necessarily a DLG, but it is an HLG. Should I start a new thread for this? I still have more questions.

Pilotr2020

How did you make the wing? I am thinking of doing this myself. Did you fold the foamboard over and sandwich a wood spar in between the 2 layers? Is it like a kline fogleman airfoil?

Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
How did you make the wing? I am thinking of doing this myself. Did you fold the foamboard over and sandwich a wood spar in between the 2 layers? Is it like a kline fogleman airfoil?
No folding just two layers of foam board laminated with a small amount of white gorilla glue. For more strength I like to add 1" wide strip of 1/16" balsa about 1/3 the length of wing from root when laminating.

Sand top and bottom wing halves to get a nice airfoil shape.

Last edited:

Apis

@flyboa

I am interested in making my first DLG a 1 meter model. Of all your builds, what is your favorite 1m design? I would like to copy that success.

Thanks.

flyboa

Elite member
@flyboa

I am interested in making my first DLG a 1 meter model. Of all your builds, what is your favorite 1m design? I would like to copy that success.

Thanks.
I prefer a 3 channel design. Flaperons, elevator, and no rudder. Hope you enjoy your first DLG

@dh04000 what is your experience level and what radio system are you using? I might be able to put together a short kit to get you started.

I have this wing set available from an old 1m build.

Attachments

• PXL_20211217_203757496.jpg
    PXL_20211217_203757496.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: