Foamboard dlgs

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Post plans/pics of your foamboard dlgs here. Don’t personally have any plans but will attach an image or two later of my own designs. Gonna try to get all the foamboard dlgs in one place as it is hard to find them by searching around.

flyboa

Elite member
I just maidened a 1.5m foam board DLG. AUW 187g. Tail is made from 3/32" balsa.

201557_9e06f67e609377ac122156a80d0b1e08.jpeg

Last edited:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Awesome, have always envied your work, also, how do you build your wing? Are they single layer, nerd nic speedwing style or some other way? I built a 30 incher the other day nn speedwing style and it seems like it floats well. Haven’t completely finished it yet but I test glided it in some mild wind and it seemed very promising.

flyboa

Elite member
I am using 2 layer foam for wing and 1 for ailerons. Will rebuild this one because I didn't like some things on it.

flyboa

Elite member
Ok, cool. I’ll have to try that. Just glue two layers together and shape them into an airfoil right?
a little bit trickier since the paper stays on the outside. So sand the most of the airfoil before glueing. The leading edge can be sanded after glue sets.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I am going to try gluing two sheets together, removing paper, sanding the airfoil, and then covering it with tape or something. I am trying to build a bug dlg clone from foamboard. I built one from balsa as a side arm launch, but it kept breaking as I didn’t use fiberglass on the pod.

bracesport

Legendary member
I am going to try glueing two sheets together, removing the paper, sanding the airfoil, and then covering it with tape or something. I am trying to build a bug DLG clone from foamboard. I built one from balsa as a sidearm launch, but it kept breaking as I didn’t use fibreglass on the pod.

With my build in progress, I found with the paper removed and the foamboard formed over your choice of spar that the surfaces come out really smooth. I have chosen to fibreglass the surface, but after sanding the leading and trailing edges, you would get a nice tape-able surface IMG_4664.JPG IMG_4665.JPG

Last edited:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Ooooh! I’ll take two. That looks good, I’ve been looking at finishing mine the past few days, just been trying to figure out a strong fuselage.

bracesport

Legendary member
very simple and very cool! It looks like you have sanded the internal surfaces of two foam sheets to make the main aerofoil, and then shaped the leading edges? Did you shoot any shots of the build stages?

bracesport

Legendary member
makes a lot of sense! Nice flight video BTW! Does not look like you use flaperons?

After I finish my current glider (which is a tad too heavy to be called a DLG to be honest) I am going to have a crack as a real DLG like yours!

flyboa

Elite member
makes a lot of sense! Nice flight video BTW! Does not look like you use flaperons?

After I finish my current glider (which is a tad too heavy to be called a DLG to be honest) I am going to have a crack as a real DLG like yours!
I was in a hurry and did not program flaperons. Originally was just a 2ch Rudder/Elevator ship. Dihedral was too low and it did not respond well.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I use an OrangeRx (r610) with the ft 5 gram servos, and those will run off of a 1s lipo, so lightweight can be pretty easily achieved without those expensive all in one dsmx boards.