Foamboard dlgs

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa looks like your 'tronics' are nice an compact!

Are your servos on the wing and in the tail? I would love to try a motorless glider soon, so I'd be keen to know what I need for a battery to do the business!

Oh, and maybe some 'dims' of your fuse design?

flyboa

Elite member
@flyboa looks like your 'tronics' are nice an compact!

Are your servos on the wing and in the tail? I would love to try a motorless glider soon, so I'd be keen to know what I need for a battery to do the business!

Oh, and maybe some 'dims' of your fuse design?
I like to keep all electronics in the pod. Decasing servos and depinning receiver mods are necessary if your pod is very small. When I put servos in wing it created a weak spot that eventially lead to stress creases.

flyboa

Elite member
do you have a schematic of the pod? I would love to draw up something compact too!
No schematic of pod. My new 1.5m is very light. AUW 135g.

I used Hobby King 5330 servos for dual ailerons and elevator. No rudder. Higher aspect ratio with a 5.5" cord. Shortened tail moment to 17.5" . 1/16" balsa tails. Less glue used. Shaved off about 25g.
20190207_012602.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
No schematic of pod. My new 1.5m is very light. AUW 135g.

I used Hobby King 5330 servos for dual ailerons and elevator. No rudder. Higher aspect ratio with a 5.5" cord. Shortened tail moment to 17.5" . 1/16" balsa tails. Less glue used. Shaved off about 25g.
View attachment 123549
Very nice looking build! Would love to see some close up pictures of how the guts are stuffed into the pod. Thanks!

bracesport

Legendary member
I expect you are using your laminated wing technique?

If you post a few critical dimensions I'd be happy to CAD up a close copy for your approval!

flyboa

Elite member
I expect you are using your laminated wing technique?

If you post a few critical dimensions I'd be happy to CAD up a close copy for your approval!
Yes, laminated wing. I made a jig that helps hold wing while drying. I will post a picture later The dimensions I use lately are of the Flitz2 diagram I found online.

Maybe we could use some leading edge, tail, and wing templates. Would make it easier to cut to a plan without the guess work.
flitz2.jpg

I also like the look of the BAMF
BAMF Standard Orange Camo.jpg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Are you stiffening the wing internally and how about the wing joint to the C/F tube? I'm getting my head around this for a build project!

I checked out those servos - very small!

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - Here is a basic wing root cross section can you advise what shape changes you would suggest based on your building experience? I am assuming we are 12mm thick with two sheets of FB? The wing is 165mm with the CG at 65mm. What is your dimension back from the front of the wing for the CG?

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 3.28.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 3.29.30 PM.png

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Brace,

flip the Aileron horn over and cut both horns down by at least 1/2 -- you'll end up with the control horn's hole 5mm or less above the aileron's top skin, and drilling a servo horn hole right at the edge of the shaft. Then cut a channel through the wing for a pushrod . . . and you end up with the top-drive setup:

1550199965812.png

It seems hard to install, but it's not. Only thing cleaner is RDS.

flyboa

Elite member
@flyboa - Here is a basic wing root cross section can you advise what shape changes you would suggest based on your building experience? I am assuming we are 12mm thick with two sheets of FB? The wing is 165mm with the CG at 65mm. What is your dimension back from the front of the wing for the CG?

View attachment 124183 View attachment 124184
looks good. My wing is about 10mm thick wing root with two layered foam board. Tapered down to 5mm at tip.

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa and @Craftydan - good start - ok, I’ll keep drawing and you guys help with the subtleties!

After that let’s do a community challenge with the design and everyone is welcome to tweak to compete!!

What do you think?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
This is a 'snipe' style wing section.

View attachment 124187

I'd have to disagree here. Snipe uses an airfoil that is light years ahead of that section. I know because I've flown both. To be clear, whether we like it or not, it is literally impossible to recreate either section from foamboard in a flyable manner. The AG series are tough enough...Snipe and later sections such as the Zone and Synergy have incredibly thin ailerons--so thin that flapperon leading edge doublers are required just to keep the wings from tearing apart when the flaps are deployed at a slow cruise (don't ask how I know that). You need pretty strong foam and a fair bit of other stuff thrown in.

For the purposes of foam DLGs, it's far wiser to look at sections that are viable for foamboard.

Whatever Flyboa is doing is far ahead of anything I or anyone else has come up with. The Spinster I designed a couple years ago was quite relevant then, but it's outdated compared to the models being posted in this thread. That's a steep hill to climb.