Foamboard dlgs

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - great flying - gotta love the weather there! what can I see on your leading edge?

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 9.23.13 PM.png

flyboa

Elite member
Finished a 1.5m DLG today. AUW 182g. Cord increased to 180mm at root. Nose cone is foam covered with 5 minute epoxy with a couple drops of acrylic black paint.

20190520_151953.jpg

20190521_071327.jpg

Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
@bracesport it is a 3ch. Flaperon and elevator. With 19g lead ballast in the wing I am going to see how it flys. No leading edge protection so I will have to be careful.

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - I have to keep my eye on you otherwise I miss out on or your learning! - FYI I bought some CF rods - 7mmx750mm 7g so I can contemplate a new design with sub 200 weight - my current ship is 260 AUW and looking at the weather I am finally hoping to fly it Thursday!

flyboa

Elite member
@bracesport maiden flight this morning. I used two strips of foam on leading edge giving it a 180mm cord at root. With the added weight and wider cord I could fly slower and float better.

Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
@bracesport the weather is pretty good for DLG flying. I am building a new wing set. Nice to keep a spare wing ready to go. I have 14 DLG of various sizes now.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - very envious! the weather here has been getting worse with winter on the way - every day I am waiting to launch the DLG to give you some competition! ;) (ha)!

flyboa

Elite member
@bracesport another nice morning here. I did get an 8 min flight when the thermals started up. My neighbor has requested I not fly over her backyard anymore. Will try flying in the nearby corral instead.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - goodness that is impressive - and the launch video is effortless - I have still to have a windless day for launching my DLG - wing peg is in and she is ready to go, but the weather here is not so stable (small island in the Pacific) - do you have a launch mode with some up and right?

In the meantime, I built a bigger sailplane based on the Pheonix 1.5m and managed a short maiden. Seems it will fly well, so now to try it on a slope, and if that goes well I will throw up my precious DLG (I really should build another backup)!