Foamboard dlgs

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
For Starter DLGers, here is the biggest Group on the Internet of totally Starter DLG resource. We aim to put a Model in the air for under £100 with RC gear and in 24 hours. Model Selection, Building Materials and Methods, Plans, Gluing, Finishing, RC Gear and Installation, Setup, Trimming, Launching and Flying are all richly covered. We also have Experts who will answer your Questions and point you in the right direction. Come and join us, you will be glad you did 😊 DLG / HLG COMMUNITY for Starters by Bob

https://www.facebook.com/groups/235097445497948
That was very inviting @RoosFlyer. I have been Eyeballing this thread for a long while. and even attempted one myself without success yet.

flyboa

Elite member
I sure will, I just like to have some sort of basis to start experimenting on. I know nothing on building or launching dlg's
Have you had any luck building and flying DLG yet?

You might be better off just buying a good DLG and then if you still want to build your own you will have a better understanding of DLG flying.

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Have you had any luck building and flying DLG yet?

You might be better off just buying a good DLG and then if you still want to build your own you will have a better understanding of DLG flying.

I hoped building would be cheaper and I would be less mad if I broke it. I sadly do not have enough money to buy a good one

flyboa

Elite member
I hoped building would be cheaper and I would be less mad if I broke it. I sadly do not have enough money to buy a good one
All good points. That is how I got started building DLG.

After scratch building my own DLG it was a real eye opener to fly a competition level carbon molded DLG. I still prefer to fly my foamboard planes.

Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
nice! What are you using for a nose cone these days?
PVC shrink wrap and for the nose I used dried spray foam that was sanded to shape and gorilla glued in place.
20221015_071012.jpg

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
For those of you that haven't flown a DLG, Flyboa makes building and flying one look easy - which its not.

@flyboa how does your Deviant compare to your foamboard planes? I imagine the launches are higher but does it stay up any longer in dead air?

flyboa

Elite member
For those of you that haven't flown a DLG, Flyboa makes building and flying one look easy - which its not.

@flyboa how does your Deviant compare to your foamboard planes? I imagine the launches are higher but does it stay up any longer in dead air?
I don't fly the Deviant much so I don't know how well it stays up in dead air. For most people building their own DLG is not recommended since the learning curve is too steep.

theBaldGorilla

Every iteration seems to get better and easier to build.

@flyboa I "found" you on YT. i have been flying r/c (everything, planes, heli's, quads, etc) since the 1960's. I am now starting on my DTFB phase! lol Could you or someone provide me a link to the wing construction method for your DLG's... Thank you I appreciate the effort... regards

flyboa

Elite member
I haven't made a build guide. As scratch builders it really depends on your own wits to figure things out. As stated earlier most people find it too difficult and get discouraged early.