Foamboard dlgs

theBaldGorilla

I haven't made a build guide. As scratch builders it really depends on your own wits to figure things out. As stated earlier most people find it too difficult and get discouraged early.

Well, I have already built two versions of yours by watching your videos so I will press on and figure out "my" way lol. Thank you for the response and the videos... really it is only about the wing for myself, the rest is relatively simple... btw, your flying site looks like my old place out in Scottsdale az northeast side...

flyboa

Elite member
Well, I have already built two versions of yours by watching your videos so I will press on and figure out "my" way lol. Thank you for the response and the videos... really it is only about the wing for myself, the rest is relatively simple... btw, your flying site looks like my old place out in Scottsdale az northeast side...
Yesterday the property owner stopped by to see me flying and invited me over to some other areas on his propery to fly in. He is a retired engineer who owns a full size glider. I might get him interested in RC flying again.

The wings I build now only take a couple hours to complete. The secret is using a portable bench belt sander. Cuts the work down significantly. Once you have a basic airfoil shape in mind then sand the leading edge and trailing edge. Final sanding is done with a block sander. Dampen the wing halves and apply a thin bead of white gorilla glue and place a sand bag while it cures. Usually sets up in 45 min.

Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
Finished another 1.5m foamboard DLG. Practice does help. I think I am at the limit with these 5330 servos when ballasted up to 170g. I will remove the 20g ballast to see how it flys. Next build will be with stronger servos.

Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
20221127_071459.jpg

Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
Finished a new 1.5m wing set. I like to use my BAMF2 as a template.
20221201_203255.jpg

Attachments

• 20221129_140114.jpg
    20221129_140114.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
I like how the top hinge worked on my last build. Will build another and see if I can repeat the performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inq

Inq

Elite member
I like how the top hinge worked on my last build. Will build another and see if I can repeat the performance.

I'm curious about this micro size stuff... is there a page you can reference that will help me find micro receivers, servos and if you do power, the motors and ESC that would commonly used with these?

Thanks.

Inq

Elite member
Couple of questions from the peanut gallery. Apologies if you mentioned in one of the earlier 36 pages.
  • What does the little tab on the end of one wing do?
  • Are these strong enough for something like hi-start or maybe something a little less aggressive than surgical tubing, but same concept?
  • You mentioned having to go to stronger servos because it was taking too much force for the surfaces. Is there some reason why you can't use control surface balancing to reduce the servo loads on sailplanes?

flyboa

Elite member
Couple of questions from the peanut gallery. Apologies if you mentioned in one of the earlier 36 pages.
  • What does the little tab on the end of one wing do?
  • Are these strong enough for something like hi-start or maybe something a little less aggressive than surgical tubing, but same concept?
  • You mentioned having to go to stronger servos because it was taking too much force for the surfaces. Is there some reason why you can't use control surface balancing to reduce the servo loads on sailplanes?
Check out discus launch gliding (DLG)