foamboard Dornier Libelle simple seaplane

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Update!

The foamwork is pretty much done, the wings are build and I sealed the bottom of the fuselage with some hot glue.

I build the wing in three sections, in the end, the outer sections will fold backwards for easier transportation.

At 2 Meters of wingspan, this thing is absolutely massive. Thats more than 78 inch! It used 8 sheets of foamboard!

IMG_6035[1].JPG

To power it, I took the largest motor and the largest prop I could find. At 16"x6", the prop is twice as large as the one from the small Libelle. Im only going to use a 3s 2200 battery.
IMG_6037[1].JPG

Here you can see how the wing is made. its an undercamber design with ribs and a bottom spar to give it lots of strenth.
IMG_6036[1].JPG

I still have to do a lot of work to attach the wing, but I hope I can finish it next week.

Apple Pie

Elite member
Update!

The foamwork is pretty much done, the wings are build and I sealed the bottom of the fuselage with some hot glue.

I build the wing in three sections, in the end, the outer sections will fold backwards for easier transportation.

At 2 Meters of wingspan, this thing is absolutely massive. Thats more than 78 inch! It used 8 sheets of foamboard!

View attachment 170328

To power it, I took the largest motor and the largest prop I could find. At 16"x6", the prop is twice as large as the one from the small Libelle. Im only going to use a 3s 2200 battery.
View attachment 170329

Here you can see how the wing is made. its an undercamber design with ribs and a bottom spar to give it lots of strenth.
View attachment 170330

I still have to do a lot of work to attach the wing, but I hope I can finish it next week.
Wow this is coming together great. I like what you have done to keep the undercamber wing and made it nice and strong. This is the only undercamber wing plane I have and it has a nice docile flight characteristic which makes it relaxing to fly. I suspect a larger version will handle the breezes better and be a real winner. Keep going!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Update!

The new engine pod is done, its more scale and curved, it hides the motor and has a better aerodynamic. I also added echaust tubes for a better appearence.

I also installed the center section of the wing. The only thing left is to install the outer sections of the wing and the pivoting mechanism and the control surfaces. I think Im done in one or two days.

IMG_6039[1].JPG

IMG_6038[1].JPG

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Update!

The new engine pod is done, its more scale and curved, it hides the motor and has a better aerodynamic. I also added echaust tubes for a better appearence.

I also installed the center section of the wing. The only thing left is to install the outer sections of the wing and the pivoting mechanism and the control surfaces. I think Im done in one or two days.

View attachment 170724
View attachment 170725
What did you use for exhaust tubes? That looks fantastic.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Oh Wow! This really looks great!
The folding wing set-up is brilliantly done. How strong does it "feel"? Just looking at it from the outside, I would think the hinge area to be an easy failure point. Well done though.

Every hinge connection is wood on wood, the wooden pieces are glued in. Each wing is attached on 4 points and each connection is fully removable.

+ this thing is super lightweight and will only do slow cruising and scale flying, so there are not much forces.

+ the wings need to be removable because otherwise it wont fit through the door.

+ it worked really well already with the ultralight I made.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Every hinge connection is wood on wood, the wooden pieces are glued in. Each wing is attached on 4 points and each connection is fully removable.

+ this thing is super lightweight and will only do slow cruising and scale flying, so there are not much forces.

+ the wings need to be removable because otherwise it wont fit through the door.

+ it worked really well already with the ultralight I made.
I noticed the spars you had on there, they look really durable. That wing's not going anywhere.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Its pretty much done! All electronics installed and working.

With all electronics installed, this thing weights only 1.45kg, which means less wing loading than the small one! Its also less weight than the E-Flite Timber, which has only 1.55 Meter wingspan!

Here are a few pictures of the whole thing:

IMG_6047[1].JPG

IMG_6048[1].JPG

IMG_6050[1].JPG

Engine detail
IMG_6051[1].JPG

IMG_6052[1].JPG

Battery hatch
IMG_6053[1].JPG

Elevator and rudder controls
IMG_6054[1].JPG

Top wing mount
IMG_6055[1].JPG

Bottom wing mount
IMG_6056[1].JPG

IMG_6057[1].JPG

Rear support
IMG_6058[1].JPG

Wing folding. The back support is still attached
IMG_6059[1].JPG

The rear part of the center cection moves up to allow the wing to fold back
IMG_6062[1].JPG

The two wing sections with wing supports
IMG_6061[1].JPG

These parts secure the wings. Six skewers with clips and two collars
IMG_6060[1].JPG

It takes about one minute to take the wings on/off.

The maiden will happen whenever the weather is good enouth. I want zero wind, because its so light and will get buped around by every little turbulence.

Things I still want to add: a pilot figure, a part to lock the wings together when they are folded together, a foil under the belly for better protection and a box to store all the extra parts so that I dont loose them.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Small update!

I added this tiny piece, which secures the wings when folded together.

IMG_6066[1].JPG

IMG_6063[1].JPG

IMG_6064[1].JPG

IMG_6065[1].JPG

And this box inside the fuselage to keep all the important stuff, so that I dont forget anything when Im taking the plane to the next lake
IMG_6067[1].JPG

Heres a little size comparison (everything in metric):

E-Flite Timber

Fat Biplane

Small Libelle II

200% Libelle II

Real Libelle II

Wingspan (Meter)

Wing area (Meter ^2)

Weight (Kilogramm)

Wing loading (Kilogramm/Meter^2)

Its really crazy how light the DIY planes are compared to the Timber, which is considered one of the best STOL planes. Its also interesting that the wing loading stayed roughly the same when increasing the size. Im surprised that this huge thing is still lighter than the Timber. I think it will fly extreamely slow, but only in very calm conditions. Thats the disadvantage of beeing light, the Timber for example can fly in much more wind. But I think that the big libelle is perfect for a calm evening at the lake.
IMG_6068[1].JPG

IMG_6069[1].JPG

IMG_6071[1].JPG

Im super excited and cant wait for the maiden. But weather is not good right now.