foamboard Dornier Libelle simple seaplane

Apple Pie

Elite member
Small update!

I added this tiny piece, which secures the wings when folded together.

View attachment 171539
View attachment 171540
View attachment 171541
View attachment 171542

And this box inside the fuselage to keep all the important stuff, so that I dont forget anything when Im taking the plane to the next lake
View attachment 171543

Heres a little size comparison (everything in metric):

E-Flite Timber

Fat Biplane

Small Libelle II

200% Libelle II

Real Libelle II

Wingspan (Meter)

Wing area (Meter ^2)

Weight (Kilogramm)

Wing loading (Kilogramm/Meter^2)

Its really crazy how light the DIY planes are compared to the Timber, which is considered one of the best STOL planes. Its also interesting that the wing loading stayed roughly the same when increasing the size. Im surprised that this huge thing is still lighter than the Timber. I think it will fly extreamely slow, but only in very calm conditions. Thats the disadvantage of beeing light, the Timber for example can fly in much more wind. But I think that the big libelle is perfect for a calm evening at the lake.
View attachment 171544
View attachment 171545
View attachment 171546

Im super excited and cant wait for the maiden. But weather is not good right now.
Wow, wow, wow, well done! Very impressive wing sweeping mechanism you have there. I hope it flies well on its maiden journey!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Maiden successful!

I recorded a short video with the Runcam, and I can tell you that it looks a lot more impressive in real life than on the video.

As I expected, its pretty floaty. it takes off and flies with very low power, maybe 7 or 8 minute flights are possible with the 2200, which is very small for a plane this size.

Hopefully, I can record something better tomorrow!

Apple Pie

Elite member
Maiden successful!

I recorded a short video with the Runcam, and I can tell you that it looks a lot more impressive in real life than on the video.

As I expected, its pretty floaty. it takes off and flies with very low power, maybe 7 or 8 minute flights are possible with the 2200, which is very small for a plane this size.

Hopefully, I can record something better tomorrow!

Nice and smooth!!!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
The paint is almost done, only the details are missing.

It flies pretty good, but for long flights, a calm and not so hot evening is best, otherwise the motor and ESC overheat easily. If its calm, you can fly with a lot less power resulting in longer flight times and cooler electronics.

I also really like the wing folding, it makes it so much easier to store and transport.

IMG_6074.JPG

IMG_6075.JPG

IMG_6077.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6080.JPG

Heres another video!

The paint is almost done, only the details are missing.

It flies pretty good, but for long flights, a calm and not so hot evening is best, otherwise the motor and ESC overheat easily. If its calm, you can fly with a lot less power resulting in longer flight times and cooler electronics.

I also really like the wing folding, it makes it so much easier to store and transport.

View attachment 171810
View attachment 171811
View attachment 171812
View attachment 171813
View attachment 171814
View attachment 171815

Heres another video!

Wow! You're the mad scientist of the bunch.

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
This is my Libelle I made recently. I covered it in duct tape to waterproof it to some extent. I put a cowling around the motor to make it look like a radial engine but I may remove it because it may effect flight characteristics. I hope to maiden it soon but it needs some nose weight. I am a bit late to the party though with the Libelle but I hope it flies well.

Attachments

• 9931B36F-03D5-4E53-A4D2-3077204963A7.jpeg
    9931B36F-03D5-4E53-A4D2-3077204963A7.jpeg
    930.3 KB · Views: 0

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
A late update!

I added a wooden propeller, which makes it look much more vintage and improves efficiency. I also cut off the tail and made it detacheble, so that it fits in my tiny car.
I took it to the Bodensee (Lake Constanz), where the real Libelle flew in the 1920s!

This thing is only flyable at the calmest days, but if its calm, it's a great flyer! Very relaxing, but also maneuverable. It can do pretty nice turns and even loops and I also did some sort of flat spin with it!

Arcfyre

Elite member
A late update!

I added a wooden propeller, which makes it look much more vintage and improves efficiency. I also cut off the tail and made it detacheble, so that it fits in my tiny car.
I took it to the Bodensee (Lake Constanz), where the real Libelle flew in the 1920s!

You really have that dialed in nicely. What a great slow flying airplane. Well done.

This thing is only flyable at the calmest days, but if its calm, it's a great flyer! Very relaxing, but also maneuverable. It can do pretty nice turns and even loops and I also did some sort of flat spin with it!

Scotto

Elite member
I know this thread is old but anyway this is my first scratchbuilt. I enjoyed building it and finding things I wanted to change for better or worse. I used Hobby Lobby foamboard come to find out it weighs twice as much. So with a 2s 2200 pretty far forward it balances great but its 755 grams flying. So it flies! Barely. 100% throttle and barely staying aloft. The 2206/1450 with 8x6 was not quite enough. The other problem was constantly fighting to not rollover in the breeze because I thought maybe I could get away with not having any dihedral. Im learning though. Suggestions for better power combo would be appreciated
Thanks to Dr. Looping Looie for the plan. Maybe I should stick to it next time...
20210121_002651.jpg
20210121_002447.jpg

I know this thread is old but anyway this is my first scratchbuilt. I enjoyed building it and finding things I wanted to change for better or worse. I used Hobby Lobby foamboard come to find out it weighs twice as much. So with a 2s 2200 pretty far forward it balances great but its 755 grams flying. So it flies! Barely. 100% throttle and barely staying aloft. The 2206/1450 with 8x6 was not quite enough. The other problem was constantly fighting to not rollover in the breeze because I thought maybe I could get away with not having any dihedral. Im learning though. Suggestions for better power combo would be appreciated
Thanks to Dr. Looping Looie for the plan. Maybe I should stick to it next time... View attachment 190203 View attachment 190201
Beautiful! So cool. You must be very pleased.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Thanks to Dr. Looping Looie for the plan. Maybe I should stick to it next time...

Very nice build!
Light wing loading is key with this plane, so I would suggest shaving as much off as possible. Obviously, rebuilding the whole thing will improve it a lot, but for now you can try to remove the paper from the inside of the fuselage. Then add the motor pod from my plans and get the thrust angle right. This moves the motor forward and allows you to use a smaller battery, because you dont need as much weight in the front. If it still doesnt work, add dihedral and remove the ailerons. I also had ailerons on mine and thought that they dont add much other than weight. Getting rid of the servos saves another 20 gramm or so.

Good luck with your plane!

Scotto

Elite member
Thanks. I was playing with the fishing scale and it had 11 oz thrust on 2s and 20 on 3s! Fixes that! I might try cutting big circles and taping over them in the tail boom maybe outer wing too just to lighten it up. But Ill see how it flies after dihedral. The weight might not be all bad. Its just so rare to get a chance to fly with no wind. Thanks again.

Apis

I'm looking at this bird and it makes me think about the FlyZone Tidewater.

How hard do you think making a tidewater tail would be on this design?

Scotto

Elite member
I'm looking at this bird and it makes me think about the FlyZone Tidewater.

How hard do you think making a tidewater tail would be on this design?
I dont think it would be hard, but it would put the elevator up out of the propwash making it less effective.