Foamboard F-22 EDF

Intashu

Elite member
Everything there looks perfect!
Looks a bit like a hot mess due to lighting angle and I got some light weight spackle to hide the cracks that I need to sand smooth. and I ripped the paper in a few spots by mistake. I think once painted this thing will look terrific!

I'm tempted to give this the Starscream paintjob like in the movies. (Although I doubt it will look even half as good as this picture here)

Attachments

• f_22_a_raptor___starscream_by_fyre_dragon.jpg
    f_22_a_raptor___starscream_by_fyre_dragon.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Looks a bit like a hot mess due to lighting angle and I got some light weight spackle to hide the cracks that I need to sand smooth. and I ripped the paper in a few spots by mistake. I think once painted this thing will look terrific!

I'm tempted to give this the Starscream paintjob like in the movies. (Although I doubt it will look even half as good as this picture here)
With a good stencil I don't see why it couldn't be done easily enough. If you have a vinyl cutter making the stencil would be a walk in the park.

Intashu

Elite member
Do you have a few better pictures of the nose assembly? I cannot seem to figure out how the next few pieces fit together! Maybe I lost a piece, but the canopy section seems way too narrow for the prior piece and matching it up the cuts don't align properly. But in the pictures I've looked through everything seems to fit together where it doesn't for me.

I'm sure it's something simple, just temporarily lost!

Edit: right after posting this I found a few uncut pieces that I believe are the parts I'm missing! Still got to sort out how the formers go for this section, but I'm getting closer each day!

Attachments

• 20210105_203951.jpg
    20210105_203951.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Homey

Elite member
Do you have a few better pictures of the nose assembly? I cannot seem to figure out how the next few pieces fit together! Maybe I lost a piece, but the canopy section seems way too narrow for the prior piece and matching it up the cuts don't align properly. But in the pictures I've looked through everything seems to fit together where it doesn't for me.

Edit: right after posting this I found a few uncut pieces that I believe are the parts I'm missing! Still got to sort out how the formers go for this section, but I'm getting closer each day!
Man, you're a clean builder! Very nice. The triangular portions you have circled have their own little piece you slip in. It's like Jenga! Lol. Very rewarding when you figure it out. I built the canopy first to give me the outline of the opening. Don't think "formers" for the nose. Think of a couple of u shaped pieces for the cockpit and then a couple of complete sections for the nose. My explanation is a bit weak..... but then, so is my intelligence!

Peter

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

Alright so homey hit the nail on the head, there are two triangle pieces that get beveled and put into place there. Surprisingly that was the easiest and best looking way of adding that transition. The only former for the nose is the former that gets attached to the main bottom plate. There is a small rectangular piece that goes across the seam between the first and second nose skin pieces. That’s to help set the width. After that all the other skins set the angles all by themselves, as long as the seams are tight you’ll know everything is aligned properly.

Intashu

Elite member
I think I got the rest of this sorted out then. The former 10 and 11 get glued together to make up the back of the nose/canopy section of the plane then with the former brace running along the top of those pieces towards the back to push up the skin where the intake area is.

from there it's just trim and fit the last few pieces together. I *should* be looking at a nearly completed plane by the end of the day then.
Thanks!

Homey

Elite member
Tried to maiden today. I already have 35g in the tail boom for ballast. Needs more. Probably because the edf is quite forward. Also, taking a look at the elevons, I'm going to add just a touch of reflex. Just a little nose gonk (which are my trademark). Luckily about 6 inches of snow to limit damage!

Cheers,

Peter

Intashu

Elite member
Got wiremanagement done and nose built. Should be doing final assembly this evening.

I gotta say it looks amazing.. I'm very nervous about weight however. I may have been a little generous with the hot glue in a couple places. But I haven't weighed it yet either. I put a 3s edf in it, I intend to run it on 4, but seriously intend to avoid full throttle, just wanted to be able to burst a little extra power if I needed it. And the kv isn't that much higher than the 4s one which I felt was underpowered.

That being said my 4s lipos are 1500mah.. Reading your comments make some think I should pickup a smaller and lighter battery before attempting to crash this beautiful bird!

What are your planes weighing in at, with and without batteries? If mines too heavy comparatively I'll absolutely be sourcing a lighter battery to compensate!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Got wiremanagement done and nose built. Should be doing final assembly this evening.

I gotta say it looks amazing.. I'm very nervous about weight however. I may have been a little generous with the hot glue in a couple places. But I haven't weighed it yet either. I put a 3s edf in it, I intend to run it on 4, but seriously intend to avoid full throttle, just wanted to be able to burst a little extra power if I needed it. And the kv isn't that much higher than the 4s one which I felt was underpowered.

That being said my 4s lipos are 1500mah.. Reading your comments make some think I should pickup a smaller and lighter battery before attempting to crash this beautiful bird!

What are your planes weighing in at, with and without batteries? If mines too heavy comparatively I'll absolutely be sourcing a lighter battery to compensate!
Mine weighed just under 14 oz without a battery. I wish I could drive out to watch you maiden it, given you’re so local to me. It sucks that corona has to be a thing.

Intashu

Elite member
Not sure If I'm confident or foolish, but I started on the detail work for this plane before I even attempted to fly it.
I WILL be flying it this week sometime I expect... But It wasn't quite ready till it was too late into yesterday.

I almost regret going with Starscream's paint job, and I have to take some creative liberties here as I absolutely got a few area's wrong (kept drawing them in too small, then found I have huge gaps in the design.) But I'd wager I'm about 1/4 of the way done with marking it up. Several area's need to be gone over again to darken and make them consistent.. Once it gets a dash of white on it and clear coat I think this plane will be by far my best looking plane..

so again... I do hope it FLIES almost as good as it looks.. I'm almost scared to maiden it now!

Attachments

• 20210111_050215.jpg
    20210111_050215.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0