Foamboard F-22 EDF

Homey

Elite member
Not sure If I'm confident or foolish, but I started on the detail work for this plane before I even attempted to fly it.
I WILL be flying it this week sometime I expect... But It wasn't quite ready till it was too late into yesterday.

I almost regret going with Starscream's paint job, and I have to take some creative liberties here as I absolutely got a few area's wrong (kept drawing them in too small, then found I have huge gaps in the design.) But I'd wager I'm about 1/4 of the way done with marking it up. Several area's need to be gone over again to darken and make them consistent.. Once it gets a dash of white on it and clear coat I think this plane will be by far my best looking plane..

so again... I do hope it FLIES almost as good as it looks.. I'm almost scared to maiden it now!
Wow! That is a thing of beauty right there...

Peter

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Not sure If I'm confident or foolish, but I started on the detail work for this plane before I even attempted to fly it.
I WILL be flying it this week sometime I expect... But It wasn't quite ready till it was too late into yesterday.

I almost regret going with Starscream's paint job, and I have to take some creative liberties here as I absolutely got a few area's wrong (kept drawing them in too small, then found I have huge gaps in the design.) But I'd wager I'm about 1/4 of the way done with marking it up. Several area's need to be gone over again to darken and make them consistent.. Once it gets a dash of white on it and clear coat I think this plane will be by far my best looking plane..

so again... I do hope it FLIES almost as good as it looks.. I'm almost scared to maiden it now!
My jaw just fell to the floor!!!! Holy cow that is absolutely incredible!! I’d be scared to fly that :LOL::LOL:

AussieBison

Wow! So clean build Intashu. :) And the designs look awesome too!

Not sure if you got asked this before, but was this F22 CNC / laser cut? or just hand cut with a lot of patience? :D

Intashu

Elite member
Wow! So clean build Intashu. :) And the designs look awesome too!

Not sure if you got asked this before, but was this F22 CNC / laser cut? or just hand cut with a lot of patience? :D
sharp blade, and light weight spackle when the parts didn't line up quite right. although I DID have to re-cut about 4 parts because after sorting out what goes where they came out too crooked to use.

Probably helps that I've made at least 25+ foam-board planes in 2020.... I kind of got carried away!

AussieBison

sharp blade, and light weight spackle when the parts didn't line up quite right. although I DID have to re-cut about 4 parts because after sorting out what goes where they came out too crooked to use.

Probably helps that I've made at least 25+ foam-board planes in 2020.... I kind of got carried away!

Nicely done, hard to tell apart from Grifflyer's earlier laser cut build. Don't forget to take and post videos of the flights :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

That looks fantastic!

Intashu

Elite member
Video linked below. But I had a successful maiden on 3s. The 4s I wanted to fly it with didn't arrive till right as we got home. And with a snow storm on the way it will be a bit before I can fly it again.

It's a good stable plane too! Top is about 90% done. Needs some lines cleaned up and the white added. (oh and paint the canopy!) The bottom I was waiting till I confirmed it flew since it's a belly lander. I'll habe to work on that this weekend!

The thing looks absolutely incredibly however! Real solid plane and design through and through!

Edit: here's the video
my father filmed it. And did it vertically, and yes I totally almost crashed it at one point. My controls are dialed way down and it didnt have the elevator throw I needed at one point... But I managed to save it!

Attachments

• 20210113_161500.jpg
    20210113_161500.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210113_161455.jpg
    20210113_161455.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Video linked below. But I had a successful maiden on 3s. The 4s I wanted to fly it with didn't arrive till right as we got home. And with a snow storm on the way it will be a bit before I can fly it again.

It's a good stable plane too! Top is about 90% done. Needs some lines cleaned up and the white added. (oh and paint the canopy!) The bottom I was waiting till I confirmed it flew since it's a belly lander. I'll habe to work on that this weekend!

The thing looks absolutely incredibly however! Real solid plane and design through and through!

my father filmed it. And did it vertically, and yes I totally almost crashed it at one point. My controls are dialed way dow and it didnt have the elevator throw I needed at one point... But I managed to save it!
That flew amazingly!!!

Aslansmonkey

my father filmed it. And did it vertically, and yes I totally almost crashed it at one point. My controls are dialed way down and it didnt have the elevator throw I needed at one point... But I managed to save it!

Your camera man SUCKS! He has trouble focusing, loses the plane at one point and holds the phone the wrong way! What an idiot!

And before anyone flames me....I was the camera man. :)

Really flew nice. Too bad I didn't get a better recording. Has me seriously thinking of upscaling this for a 70mm edf.

Timmy

Legendary member
I'm thinking of skinning this. Is it "skinable"? I want to go with this scheme:
1611717899261.jpg

I know its not an F-22 its a CF-18

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Nice detail work with the sharpie mate that looks really good.

Abdul Bari

Introducing the 50mm EDF F-22! This is a single engine, easy to build, fun to fly EDF jet. It's not the biggest or fastest F-22 out there, but it certainly is fun!! It runs on a single EDF to simplify things and only uses two 9g servos for bank and yank control. It has a wide flight envelope ranging from low and slow to high speed craziness!

View attachment 186785
View attachment 186786
View attachment 186787 View attachment 186788

Plans:
F-22 Plans
Huh? What? Can't hear you! 50mm edf,I didn't hear that! All i herd was " scale up the plans to make it a 64
mm😏♥️"

Last edited: