Foamboard F-22 EDF

Intashu

Elite member
I'm Stubborn... We can rebuild it... We have the technology!

I gotta say the one thing this design would benefit from is a extra page added which just has the nose/canopy pieces on it! Didn't notice before that the parts were spaced out on each page so I ended up tossing out a bunch of spare paper printing the front end of the plane! I'll wrap up the last few parts tomorrow and then paint it before attaching it on..

Matching up the design again I'm tempted to just make it wall art... But I gotta fly it again now that the weather's getting nice. It's on my "to do" list this year to make a 140% version. When I'm not crashing, it just flies too well to give up on it!

Attachments

• 20210505_214348.jpg
    20210505_214348.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm Stubborn... We can rebuild it... We have the technology!

I gotta say the one thing this design would benefit from is a extra page added which just has the nose/canopy pieces on it! Didn't notice before that the parts were spaced out on each page so I ended up tossing out a bunch of spare paper printing the front end of the plane! I'll wrap up the last few parts tomorrow and then paint it before attaching it on..

Matching up the design again I'm tempted to just make it wall art... But I gotta fly it again now that the weather's getting nice. It's on my "to do" list this year to make a 140% version. When I'm not crashing, it just flies too well to give up on it!
We can make it better. Faster. Stronger... You're dating yourself!
Super ultra mega-like.

JustPlaneChris

Now that my little Delta is flying, time for the next build! I got all the parts cut out for the F-22, and have done the wing assembly (which is pretty obvious) but now I'm a bit puzzled. The skins are numbered, but I can't figure out if Skin 1 is starting at the top rear, top front, bottom front... you get the idea. I'm also not sure where the formers are located, other than the ones that go between the wings up top (again, obvious). I've scoured the thread for pictures, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can anyone give me some hints?

Chris

Attachments

• f22wings.jpg
    f22wings.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 0
  • f22parts.jpg
    f22parts.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Now that my little Delta is flying, time for the next build! I got all the parts cut out for the F-22, and have done the wing assembly (which is pretty obvious) but now I'm a bit puzzled. The skins are numbered, but I can't figure out if Skin 1 is starting at the top rear, top front, bottom front... you get the idea. I'm also not sure where the formers are located, other than the ones that go between the wings up top (again, obvious). I've scoured the thread for pictures, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can anyone give me some hints?

Chris
I'm in the same spot, will let you know if I find anything

GliderFlyer

Elite member

Chris
When I attached the skins, I do not remember the numbers corresponding to their location. I did a lot a dry fitting. But you can also figure out which ones go next to each other by sorting each by their characteristics. For example, I believe that one of the sides of the skins had a bevel on each edge while the other side did not. The location of the cavities that align the skins on the formers is the biggest indicator though. I hope this was able to give you some clarification, if that's the right word.

JustPlaneChris

Thanks! I'm sure the skins will start to make sense as I get them beveled and peeled. I'm not sure about the formers, but that should start to make more sense once I get the ducting rolled and the fan installed. There are pictures of that in the thread, which is a big help. :)

Chris

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

Chris
Skin 1 and skin 2 go on the top of the plane, skin 1 goes right on top of the servos and skin 2 gets placed immediately behind it. These two get placed first because they give the wing stiffness and make sure the wing doesn’t get warped while you’re building everything else. Skin 3 gets placed on the bottom and then you start working your way backwards. All the skins and formers have different sized slots and holes for alignment. No two formers will go in the same spot, so if you’re confused on where something should go you can just dry fit it until you find where it slots into place properly.

JustPlaneChris

Thank you sir! I will start the skinning tonight, my EDF arrived and I've got the ducting cut and taped up for test fitting.

Chris

JustPlaneChris

Wow, that's going to look great! I see you're running the pushrods to the top surface of the elevator, rather than beneath. Any particular reason for top vs bottom? I think I've seen it both ways in the thread.

Chris

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Wow, that's going to look great! I see you're running the pushrods to the top surface of the elevator, rather than beneath. Any particular reason for top vs bottom? I think I've seen it both ways in the thread.

Chris
cut my score on the wrong side, but I was also referencing a pic that showed it on top, didn't realize until I started cutting and placing the bottom formers that they were supposed to go on the bottom. Just finished with skins 1,2, and 3 , starting to look like a plane now, LOL! rest of skins should go easy

IMG_20210608_231935935.jpg
IMG_20210608_231913461.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
cut my score on the wrong side, but I was also referencing a pic that showed it on top, didn't realize until I started cutting and placing the bottom formers that they were supposed to go on the bottom. Just finished with skins 1,2, and 3 , starting to look like a plane now, LOL! rest of skins should go easy

View attachment 201657 View attachment 201658
That is a beautiful scheme so far!! And from what I can see everything is in the correct spot.

JustPlaneChris

So I did a thing this morning. For no real reason other than "because I can" I drew up a pair of plastic pants to replace the paper pants in the F-22. It's on the printer now, but I'm not going to cut out the already-installed paper ones until I'm sure I like the plastic version. :)

Attachments

• plastic pants.jpg
    plastic pants.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0