Foamboard F-22 EDF

JustPlaneChris

If they work, can you share the STL/Cad files? Looks awesome.
Absolutely! Now that they are halfway printed, I thought to measure the outlet area and it's only 60% FSA. I've redrawn the exits to get 80% FSA and will print just those bits later. It will require enlarging the holes in the last former, but I'm concerned that 60% FSA exhaust area may be restricting performance and/or increasing current draw.

Chris

JustPlaneChris

Test fit looks good! Pay no attention to the mutilated formers, I had to do surgery to get the paper pants out. :rolleyes: I had to do a tiny bit of trimming to the opening in the wing, since the printed ducting flares out a bit more than the paper. These are still the stock diameter exits, the larger ones are on the printer now. I may not be able to use them, there's very little meat around them in that last former. We'll see.

The paper version weighed 18.5g, printed weighs 25.5g. Since I've read this tends to run nose heavy, that's an extra 7g where it needs it. :sneaky:

Chris

Attachments

• plastic pants 3.jpg
    plastic pants 3.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 0
  • plastic pants 2.jpg
    plastic pants 2.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 0

Michael9865

Elite member
Test fit looks good! Pay no attention to the mutilated formers, I had to do surgery to get the paper pants out. :rolleyes: I had to do a tiny bit of trimming to the opening in the wing, since the printed ducting flares out a bit more than the paper. These are still the stock diameter exits, the larger ones are on the printer now. I may not be able to use them, there's very little meat around them in that last former. We'll see.

The paper version weighed 18.5g, printed weighs 25.5g. Since I've read this tends to run nose heavy, that's an extra 7g where it needs it. :sneaky:

Chris

They/it looks great.

JustPlaneChris

OK guys and gals, now that I'm satisfied these fit, here are the STL files!

NOTES:
  • As you can see in the photo below, the outlets that are enlarged to ~85% FSA pretty much obliterate former 7. I'm going to make it work, but it won't be beautiful.
  • File F22Exhaust2-originalsize will fit in the stock former 7, and basically duplicate the paper ones in outlet area. Obviously that outlet area works, but I can't leave anything alone. :unsure:
  • F22Exhaust1 is the portion that slips over the fan housing. It's not a super tight fit, you'll want to tape it on.
  • Print two copies of F22Exhaust2. They have a flange that lets them slip over the ends of Exhaust1.
  • DO NOT GLUE THESE IN WITH HOT GLUE! You will distort the ducts. (ask me how I know) Use tacky glue, epoxy, foam safe CA, etc.
This was printed in generic PLA. If you are interested in my printer settings (Prusa i3 Mk3s) here they are:
  • 0% infill
  • Brim width 4mm
  • 0.12mm layer height
  • 0 top and bottom layers
  • 1 perimeter
  • skirt height 3 layers, distance 0mm from object
  • NO COOLING
  • First layer temp 215c, other layers 210c
  • Bed temp 60c
I've played around to come up with those settings, and it really works great. Excellent layer adhesion and very light. Any other questions, please ask!

And if I haven't already said it, THANK YOU @Grifflyer for doing all this work with the design and plans. (y)

Chris

Attachments

• largeroutlet.jpg
    largeroutlet.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 0
  • F22Exhaust2-originalsize.stl
    564.2 KB · Views: 0
  • F22Exhaust2.stl
    517.1 KB · Views: 0
  • F22Exhaust1.stl
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

chris398mx

Master member
OK guys and gals, now that I'm satisfied these fit, here are the STL files!

NOTES:
  • As you can see in the photo below, the outlets that are enlarged to ~85% FSA pretty much obliterate former 7. I'm going to make it work, but it won't be beautiful.
  • File F22Exhaust2-originalsize will fit in the stock former 7, and basically duplicate the paper ones in outlet area. Obviously that outlet area works, but I can't leave anything alone. :unsure:
  • F22Exhaust1 is the portion that slips over the fan housing. It's not a super tight fit, you'll want to tape it on.
  • Print two copies of F22Exhaust2. They have a flange that lets them slip over the ends of Exhaust1.
  • DO NOT GLUE THESE IN WITH HOT GLUE! You will distort the ducts. (ask me how I know) Use tacky glue, epoxy, foam safe CA, etc.
This was printed in generic PLA. If you are interested in my printer settings (Prusa i3 Mk3s) here they are:
  • 0% infill
  • Brim width 4mm
  • 0.12mm layer height
  • 0 top and bottom layers
  • 1 perimeter
  • skirt height 3 layers, distance 0mm from object
  • NO COOLING
  • First layer temp 215c, other layers 210c
  • Bed temp 60c
I've played around to come up with those settings, and it really works great. Excellent layer adhesion and very light. Any other questions, please ask!

And if I haven't already said it, THANK YOU @Grifflyer for doing all this work with the design and plans. (y)

Chris

Thanks, these look great. so if I am reading correctly, these are stock size files? Are you going to post the larger ones, if they work out?

JustPlaneChris

Time for some update pictures! Hopefully these will help future builders. I'm not super happy with how some of the seams turned out, but I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't a Scale Masters entry, it's a $3 foam board airframe! :p

Chris

Attachments

• raptor6.jpg
    raptor6.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 0
  • raptor5.jpg
    raptor5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • raptor4.jpg
    raptor4.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 0
  • raptor3.jpg
    raptor3.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 0
  • raptor2.jpg
    raptor2.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 0
  • raptor1.jpg
    raptor1.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 0

JustPlaneChris

More progress! All that's really left to do is the canopy / hatch. After that, it's time for a poly wipe and some spackle to fix the areas I'm not happy with (like right behind the canopy area... ugh). Overall though, it's looking OK.

Chris

Attachments

• raptor9.jpg
    raptor9.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • raptor8.jpg
    raptor8.jpg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 0
  • raptor7.jpg
    raptor7.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 0

JustPlaneChris

Looking great! Yeah, now that I know where all the pieces go I know I could do a better job on the build. While looking at it from the back I realized I put the nose on a bit crooked. :oops: Oh well, I'm sure it'll fly.

If it really flies great, maybe I'll just scale the next one up for the 80mm fan I picked up for cheap over on RCG... :unsure:

Chris

Attachments

• raptor1.jpg
    raptor1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • raptor2.jpg
    raptor2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Looking great! Yeah, now that I know where all the pieces go I know I could do a better job on the build. While looking at it from the back I realized I put the nose on a bit crooked. :oops: Oh well, I'm sure it'll fly.

If it really flies great, maybe I'll just scale the next one up for the 80mm fan I picked up for cheap over on RCG... :unsure:

Chris
Looking good!

skymaster

Elite member
This one was actually laser cut! It definitely helps the parts fit easier. But it's not impossible to do by hand cutting. For instance this first version of the F-22 was hand cut. As long as you go slowly it's possible to get laser precision
View attachment 182153
That sounds like a challenge, but I think this plane hate me i have built a couple of them and they come out like crap. my hanger if full so maybe in the future. by the way nice design. kind of looks like pinguins rc.

JustPlaneChris

Almost there! Basic colors are on (two different kinds of primer). Now I just need to come up with some pseudo-markings and do some sort of hatch latch. Not perfect by any measure, but it kinda looks like a Raptor. :)

Chris

PS: Ignore the naked Mamba in the background, it just got de-stickerfied in preparation for some custom vinyl.

Attachments

• raptor and mamba.jpg
    raptor and mamba.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0