Foamboard F-22 EDF

dehager

Always late to the party. I finished converting Grifflyers plans to .gocde and just started cutting this morning. I have had so much fun with the Aero L-39 that this one has to be good.

I have been getting between 6-8 minutes with the 50mm 3S setup on the L-39 and I will use the same for the F-22. Metal gear servos for the elevons on this build. Also will be using the Aura 5 Lite controller. It has made launching the small EDF's so easy with launch assist that I wont build hand launched EDF's without it anymore.

FMS 50mm 11 blade, 3S 5400kV
40A Turnigy Plush-32 ESC
3S 1350mAh - 1500mAh
Emax ES08MAII 12g Metal Gear Servos
Aura 5 Lite Controller

Capture 01.JPG
Capture 03.JPG

IMG_6490.jpg

dehager

The needle cutter really shines in cutting out the intricate parts of the F-22.

There are various posts of it here on FT but no single build guide. It is a custom sized Open Builds Acro frame at 40" (1000mm) x 60" (1500mm). This allows me to cut full sized sheets of MPF (Model Plane Foam) which are 24" x 48".

Here are the basic specs:
- All parts printed in PETG Filament
- Modified ERC TimSav Needle Cutter Head
- The Z Axis is of my design
- Open Builds Acro Frame
- Open Builds Black Box controller and PWR Supply
- Foam Ripper Vacuum Manifold
- Frame is 20 x 20 V-Slot
- Counterweight for vertical wall mounting

I highly recommend the ERC TimSav for those who do not want to design their own. Lots of people available to print the parts at a reasonable cost for those who do not have a 3D printer.

IMG_6497.jpg

JustPlaneChris

Awesome! :cool:

The rebuild of mine is still coming along. I decided to use the time tested brown paper and white glue method, with a slight modification: Rather than thinning the glue with water, I thinned it with WBPU. So far it looks pretty good! The fuselage is still wet, so still wrinkled. Wings looked the same till they dried.

Chris

Attachments

• raptorhalfpapered.jpg
    raptorhalfpapered.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 0

JustPlaneChris

That looks flipping AMAZING! You are making me rethink that needle cutter idea. I didn't think I'd be building enough foam board planes to justify it, but man... that looks so good.

My Raptor rebuild is finally finished, and it's brown now because I covered it in brown paper! I'm not super happy with how it turned out, but I have to keep reminding myself that not only is it just a foam board airplane, but it's one that has already been smashed! :p

It picked up a bit of weight in the rebuild, but the tailerons helped with the CG. Thrust to weight seems nearly 1:1, so I'm betting it'll fly. Re-maiden should happen some time this week, weather permitting.

Attachments

• raptorrebuilt.jpg
    raptorrebuilt.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • raptorrebuilt2.jpg
    raptorrebuilt2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • raptorrebuilt3.jpg
    raptorrebuilt3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • raptorrebuilt4.jpg
    raptorrebuilt4.jpg
    825.3 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That looks flipping AMAZING! You are making me rethink that needle cutter idea. I didn't think I'd be building enough foam board planes to justify it, but man... that looks so good.

My Raptor rebuild is finally finished, and it's brown now because I covered it in brown paper! I'm not super happy with how it turned out, but I have to keep reminding myself that not only is it just a foam board airplane, but it's one that has already been smashed! :p

It picked up a bit of weight in the rebuild, but the tailerons helped with the CG. Thrust to weight seems nearly 1:1, so I'm betting it'll fly. Re-maiden should happen some time this week, weather permitting.
Looks great from the pics, good luck on the remaiden!

dehager

Here are a few more build pics of the servos and pushrods as the build progresses. Coffee sip stirrers make good pushrod housings. These are 8" long and about 3/32 in diameter. 3D printed SP0NZ control horns (y).

The duct was joined with medium CA and adhered to the formers with RC/56 canopy glue. It adheres well, absorbs vibration and is removable for repairs and removing components when it is time to retire the airplane. I have used it on all of my EDF's including my F-16 with a 70mm.

IMG_6667.jpg
IMG_6668.jpg
IMG_6669.jpg

Last edited:

JustPlaneChris

There really aren’t any instructions, but there are plenty of pictures in this thread that will help. Between those and test fitting of parts, I was able to figure it out. How many foam board planes have you built? This is definitely not one for first time builders, or even second time builders. It’s kinda tricky

Phin G

Elite member
There really aren’t any instructions, but there are plenty of pictures in this thread that will help. Between those and test fitting of parts, I was able to figure it out. How many foam board planes have you built? This is definitely not one for first time builders, or even second time builders. It’s kinda tricky
Yes I definitely second that, i have build many many many ft planes and i still find this a little iffy on the internal bits. @Free FPWEE this is definitely not a first build. Although this looks amazing and yes it is fast and will impress your friends having it smash down into the ground at X mph then it would not look nice as a lawn dart. If this is your first build then i would go with the FT Tiny Trainer. If you have flown before then i still would recommend the TT as foamies have different tendencies to other rtf,bnf,pnp planes. If you have built and flown many complicated builds and edf’s then go ahead but if not stay clear of edfs and complicated fast flying planes for some time and as you get better then you can progress to EDF’s and then onto the f22.
Hope this is informative, welcome to the hobby.

Phin G

Elite member
I have built 13+ ft planes including the tiny trainer. Just wanted to ask if there are any instructions @Grifflyer made like he did to the l-39 albatross
Cool, Griffy hasn’t been on the forum for the past month, i dont think he has any build notes on the plane. There could be some notes on the release page (if this isnt the release page) but yeah, just try and see what goes wrong etc trial and error basically

Timmy

Legendary member
This is definitely not one for first time builders, or even second time builders. It’s kinda tricky
agreed
I have built 13+ ft planes including the tiny trainer. Just wanted to ask if there are any instructions @Grifflyer made like he did to the l-39 albatross
No plans. Just dry fit a lot. It was designed really well though, in that no two formers or skins will fit in the same spot (unless you force them). Go slowly and never glue until you're perfectly sure that that piece goes where its supposed to go. Don't expect the build to come out clean the first time building it.

irfyusoff

Introducing the 50mm EDF F-22! This is a single engine, easy to build, fun to fly EDF jet. It's not the biggest or fastest F-22 out there, but it certainly is fun!! It runs on a single EDF to simplify things and only uses two 9g servos for bank and yank control. It has a wide flight envelope ranging from low and slow to high speed craziness!

View attachment 186785
View attachment 186786
View attachment 186787 View attachment 186788

Plans:
F-22 Plans
Hi Griff. Love the build. Im actually never build a jet and edf before. Do you have a build video or images with instructions?

irfyusoff

Hi Griff. Is it possible if I alter the edf mount to 64mm and keep it at this scale? I currently have a twin edf from arrows rc

rkozak

HI everyone

Can someone post a good picture of skins 35 & 36 placed/glued into place? I'm sure they go at the front of the jet intakes, but I want to make sure before I glue them in place. Here are some pics showing where I believe they go.
IMG_1760.JPG
IMG_1761.JPG

Last edited: